Thread: Scripting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Scripting

Hey there,
    well I guess you have plenty of stuff to get sorted, but one thing I wanted to ask for some time: Will there be a kind of scripting possible to give created things some action that can be triggered?
    Concret example: A door which opens on click / on nearby characters.
    Doesn't have to be via real 'script' but perhaps via some properties of an object, if you know what I mean.
    Cheers, Snake.

Re:Scripting

really good idea.

For example, like at night the tribe can lock its main gates and stuff like that.

This suggestion reminds me of what is in Second Life. A lot of creativity in that game. Right now the devs have not even hinted that they are even thinking about this.

Yet I too would like to see some sort of simple scripting put in eventually for use on large tribal lands. Lag is always a concern with scripting and custom meshes but then if tribes are given the tools to monitor this it won't be too bad.

Oakstead wrote:
    This suggestion reminds me of what is in Second Life. A lot of creativity in that game. Right now the devs have not even hinted that they are even thinking about this.

Yet I too would like to see some sort of simple scripting put in eventually for use on large tribal lands. Lag is always a concern with scripting and custom meshes but then if tribes are given the tools to monitor this it won't be too bad.
    yes Oakstead, I agree.
    Another game - well more a development tool for games - where this is implemented very good is Unity, and with much better physics than SL. The developers have not even mentioned it, that's true, there are some questions of citizens already pointing in that direction though, like 'will it be possible to lock houses?'

I really dont like the idea of locking houses permanently, so only the user can open.. What if we could have a combination lock of buttons. ([][][][][]). Like every bracket represents a button, on or off. So total of 31 combinations.. Unless u have a key on you, so if someone kills u, they can loot the key and then get into your house. Then its interesting...

yes Joe, I agree
    Hey but sorry, I'm an old assembler-programmer, so I have to tell you:
    5 buttons with two possible positions each make a total count of combinations of 2^5, that's 32

lol so am I. but i was to lazy to count. so i guessed it. I also know a little bit of C++. One question? how hard/easy to implement this in to the game from a programmer's point of view???

Well what if the possible event only could have on and off situation with a timer, the reason a timer so the user wouldnt jam the server.
    like a terraforming, its takes time for the event to happen. So let say if u closing a gate, it will take 15 sec to activate the gate, while 15 seconds takes place the server sends the info to all players in that region. And the lag is eliminated. Just a thought.