Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Release cycle for new chapters?

how long will it take to develop a new chapter? Any estimate when the first expansion will be ready for release?

Re:Release cycle for new chapters?

In another post Xsyon stated that the Prelude should at least last through the summer. Beyond this, I don't know.

By whicker at 2010-04-12

VowOfSilence wrote:
    how long will it take to develop a new chapter? Any estimate when the first expansion will be ready for release?
    I believe the evolving will go rather natural. Well at least I hope. Not when suddenly the server is patched and "We are now in the age of farming" and magicly everyone knowns how to farm.

Xsyon Citizen

Be patient. The game has not even started yet.
    Time will tell when the gameplay is ready for expansion. It surely depends on the community how fast the development in the game is.
    For expansions into new areas the tribes will need a certain stage of "evolution".

When in darkness or in doubt,
    run in circles, scream and shout.

Redus wrote:
    "We are now in the age of farming" and magicly everyone knowns how to farm.
    Someone sounds dissatisfied with their Age of Empires experience! :P

This is a good topic. Expansion material is said to be free for existing players, which is pretty awesome. Honestly though, I wouldn’t be opposed to paying for them as long as it helps development.

The rate at which they come out is pretty subjective at this point. I know it was said there is planned almost a ten fold expansion of land. That can be a very good thing, or perhaps not so great. If the game world is large enough, more space would only make it feel empty and stretch the player economy, disperse community over too large and area, ect.

Often new content can be fun if it is anticipated, but sometimes a huge bulk of content is game changing, especially in regards to anything that raises a level or skill cap.

What I do not like is expansions that invalidate what I have done. Worked really hard for an armor set? In this expansion everyone gets it free and you have to work on something else... That type of stuff (looking at you WoW :angry: )! Often times I find the best expansions focus on areas that are already released and improving or changing them, or adding in things that were not there before. For example, new quests in your favorite zone, or a new system to harvest different objects.

The big thing about expansions that fails are, 1. Emphasis on "end game". The concept itself has ended the reign of the MMO golden years. It is tried and true, if you focus only on new high end content and let the rest of the game suffer, you do nothing but drive away the games life line: new players. 2. Not putting attention to already released content. For example, Everquest 2 is a wasteland. It has more content than some entire games that sits empty and is neglected from anything new or any reason to ever even see it. Expansions like Kunark make leveling in any other area subpar. In fact, content was CUT from lower end and leveling speed increased to get players to "end game". It is a death sentence for a game.

From what I know of Xyson, it seems like we will be seeing expansions in land, and an influx of new recipes that will slowly evolve the equipment level and nature of the game, which I think is exactly what an expansion should be!

This will progress more as content patches, and not expansions. I see the evolution of the game taking alot of very very small steps forward and maybe once every 6 months or so the myst will backup and reveal a chunk of new land filled with new things.

What I hope is that the as the myst recedes, its not a to a new hub that leaves the original zone empty. Get a new hub sure, but be sure that original areas remain useful. Something like a capital city.

Dhalrun wrote:
    [quote]Redus wrote:
    The rate at which they come out is pretty subjective at this point. I know it was said there is planned almost a ten fold expansion of land. That can be a very good thing, or perhaps not so great. If the game world is large enough, more space would only make it feel empty and stretch the player economy, disperse community over too large and area, ect.
    Land expansion is far different then game expansions (chapters) Lands will only expand when needed, the full map will not be opened up if it is not needed. Instead the fog will roll back to allow for the larger community size. (there is more info about this in another thread.)

Often new content can be fun if it is anticipated, but sometimes a huge bulk of content is game changing, especially in regards to anything that raises a level or skill cap.

What I do not like is expansions that invalidate what I have done. Worked really hard for an armor set? In this expansion everyone gets it free and you have to work on something else... That type of stuff (looking at you WoW :angry: )! Often times I find the best expansions focus on areas that are already released and improving or changing them, or adding in things that were not there before. For example, new quests in your favorite zone, or a new system to harvest different objects.
    I think the only things to change will be types of materials available, skills available, and more depth to the story line

The big thing about expansions that fails are, 1. Emphasis on "end game". The concept itself has ended the reign of the MMO golden years. It is tried and true, if you focus only on new high end content and let the rest of the game suffer, you do nothing but drive away the games life line: new players. 2. Not putting attention to already released content. For example, Everquest 2 is a wasteland. It has more content than some entire games that sits empty and is neglected from anything new or any reason to ever even see it. Expansions like Kunark make leveling in any other area subpar. In fact, content was CUT from lower end and leveling speed increased to get players to "end game". It is a death sentence for a game.
    Expansion will mainly be in the story line and may give a clue of what is to be expected.

Would the story line be player related?
    So let's say a tribe defeated another tribe and resulted in tribe domination. Would that effect the chapters?

darkrounge wrote:
    Would the story line be player related?
    So let's say a tribe defeated another tribe and resulted in tribe domination. Would that effect the chapters?
    of this I do not know.

Ah alright, it'd be good if it'd be implemented like this.