Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re:LETS WIPE TERRA....

Why are you guys even busting your butts with all this terraforming? You knew it was going to get wiped even before it was suggested in this tread.

umm.. yeah it was about all we did from today morning - about 2000 dirt roll back.. Its not complaining we will be happy if our work help with finding problem.

Cunk wrote:
    Why are you guys even busting your butts with all this terraforming? You knew it was going to get wiped even before it was suggested in this tread.

what better way do you know of to test terraforming?....I'd rather catch unforseen problems here, then have it happen in launch.

Deacon wrote:
    what better way do you know of to test terraforming?....I'd rather catch unforseen problems here, then have it happen in launch.

I would have to agree,Let's get the bugs out now.Even though we paid to be in this part of the game,We still are in effect making this game better for us all by testing things out.

Deacon wrote:
    Cunk wrote:

I agree with you deacon.

Hello everyone!

I thought the other programmers were taking care of some personal business this weekend (wife and children and so on). I guess not. I just got a mess of updated code to merge and check.

This means I'll be up all night checking the changes and finishing changes of my own. If things look good in about 12 hours I'll update them to the main server.

So the question is... who wants a terrain and data wipe?

Here are problems that will be fixed:

There is some bad data caused by some of the developers accidentally spawning invalid objects. I'm not sure what problems this is causing.

There are some problems caused by players messing around with the unfinished container system. The data needs to be wiped at some point soon to fix these.

Frame rate will be better. The more going on in game, the slower the frame rate. We're working on changes that will fix this problem, but they will be patched out over the course of the next week or two. That's part of what I'll be checking tonight.

Terrain holes... I don't know. I don't think we'll get to look at this tonight, but I also don't think wiping the terrain will have an effect.

For development purposes I can wipe with this update or I can wipe after we've implemented more changes. It's not going to have much of an impact either way.

So what do you all think?

For me I think a complete wipe makes sense as we are seeing a few annomilies. These appear to be where bags/packs have been dropped at some point and where then burried when the last accidental terrain wipe occurred.

Added to that, but maybe not related, there appears to be a server>client sync issue where players are not seeing the same terrain and, in some cases, not seeing the same objects even though we are standing in the same locations. Logging out and back in fixes this but clearly something is wrong... it's like we are sometimes playing a different game.

So, I vote for a clean slate please.

Bossman wrote:
    For me I think a complete wipe makes sense as we are seeing a few annomilies. These appear to be where bags/packs have been dropped at some point and where then burried when the last accidental terrain wipe occurred.

Added to that, but maybe not related, there appears to be a server>client sync issue where players are not seeing the same terrain and, in some cases, not seeing the same objects even though we are standing in the same locations. Logging out and back in fixes this but clearly something is wrong... it's like we are sometimes playing a different game.

So, I vote for a clean slate please.

But the question remains....will the wipe actually fix this, or will it all continue? Will a wipe just postpone the issues to tomorrow when stuff starts happening again, as it is now?

If a clean wipe will fix it..then wipe everything..including toons. If there are issues that are being borked by players...turn those off (like containers) until they're ready for testing and not likely to interfere with the server.

We all know a wipe will come...but to constantly do it in hopes it might fix lag or something without definitive connections, seems counter productive. How are top end and features to truly be tested, if no one can get there.

EDIT: just like Virtus thought we only lost 10 mins of terrain data, when actually it reset to when the devs saved terrain just prior to restarting server early sun morn. So something happened to autosave on terrain...which would not be known or suspect, if no one did any further building, and just left it as it was.

Hello Deacon,

The wipe will fix only a few issues for sure: bad data caused by improper spawns and messing around with the unfinished containers.

The terrain autosave was turned off for now which is why the terrain reverted to my previous backup. Virtus just wasn't aware of this.

One thing I plan to add tonight is a few new spawn locations. Do you have any preferred spots? I know many of you were building in zone 231 or somewhere around there. Starting spawn points will eventually be based near existing tribe totems in addition to a few set locations.

If any of you can post some desired spawn locations, I'll put them in for the next update.

Thanks!

Anywhere but 231 :woohoo: