Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rampart Combat looting? Issue or Not?

There was a post from Xsyon a while ago that stated that a players loot would only stay around for a short time after they died, friends can try to quickly grab items for the dead comrades and enemies can take the spoils of their fight. However anything that isn't looted withing this time will be returned to the player when they respawn.

Now, assuming the player doesnt take 10+ minutes to respawn (which they may, but i doubt it), I think this system will result in combat looting becoming a huge issue.

Combat looting is the general term when a player stops fighting, forgets their friends who may still be in combat and loots the dead.

This is a large issue in many full loot games however it is generally not problematic as clans/guilds have rules against looting during combat and most people will wait until the fight is over before taking the loot off the dead.

My worry is that in a system where it is not possible for the player to wait until after the fight to loot, (as the loot will already be gone), it could result in combat looting being necessary if one wants to get loot from their kills and could possibly render proper fight tactics, team work etc moot.

What does everyone else think, and would it be possible to get a word on this from the devs?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Re:Rampart Combat looting? Issue or Not?

I think the fact that you'll only be able to carry so much will greatly deter this.

Plus, if you take time to loot while fighting is occuring around you, there is a chance that you too will die and lose your own items.

By whicker at 2010-04-12

No, you misunderstand my intent.

My worry is that people will HAVE to do this, because if they don't the loot will be gone before they get a chance to finish the fight properly and loot.

Im just wondering if the players loot disappearing will make it so people have no choice but to loot bodies in the middle of combat.

I see. I guess it all depends on the amount of time the dead person's corpse is there before it disappears. I know of some mmo's where the corpse would remain long after the person respawned. If this is the case, it shouldn't be a problem.

However, I totally see where you're coming from. Good question.

By whicker at 2010-04-12

People should have to run back to get their loot(if its still there).

Palo god wrote:
    People should have to run back to get their loot(if its still there).
    Well, see thats how Darkfall worked and it was ok I suppose. I really do like the idea of not having to do that, and just having what people didnt take, still on your body. However the only way this can happen is if, after you respawn your loot bag disappears, which is ofcourse the main issue being addressed in this thread.

So i just dont know, I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it works...

First I would say kill the looter by winning the whole battle and having fast cavalry type characters to run down any enemy players escaping from the battle.

In the end this boils down to the purpose of the fight as decided by the tribal commanders. Defining the best set of objectives to take down your enemy is part of the game.

Leader of Ancient Embers at ancientembers.net

edaw22 wrote:
    There was a post from Xsyon a while ago that stated that a players loot would only stay around for a short time after they died, friends can try to quickly grab items for the dead comrades and enemies can take the spoils of their fight. However anything that isn't looted withing this time will be returned to the player when they respawn.

Now, assuming the player doesnt take 10+ minutes to respawn (which they may, but i doubt it), I think this system will result in combat looting becoming a huge issue.

Combat looting is the general term when a player stops fighting, forgets their friends who may still be in combat and loots the dead.

This is a large issue in many full loot games however it is generally not problematic as clans/guilds have rules against looting during combat and most people will wait until the fight is over before taking the loot off the dead.

My worry is that in a system where it is not possible for the player to wait until after the fight to loot, (as the loot will already be gone), it could result in combat looting being necessary if one wants to get loot from their kills and could possibly render proper fight tactics, team work etc moot.

What does everyone else think, and would it be possible to get a word on this from the devs?
    So the first character dies and the corpse despawns before you can loot it. But the corpse of the last character who dies will still be there.

Also we don't know how long it takes for a character who dies to respawn - they may have afterlife game play like Mortal Online has.

Where is the problem with having Darkfall style looting?

People in DFO weight was a factor but not a huge one, it wasnt balanced correctly at all.

You could loot in 10+ sets of armor and still not be overweight at all. About the only thing putting you overweight in DFO was regs and mounts.

Anyways I see no reason NOT to have combat looting. Plus dont forget MOST fights are not going to be to the death. You will knock people out, take your 1 item (of your choosing) then leave the battle field, or tell them to leave.

I think the looting system worked well for DFO, and it should work better here.

Armor and weapons are going to take up more space, so you will have to choose what you use and carry much better.
    MrDDT

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    -Sun-tzu