Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many hits to kill?

Seems like a lot of MMO's are shying away from the concept of fighting being able to be ended fairly quickly.

Veteran characters amass huge amounts of hitpoints and can take hours to kill if they are supported properly.

Am I the only one who thinks that short but skillful fights are the way to go? This helps a skillfull single player do well against stacked odds/ganks and rewards skill, not just time invested.

1 shot kills can be a bit much, but 2-5 hits for a kill would be perfect IMO.

Re:How many hits to kill?

The best combat I've seen to date is in M+B:Warband. If you have a duel with an equally talented player it can last for minutes. If players have some serious tactics they can end fights in seconds and if players are being mobbed then they can sometimes win if they fight like demons.

I'd like to see a similar system used in Xsyon but really I'm only concerned whether player skill will ocme out on top of character stats.

Also, a question about the combat system. Will there be friendly fire? In melee and ranged?
    Brum, brum.

I am pretty sure there has to be friendly fire. Else you would not be able to kill everyone. However I wonder what happens if you by incident happen to hit someone, or someone jump in front of you while your fighting and you kill them.

Cradlejoe wrote:
    The best combat I've seen to date is in M+B:Warband. If you have a duel with an equally talented player it can last for minutes. If players have some serious tactics they can end fights in seconds and if players are being mobbed then they can sometimes win if they fight like demons.

I'd like to see a similar system used in Xsyon but really I'm only concerned whether player skill will ocme out on top of character stats.

Also, a question about the combat system. Will there be friendly fire? In melee and ranged?
    I think the ability to have long lasting 1v1's against very skilled fighters is fine, but the problem is that if it takes 20 hits to kill someone and you are attacked 2v1 you have no chance of winning.

As seen in Darkfall, groups of people have no fear against single players as if one member gets to half HP they can simply run around like mad and then regen HP when their target attacks someone else.

Kiting in PvP is terrible IMO.

Something I think that is vital to good combat is the speed at which your character can move whilst in a combat stance.
    Brum, brum.

Xsyon has said in another post that we will be able to target body parts. This leads me to believe that certain areas of the body will be more "vital" than others. Perhaps hitting someone in the head with a rock will end a fight quickly, where as hitting them in the arm will simply impair their attack. With this kind of system, it seems that fights will be more a matter of skill than simply auto targeting and waiting for their health to reach zero.

Either way, I'm excited to see how it turns out.

By whicker at 2010-04-12

If you look at the pictures, you can see one bear fending off Four Hunters. Now this bear may have been in legendary status, but still impressive to think if fights may be that tough.

Bumbin wrote:
    If you look at the pictures, you can see one bear fending off Four Hunters. Now this bear may have been in legendary status, but still impressive to think if fights may be that tough.
    I would imagine that a lot of things will be tougher during the Prelude when you're fighting with stone weapons and wooden spears. However, as time progresses, it seems that killing a bear would possibly get easier with the advent of newer technologies and more efficient hunting methods.

By whicker at 2010-04-12

Visitor

I can see where Uzik is going with this, but I think all fights will vary. Outcomes should depend on the weapons and skill you have with the weapon you use. A heavy two-hand axe, for example, should have you down in at least three hits while a dagger should be maybe ten. There is also alot to account for such as stats on the weapon and on the character. Leiros also mentioned body parts. If all someone had was a weak wooden dagger and his opponent had 120 hp. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? Although I'm tottaly against a fight more then 5-10 minutes, I'm thinking, some fights will take eight minutes while some will take three seconds.

I would say so, I feel that a bow and arrow upgrade would be a nice much more efficient way to kill a bear lol. This game is going to be amazing!