Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Territory Control: Seige or Economic Stangulation?

This game sounds awesome but the great unsolved game feature in these sort of games involves zerging for territory control. So will post-prelude territory control be siege based (towns can only be sieged at certain times) or economic strangulation based? The siege strategy is the common one yet economic strangulation might solve a lot of problems.

The mention of the impenetrable mist at the edge of the settled lands got me thinking that this would be a good idea for protecting tribal territories by nerfing all enemy characters who would also be the only ones to see the mist. This mist would have to be maintained by economic activity making crafters as important as PvPers in tribal defense. This mist would be strongest at the town center.

The mist would be generated from all tribal buildings so an enemy force would have to destroy various out-buildings first in order to weaken the mist and then work its way towards attacking the town center. With the mist having a slow decay rate a tribe will not wake up one morning to find its city gone unless the territory had been attenuated over weeks of attacks. This would also tend to disperse attacks making them more raid-like instead of one big laggy zerg fest.

Leader of Ancient Embers at ancientembers.net

Re:Territory Control: Seige or Economic Stangulation?

I think you misunderstood the mist.
    The mist is basically instead of having mountains around existing areas so players can't un off in that direction.
    The mist will roll back as new places are revealed.
    Brum, brum.

Re: Territory Control: Seige or Economic Stangulation?

Interesting ideas. I like the anti zerg option blended in with crafters playing an important roll. Sounds like a fairly big change though with the game just around the corner. Nice idea though indeed!

You can already build walls and weapons for the warriors of the tribe to use. Crafter are already vital and needed for a tribe to be good.

Oakstead wrote:
    This game sounds awesome but the great unsolved game feature in these sort of games involves zerging for territory control. So will post-prelude territory control be siege based (towns can only be sieged at certain times) or economic strangulation based? The siege strategy is the common one yet economic strangulation might solve a lot of problems.

Dont expect to many details about this to come out yet, its put until after prelude for a reason. Its because they want to see how it will play out in what needs to be done for these events.
    MrDDT

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    -Sun-tzu

Cradlejoe wrote:
    I think you misunderstood the mist.
    The mist is basically instead of having mountains around existing areas so players can't un off in that direction.
    The mist will roll back as new places are revealed.
    Yes, I know how mist is implemented now in the game but it can be adapted to other things. This is just an example of how one idea can lead to another.

The more I think about this idea for general territory control the better I like it. Unless Xsyon wants to only be a niche PvP game it will need to provide areas for the more peaceful players to socialize and craft without having to be on-guard all the time. At least this sense of security will draw them in and in time I am sure they will partake of the PvP opportunities. Two people at MMORPG.com as soon as they found out of the PvP backed off in their interest for this game.

Redus wrote:
    You can already build walls and weapons for the warriors of the tribe to use. Crafter are already vital and needed for a tribe to be good.
    Yes, but building walls are a one time thing. Mist for territory control will need to be continually fueled. This will be a good measure of tribe strength and morale.

In addition walls do not cover much territory and will lead to zerg siege mechanics.

I don't like artificial anti-zerg protection.

This game doesn’t need more safe zones then the ones they’re already implementing. If you want protection join a group of players that can offer you that protection.

Palo god wrote:
    This game doesn’t need more safe zones then the ones they’re already implementing. If you want protection join a group of players that can offer you that protection.
    I agree 100%. And this is how it would be if our world became a post-apocalyptic one. I want that sense of waryness whenever I leave my town that danger is awaiting me and to really be immersed in this world and the mindset it has to offer.