Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Article about MMO development philosophy

Here's an interesting article contrasting the development paths of the two types of MMOs, themepark and sandbox:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...el_of_mmo_.php

It seems relevant because I have a feeling that most if not all of the people keeping an eye on Xsyon are interested in systems over content.

Also, it should be encouraging to realize that EVE Online probably started out with roots similar to what we're seeing with Xsyon right now. And look how successful EVE is now.

Hell, it even gives hope to Mortal Online.

Re: Article about MMO development philosophy

Companies such as Xsyon have a unique quality with them. Talking with the player base is one way to ensure dialogue is open between developers and players. The great thing about this is that it allows for interesting outcomes, you start a barter system type of experience. Players want to have two types of currency because "this group of tribes" doesn't like "that group of tribes" and they want to separate and have different dominations. The people that asked, asked for a way to convert the money between their dominations and a way to separate the currency fairly.

Dev's think it over and say, "okay we will do this, and provide a way for you to convert the money, but it wont be as you expect it. We will put it to a vote and whatever wins wins the outcome." Maybe the way you transfer the funds by dev standards is that you talk to a NPC at a set point of the day, and never in winter.

So it comes with great possibilities like this, but can become a burden as well. When you get people or players that form close bonds to the devs, and rules inconvenience those people or players and devs change the rules, this creates problems for the rest of the player base. I don't envision this for this game, as the rules would be more of a tweaking than a full out change unless it was absolutely required.

I think also the great thing about Xsyon (in my view) is that it would seem they will have "stories". That is Chapter Zero: Prelude, Chapter 1: Year Zero, Chapter 2: {withheld}...

These chapters will bring the game one step into the future of the game and with constant updates and bug fixes it will continue to be a complete game that players should enjoy for a long while.
    We have cool new forums... Y~A~Y

kiwibird wrote:
    I think also the great thing about Xsyon (in my view) is that it would seem they will have "stories". That is Chapter Zero: Prelude, Chapter 1: Year Zero, Chapter 2: {withheld}...
    Not to nit-pick here, but I don't want to see this can of worms open again.

Please note that - Year Zero is merely a character (and possibly terrain) data wipe that will happen prior to the RELEASE of Xsyon: Prelude.

Prelude will continue to "be" after Year Zero wipe happens, it's kind of more like a marker of when the game begins.

TL;DR: Year Zero is a wipe of data DURING Prelude, prior to final release.

On topic: I'm half way through reading the article, interesting stuff, and it outlines what I think a lot of us "niche gamers" have known for awhile.

Relandi wrote:
    kiwibird wrote:
    Not to nit-pick here, but I don't want to see this can of worms open again.

Please note that - Year Zero is merely a character (and possibly terrain) data wipe that will happen prior to the RELEASE of Xsyon: Prelude.

Prelude will continue to "be" after Year Zero wipe happens, it's kind of more like a marker of when the game begins.

TL;DR: Year Zero is a wipe of data DURING Prelude, prior to final release.

On topic: I'm half way through reading the article, interesting stuff, and it outlines what I think a lot of us "niche gamers" have known for awhile.
    Actually the game is being divided into chapters like what Kiwi bird suggests, names on the other hand well :silly: That being said each new chapter will bring new content, for instance magic will be in the one after prelude.
    There is the high level design of a gameplay mechanic. Then there is what everyone does in spite of it.

Diocletian wrote:
    Actually the game is being divided into chapters like what Kiwi bird suggests, names on the other hand well :silly: That being said each new chapter will bring new content, for instance magic will be in the one after prelude.
    I swear you follow me around just to post abso--lutely obvious statements.

I know the game is being broken into sections, however, the chronological order that was being presented by a moderator was incorrect, and I was avoiding any confusion.

Again, thanks for chiming in to say what we already knew.. rather tiresome.

Year Zero is not a chapter, it is a wipe.

Prelude is the chapter.

Clear enough? Good.

prokop15 wrote:
    This post is nonsense.

This post is long nonsense.
    And this post is short nonsense.
    pid73 wrote:
    It's about smashing with a tank over a minicar and looting it's trunk.

kiwibird wrote:

Isnít Chapter 1 Prelude and Year Zero the starting point for Chapter 1? Maybe calling now Chapter Zero: Pre Year Zero would be more accurate.

Not really, as I said it is a story short of thing, no book has ever had a "Chapter Zero" and it was used deliberately to indicate that its apart of the story, but the story hasn't started; and in this situation hasn't been written, but isn't at the same time.

In my view Prelude is the forefathers to our new world, that is the green mist is still around and very close by... then we get the wipe and in my view, that time we will see perhaps double the land we have for prelude being open by the 'next generation kids' who in turn will be the chapter one starting point.

Since Prelude is foretasted to last approximately one month, it would seem likely that this is a testing phrase that will allow for the ancient world to have lore, background and details that can be drawn on to build Chapter 4: The return of Thor (EXAMPLE ONLY!).

So for example the game will draw on current world ancient lore and game lore created in prelude for a dynamic twist. The hero may not always win the battle, but can he win the war?
    We have cool new forums... Y~A~Y

kiwibird wrote:
    Since Prelude is foretasted to last approximately one month
    Can you elaborate this please ?

kiwibird wrote:
    In my view Prelude is the forefathers to our new world, that is the green mist is still around and very close by... then we get the wipe and in my view, that time we will see perhaps double the land we have for prelude being open by the 'next generation kids' who in turn will be the chapter one starting point.
    This is completely contradictory to everything I've seen come out of Jooky and Virtus in regards to what Prelude is.

Prelude is what will be going on when the game is released, unless this has changed.

Prelude is NOT only this "early access" time.

EDIT: See why I didn't want this damn can of worms opened again. *sigh*