Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Questions about some game features

After reading the game features I need some clarifications on the following:

Resources:
    "Resources can be claimed by tribes."
    Q: How are resources claimed exactly? Which kind of resources are claimable? Are there mines or something like that? (for instance animals and trees provide resources but I doubt we can claim those...)

Q: How is digging and chopping done? Can we chop any tree and mine any rock we see (like Darkfall) or are there specific "nodes" in the environment (like most mmorpgs)?

Environment:
    "Realistic moon cycle and moonlight."
    Q: I hope by realistic you are not refering to a 24h cycle like in real life. This is a game, probably only 1 server, people are on diferent timezones and I doubt some would enjoy night or day everytime they log on (people usualy play on the same schedulle...)

Character:
    "Levels gained will give additional points for the character to boost skills and statistics. These are in addition to normal action based skill and statistic gains and reflect what a character would be doing when not actively being played."
    Q: Why levels if character development is skill based? Imo that is the biggest flaw of Fallen Earth, so why do you pick that? Just for "ding" sake or is there any other reason?

Communication:
    "- General chat based on hearing range.
    - Whisper directed to specific players within range."
    Q: You do realize that a sandbox mmorpg is fully dependent of its community. How do you expect us to know eachother if we have 120km2 of land and limited chat range? How will general noob help be processed ingame? How will ingame LF Group and LF Tribe be done? Many people dont like internet forums, are you willing to scratch them all from this game? Many people play mmorpg (especialy sandboxes) for socializing and limited range for chating handicaps those people, are you willing to lose those players to?

Combat:
    "Body part targeting for critical attacks."
    Q: I know Xsyon has twitch like combat. This kind of combat associated with the hundreds of RPG combat variables usually demand alot in terms of client-server transfers. Add body hitboxes to this equation and it usually means "lagfest".
    As far as I know Xsyon is about to release in 1 month and no massive beta testing as been performed, how sure are you that the server can manage this and Xsyon won't turn into an unplayable "lagfest" ?

Quests:
    "Quests are assigned from one player to another using the quest system. Tribal chiefs and leaders will have the ability to assign specific quests. Quests are posted at town totems so that players can obtain and complete quests without requiring the quest giver to be online."
    Q: Very interesting quest system, although I fear this can be easily exploitable. What kind of rewards do we receive for completing those quests? If those rewards are given by the system what prevents the players from creating thousands of intantly completable quests? If rewards are "payed" by the player creating the quest what is the deference of that from the advertisement trade boards?

Evolution:
    "Religion"
    Q: I read on the forums that with religion comes Permanent Death chances. Any chance for details on that? Permanent Death is something very few players look for in a mmorpg, so I think this can't be a feature "to be revealed later on"...

And for final question:
    Xsyon's feature list is impressive to say the least.
    From what I understood the project started in 2007 and at the moment you are a team of 19 including support staff.
    How can you assure us that this game is in a playable condition with all listed features included and can handle thousands of players like it is supposed to on a mmorpg?
    Are you planing any open beta testing before release?
    Are you planing any trials?
    I hope you understand my concerns, but for the expectations this feature list is raising I think a few screenshots are not enough evidence to keep confidence on par.

Re:Questions about some game features

So that you know your not being ignored I will post just to say that the only person that can currently answer these is neck deep in c++.

I can answer about quests though. Quest rewards come from the person placing the request.

Perma death is something i look forward about it

Thank for the prompt reply Virtus
    I'll check back tomorrow, I didn't even knew about Xsyon until today so I'm not in any rush.

warzenkai wrote:
    Perma death is something i look forward about it
    Then you qualify under the "something very few players look for in a mmorpg" category I listed above.
    I hope at least you realize that very few share your enthusiam for Perma Death, and we are talking about a sandbox MMO so you need decent population to enjoy the game.

Bump.
    2 days passed.
    Still waiting for the promised answers.

Virtus wrote:
    So that you know your not being ignored I will post just to say that the only person that can currently answer these is neck deep in c++.

I can answer about quests though. Quest rewards come from the person placing the request.
    So in the beginning of the game, are there any quests to introduce the player? Or are they just thrown into the sandbox?

Unsure. The fact that there will not be any buildings at all makes me believe no.

Virtus wrote:
    Unsure. The fact that there will not be any buildings at all makes me believe no.
    I find that truly epic. It's going to give the true sandbox feel to the game.
    Though i do feel sorry for some players that might quit right away due to frustration.

I love the idea of starting on a blank slate

Then months later I can say to noobs "I remember when all this was just fields"
    Brum, brum.

Xsyon Citizen

Thats very nice. That are sentences i already use in RL for my daughter. :laugh:

When in darkness or in doubt,
    run in circles, scream and shout.