Xsyon Game Testing (As the game is now 05 AUG 2010

I have been told that this is more like a fanboy post, So I will do another post later on and add the cons, as well as pros.
    This is from my Blog page, Not linking it because I do not wish this to be seen as me advertising my site. But wanted the Xsyon community to see it.

WARNING: This game is not going to be for the person that wants to come home from work and plays for 30 minutes to an hour, Two to three times a week. This game will be very social, And I donít see many tribes(Guild) keeping dead weight for long.

Some people call it Beta, otherís call it Testing. What ever you wish to call it, Itís not like any Beta Testing I have even been apart of before. Unlike most games, Jooky(Lead Dev/Game Owner) is not adding a ton of content in with every game update. He is adding things in slow and a few things at a time. This seems to be working great, In the way that when the Oh Crap happens. The dev team are not having to go over a month amount of content to see what went wrong. Adding on two or three things at a time helps them find, Then fix what ever the oh crap that happened fast. The game is set(at the time I write this) to go live on 15th of Aug in 2010. I am thinking, It will be at lest two more months before it goes live. I hope I am wrong and it come out this month, But Ö

OK so what going on, A lot really, There is a ton more crafting now. there is six crafting skills to pick from

Basketry

Bone crafting

Leather crafting

Tailoring

Tool crafting

Weapon crafting

But you also get to pick two starter skills like

Scavenging

Logging

Terra-forming

Hiding

Fishing

Foraging

Firebuilding (Not sure if this will be something we all will have or have to pick at the start)

Note: All skills and crafts will be able to be learned in-game later on even if you did not pick them at the start.

Note: All skills will decay if not used.

and not sure where this will be a Craft, Skill, or even Action for Cooking. Just donít remember where I saw it at. All skills/craft go up to and over 100 points. You are a master at 100 points, But there will be a decay system in-game when it goes live. So if you donít use it, You lose it. I remember reading a few months ago about how your level(yes, I said level) will stop it at some point. Level is not in-game yet and have not read any thing on it, Other than that it will stop you from forgetting every thing and have to start over again. But every skill and/or craft leans on stats that you pick at the start of making your toon.

When picking your stats you start(at lest for now) with a base stat of 50 for every thing. You can move the stats down to 10 or add to them all the way up to 90.

Strength

Fortitude

Agility

Dexterity

Intelligence

Perception

Charm

Spirit

You get 100 points to add to any stat you wish. This game you the player will have to find what works best with what. You will not see any stats on Weapons, Armor, Tools, Food, are what ever you find in-game. I have found a few things to eat that with one bite I am back up to where I need to be, And about eating and food and things. You toon can and will become skinny or fat in the game. And this will affect how you work. Get fat, and you move real slow, Skinny, Well that log you wanted to move, Ant going to happen now. So keeping feed but not over doing it is something to watch for. Also if you go without eating, Your energy will build back up very slow and you will burn it away a lot faster. So eat well. Drink at this time is simple. Just run to the water and drink from it. As far as I can tell, Over drinking does not hurt you at this point.

You can make your toon tall or short, Thin or fat.

min/max Height

200cm

140cm

min/max Weight (Depending on height)

128kg

31kg

When you create a new character you get to set his/her birth date and age from 16 to 30. It not in-game right now but there will be aging when the game goes live. This will be very slow aging and it has been said that you will be able to live up to if not over 90 years old.

OK went off track there, Letís get back to crafting for a second. I am all most sure that intelligence has a lot to do with what your toon will come up with to make. Hmm I lost you, OK say you start off with basketry as your craft. You will start off with a random recipe set. Something very low that you can do. This craft needs grass, But unlike Bone crafting where you have to kill stuff, You donít gain skill points from picking grass. As you start to craft you will start to gain points in basketry, At some point you will learn a new recipes. This is not given to you. This is your toon saying, OH, OK so if I take this and that, I can make this. If you pump a lot of stat points into intelligence, This will give your toon more things to come up with on his own. I have just started testing this, But it seems if you put a lot into perception, It will help you learn more, And at a faster rate. But this is not the only way to learn. Later on they will add into the game a way for player to teach their skill to others. Also in the game right now. You can, or A friend, Are who ever. Can scavenge new recipes for you. As there is no money in-game at this time, Itís this type of stuff that will be paid out like gold. Remember your great grand pappy talking about the good old days and the bartering system that went on back then. I need that so I will give you this and that for it, Deal or no deal, Is the way of the land today.

