Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crafting UI

Crafting UI

If you have the required tools to craft an item have them automatically added to the tool slots. However still allow the player to switch them around with a different tool of the same type should they so wish as I assume tools will have qualities and durability at a later date and as such a player may have more than one of a tool in his pack but wish to use a specific one.
    I'd like to expand on this suggestion. If you have the required tool, or resource, let it show up in the boxes. If you have multiple options, clicking on the tool or resource should give a drop-down option box with all of the items you could possibly use. I did a little grass weaving today and I found it rather tedious having to drag things across the screen for each craft action.

Re:Crafting UI

Hello MJ Green,

The problem with this is crafting allows you to use different tools and materials to create the same object, so you need to select the combination you want to use.

Well that is why I'm saying have a drop-down from the tool/resource box. Fill it in with the first one it finds, but the user can pick from the other options before hitting the craft button. Having to drag stuff over from the backpack and drag stuff up from the bundle slot is just a lot of activity when my mouse feels like its crawling across the screen. If the UI had the ability for me to pick my items right in it, there wouldn't need to be so much mouse movement from one side of the screen to another. And if it remembered what I picked last time I could make multiple of the same thing without having to drag everything back over time after time.

Xsyon wrote:
    Hello MJ Green,

The problem with this is crafting allows you to use different tools and materials to create the same object, so you need to select the combination you want to use.
    Cool! Experimentation for the win.

Mj, good ideas although probably not a very high priority at the moment.

How about a "save recipe" button? Low priority, of course... greyed out if you don't have the items in your possesion, maybe have a drop down list of recipes you could select, etc.

jessebfox wrote:
    How about a "save recipe" button? Low priority, of course... greyed out if you don't have the items in your possesion, maybe have a drop down list of recipes you could select, etc.
    Or if possible, perhaps just have it remember the last created recipe?

So if you're planning to make several of an item, it's not so tedious so long as you have the materials continuously on you.

*shrug* Just a thought.

Personally I think it is fine at the moment, but I can also definitely see how a system that requires you to drag items around the screen into small boxes would be both tedious and on a long term scale, both un-ergonomic and straight out annoying.

How about being able to simply right click on a tool with the crafting menu up and if that tool can fit in any of the slots it will automatically go there?

How is that better than being able to do the selection right in the crafting screen? You still have to open another window and move your mouse to where ever it pops up.

Well that's the thing, the only difference would be that you would not have to physically move the mouse back and forth across the screen and instead could just click in the tools in you inventory, just a bit more ergonomic is all, plus require minimum work.

I agree with the double clicking as dragging is a biatch -think DF's looting and crafting system. The drop down menu would ruin experimenting as the list will only show the items which can be used = no "I wonder if this will work" type moments.

So to summarize 2x click > menu