Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Logs stacking

Re:Logs stacking

A bug is a bug, I'm not saying this is an urgent bug, obviously not, but this is the forum for bugs. Hense why I reported it..
    I'm a developer so am use to seeing every little thing wrong with an application being reported. Which in my view is the right hign to do, I'd rather know about a bug no matter how small than not.

And yes Joe that's the layout.

Paradox wrote:

Stacking logs is a very real way to create a structure. Just because they are easily destroyed or that something better could come along didn’t stop the pioneers. It doesn’t stop people even today from using them.

Even if we do get prefabricated housing for the tribe area I still think it would be cool to have a log cabin on a mountain side somewhere. I see nothing faux about them.
    My head is spinning. Are you joking around or did you really think I was talking about real life log cabins? Real life has nothing to do with what you can do in a game. Other than serving as inspiration for the designers.

Unless Jordi has plans that he hasn't announced yet a pile of carefully arranged logs will not be able to server the same role as the items planned for housing. The server can't tell the difference between a random pile of logs and one that has been built by you. They're just log objects with position and rotation properties. So don't expect it to provide you with secure storage (here I'm assuming real housing will provide that) or to be immune to people tearing it apart on a whim.

this will be possible due to dev tools being implemented to move ingame models, this is a must for custom stuff. I did send request for this.Simple control window to move the model .

Real life does seem to serve as very significant inspiration for the game so I think real world examples are relevant. Yeah I get what you are saying but we don’t know what the Dev ‘s are planning. I am merely pointing out that I think log buildings are just as fitting as other traditional MMO type buildings in this setting.

Whether or not logs can ever become functioning structures is another topic. I say that if I can get a nice pile of logs and call it a house, well then it’s a house. I would also like to use them in terraforming and for aesthetics around camp.

Ultimately I would be happy with a bit more log stacking options, such as horizontal stacking and being able to form angles. If at some point a pile of logs can be transformed in to a new object, well even better.

Cunk wrote:
    Paradox wrote:

Stacking logs is a very real way to create a structure. Just because they are easily destroyed or that something better could come along didn’t stop the pioneers. It doesn’t stop people even today from using them.

Even if we do get prefabricated housing for the tribe area I still think it would be cool to have a log cabin on a mountain side somewhere. I see nothing faux about them.
    My head is spinning. Are you joking around or did you really think I was talking about real life log cabins? Real life has nothing to do with what you can do in a game. Other than serving as inspiration for the designers.

Unless Jordi has plans that he hasn't announced yet a pile of carefully arranged logs will not be able to server the same role as the items planned for housing. The server can't tell the difference between a random pile of logs and one that has been built by you. They're just log objects with position and rotation properties. So don't expect it to provide you with secure storage (here I'm assuming real housing will provide that) or to be immune to people tearing it apart on a whim.

That stacking does look incorrect and will be added to the bug list. It should be an easy fix (it won't take up my time though, it will be passed along).

I played a MMO at release and did my best to bug everything I possibly could. Though there were major issues to fix, the 'low priority' ones were the ones I saw all the time. When those low priorities persist for months, players/customers lose confidence in the software and lose appreciation for the devs, even if they are working on bigger issues.

That is not a threat, that is just the business. I work for a software company and I know a big issue when I see one and know when something needs to be fixed immediately, but I wouldn't dare tell a customer that a lower priority issue is no big deal because if left unattended they become one.

All I can say about this thread is that Paradox's log cabin pic reminds me of my earliest childhood when I use to play with Lincoln Logs. Anyone else play with those? They were a blast!

Xsyon wrote:
    That stacking does look incorrect and will be added to the bug list. It should be an easy fix (it won't take up my time though, it will be passed along).
    Mwahaha the magic of being the top,

I did send request for this.Simple control window to move the model.
    Which we will have soon for placing buildings and walls. We still will need to look into this stacking though, especially if this is reproducible now.