The first bitís of social is in-game now with the last update. At this time you can add people to the friends or foes list. Not sure what is going to happen with the foes list. But right now with the friends list working. We can share stuff now. As long as you are all ready friends and you have your binís set to friends. Any friend can open and take what ever they wish, And from what I just read from a tribe mate. They can also take the storage bin as well. It was just added to the game and still needs work, But so far, Itís a good add. From them adding the social into the game we can see whats to come. Right now we have friends and foes on, But you can also see tribes, whats the name they give guilds. And we also see pets. The pets will be sweet, If itís an animal in the world and your skill is great enough, You can tame it. After tame things get gray, I know they said that you can tame and ride any animal in-game, But not sure how it will work. But still cool to think about.

Random thoughts before I go,

There is Hiding, Jumping, Running, Swimming skills that you have to build up, And unlike most games they just donít make you faster. In some cases they look different. Also there will be later on after they add Tribes a Construction skill set.

I am sure I skipped over 90% of what is in the game, But thatís off the top of my head. There is still a ton of stuff to be added and I am still ecstatic over what is and what will be.

More to come

Alik Steel

John Wooden ~ Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character.
    Benjamin Spock ~ Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.

Re:Xsyon Game Testing (As the game is now 05 AUG 2010

Nice write up

I don't really see why it's fanboyish. It seems an accurate write up and shows your enthusiasm for the game.

thx, great post, just what i was looking for!

i haven't been following xsyon much lately, and most info seems to be in the forum for subscribers these days...

Keep posting on new developments, the rest of us want some news too!

f.e. what kind of enemies are there? weapons? food? is keeping yourself alive easy or hard? can you starve, too? What effects does the enviroment have, like day/night, rain, snow?

Current enemies are as always other players, in terms of animals: Bear, Coyote, Deer and Raccoon.

Weapons are vast and varied, but is by no means the fill list. Food is currently limited to fish and forged items. Staying alive is super easy at the moment as I believe there is no death other than health loss. You can starve, low food means low energy gain and will result in loss in weight if not checked. It can be morning, afternoon or night, it rains and snows, there is summer, winter, spring and autumn, with the terrain and trees changing with the season.

I believe animals are still only spawning by the use of players and not by normal ability (mating).
    We have cool new forums... Y~A~Y

aliksteel wrote:
    WARNING: This game is not going to be for the person that wants to come home from work and plays for 30 minutes to an hour, Two to three times a week. This game will be very social, And I donít see many tribes(Guild) keeping dead weight for long.
    I'd be careful with that kind of statement. A lot people I know (including myself) who are wonderfully social people in real life and the games, lets call the "cluster people" - the ones who make people feel welcome, answer questions, go a long way to help out as they don't look for rising in ranks or such ... usually have a strong private life and can't and won't sacrifice a lot of this for a game. And that means the weekly playtimes you mentioned.
    If you consider these "dead weight" I know you and me are not going to click for example.

Jenadi wrote:
    aliksteel wrote:
    I'd be careful with that kind of statement. A lot people I know (including myself) who are wonderfully social people in real life and the games, lets call the "cluster people" - the ones who make people feel welcome, answer questions, go a long way to help out as they don't look for rising in ranks or such ... usually have a strong private life and can't and won't sacrifice a lot of this for a game. And that means the weekly playtimes you mentioned.
    If you consider these "dead weight" I know you and me are not going to click for example.
    You completely misunderstood him to the point that I know you and me are not going to click at all.

Anyway great post Aliksteel. Please do post your blog address.

Saorlan wrote:
    Jenadi wrote:
    aliksteel wrote:
    You completely misunderstood him to the point that I know you and me are not going to click at all.

Anyway great post Aliksteel. Please do post your blog address.
    Enlighten me.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong for people to feel this way, I'm just putting it out there. I know a lot of gamers that jump from MMOG to MMOG and are in a guild for each game. And that is who the warning was mostly for, But as I added this to the Xsyon forums too, it does cover this to.

If Jordi add's to the solo part of the game it means nothing, But if he keeps it the way he made it seem at the start. Where every one would have to have help from other's, Then the warning stands. I am sure there will be some tribes, More than likely Hopi Tribe may be one, that will have tribe members that can't play long hours. But IMO most of the tribes will not keep gamers that can only play a few hours a week. There will be a great deal of work in the making of your tribal camps, Then the up keep of it will take a few hours a week(IMO). I can see people feeling used at doing all the work and other's that log in and do way less than them, And still reap the same rewards.

Basically I am saying the same way guilds work in WOW will not work in Xsyon. People will have to do stuff for the guild to grow.

John Wooden ~ Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character.
    Benjamin Spock ~ Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.