Game Back-End Database

I was wondering if the game's develoment has reached a point where its persistence technology has been chosen? Many fine games have been constrained by the use of traditional hashed tables and/or SQL databases because of their lack of flexibility and transaction processing speed.

Has Xsyon considered the use of a multi-dimensional (object-oriented) database such as Cache or GT/M?

Re:Game Back-End Database

I remember you asking this in IRC and saying that Xsyon stole all of your ideas from the FallenEarth forums...

Other than that, who cares? Are you building your own MMO?

inferno3387 wrote:
    I remember you asking this in IRC and saying that Xsyon stole all of your ideas from the FallenEarth forums...

Other than that, who cares? Are you building your own MMO?
    Stole my ideas...no. Just that this game has addressed MANY of the concepts that the FE devs either cannot (due to limitations in their engine) or will not, due to a different vision.

Actually, I was shocked at how many of the ideas in this game (that clearly predate my postings) mirror my own as well as the those of other posters on the FE board.

There a big difference between saying someone "stole" your ideas and saying that they are remarkable agreement with you.

I have built an MMO (a web-based text mud) as a technological project. (A text based MUD has no commercial value in today's market).

The reason I am interested in the back end is that I find that most MMO visionaires seem to have very strong skills in the design and art of gaming but limit the potential of their engine by having a poor understanding of data persistence and high speed transaction processing.

The rich object/item model that a multi-dimensional database would enable the designers to build a system that is not constrained by the limitations of SQL-based systems.

Note that I was the person who brought this game to the attention of the FE community. I think it has a lot of promise.

jbertoglio wrote:
    The reason I am interested in the back end is that I find that most MMO visionaires seem to have very strong skills in the design and art of gaming but limit the potential of their engine by having a poor understanding of data persistence and high speed transaction processing.
    Yeah I know where you are coming from with this I had classes on virtual worlds and the technology involved to run them (from WoW to Second Life).

And I think many forget how important a strong and especially scalable backend is.

Due to possible security risks I think this question will go unanswered.

JBertolgio, we really don't want to discuss our server technology in public, but your comments are definitely appreciated.

Also, I did try to respond to your question in private (same answer) but the email you have associated with your forum account here bounces.

I'm glad you like the game ideas. Most of the concepts were thought out about 12-13 years ago.