Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Languages?

Languages?

Will all characters speak the same basic language? or will there be languages that we have to "learn" in order to understand each other?

I know in the original SWG you had to learn how to speak the alien languages or you couldn't understand what other players were saying. This was a cool aspect of the game that I've not seen in other mmo's since then.

I'm just curious as to whether there will be any kind of language barriers in this game.

Thanks!

By whicker at 2010-04-12

Re: Languages?

From what i'm aware it's the normal language, English.

However,
    Tribe leaders can consult in adding new languages to there tribe (Obviously not official but can be of use to there tribe).

----
    Darkrounge

Xsyon Citizen

It's just the one basic language,for the moment. Although i think once new areas open up something like this may be implemented to simulate a language barrier between people from diffrent regions.

They've said that there's a possibility of them adding foreign servers in other countries.
    So they'd be no need in implanting a new language.

Besides, it'd be ages until we see that.

Re:Languages?

Leiros wrote:
    Will all characters speak the same basic language? or will there be languages that we have to "learn" in order to understand each other?

I know in the original SWG you had to learn how to speak the alien languages or you couldn't understand what other players were saying. This was a cool aspect of the game that I've not seen in other mmo's since then.

I'm just curious as to whether there will be any kind of language barriers in this game.

Thanks!
    This sounds like a cool feature. Make it so we need translators to get around certain parts of the world or learn the languages ourselves.

This should be added in much later though. I just want the already promised features.

Since the game world starts as a 120km area, I wouldn't expect there to be more than one primary language.

Yea we are only talking 74.5 miles. That's not much area.

John Wooden ~ Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character.
    Benjamin Spock ~ Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.

aliksteel wrote:
    They’re going to add more areas and more parts of the world as the community grows.

Palo god wrote:
    aliksteel wrote:
    They’re going to add more areas and more parts of the world as the community grows.
    I think he was just referring to how the starting area will be so small, that different languages aren't required at the moment.

@Lookis I was.

I know it will grow, But even if we are talking x10 the area, it's still a little small.

But then, I have no idea how fast travel will be. If it takes a lot long than it sound to get around. Maybe you could add it, And it will still seem like you have traveled a long ways to get to the new strange lands where the people speak funny.

John Wooden ~ Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character.
    Benjamin Spock ~ Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.