Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Re:Some ideas for combat

VeryWiiTee wrote:
    honestly. He is right Keith. You ought to use you thumb..

Lefthand:
    Little finger: shift/control
    thumb: alt
    Middle finger: W/S
    Ring finger: A
    Index finger: D

You can now move in any direction while using the beauty of 7 keys with little to no movement.

I don't find the buttons hard to hit, I find the fact being able to succesfully parry/dodge in time hard especially as I don't know if NPC's attack from left or right and it's not always easy to see their attack.

If they reduced it to a left click mouse and created the right click into a hold attack, ability, spell etc. that'll ease up combat a lot while still providing some extra.

Never tried M&B so can't say.

I suggest we sum up what sort of system we would like to see implemented and make a new thread with the suggestions.
    Like I said, I'm entitled to my opinion- you guys seem to be taking it personal just because I think it's clunky in its current form.

I'm trying to get over it and move on, but you guys keep bringing it back up.

M&B style combat FTW!

Hmmm,
    Tweaks and suggestions list updated but no mention of anything from this thread? I thought the list that I compiled was pretty clear and concise...

Derek wrote:
    Here is a summary of suggestions I think would improve the melee system:

1.-Press and hold attack key should hold the melee swing back and attack only on release. Similarly, press and hold block/parry key to hold that ability until release.

2.-Change stamina bar to drain and replenish at a much faster rate. Have sprinting, melee swings, and blocking draw from this bar. This bar could be repositioned in combat mode to show up to the side of the character vertically and somewhat translucent for easier tracking.

3.-Change hit detection to weapon swing arc (in-game confirmed by Jooky)

4.-Add side, and back dash animations that use the same key as sprinting available in combat mode.

5.-Use mouse gesture before pressing attack key to indicate direction of melee swing (similar to Mount & Blade)
    (i.e., Quick movement up and then press attack key = overhead attack.)

6.-Change blocking and parrying to use mouse gesture system mentioned above. As a side note, what is the difference between blocking and parrying? Amount of damage deflected?

7.-Tweak animations to better create illusion of momentum. (i.e., heavier weapons = slower swings and makes character step into swing due to momentum of weapon)

8.-Have heavier blunt melee weapons knock down opponents on overhead swings. (ie, Two-handed bludgeoning weapon will knock your ass silly on the ground for a second when overhead attack succesfully lands.)

9.-Some type of reward for quick successive unblocked/parrying melee hits (ie, special attack animation with increased dmg, stamina drain, very short debuff/stun on opponent).

Derek wrote:
    1.-Press and hold attack key should hold the melee swing back and attack only on release.[strike]Similarly, press and hold block/parry key to hold that ability until release.[/strike]

2.-Change stamina bar to drain and replenish at a much faster rate. Have sprinting, melee swings, and blocking draw from this bar. This bar could be repositioned in combat mode to show up to the side of the character vertically and somewhat translucent for easier tracking.

7.-Tweak animations to better create illusion of momentum. (i.e., heavier weapons = slower swings and makes character step into swing due to momentum of weapon)

8.-Have heavier blunt melee weapons knock down opponents on overhead swings. (ie, Two-handed bludgeoning weapon will knock your ass silly on the ground for a second when overhead attack succesfully lands.)

9.-Some type of reward for quick successive unblocked/parrying melee hits (ie, special attack animation with increased dmg, stamina drain, very short debuff/stun on opponent).
    These are the only suggestion I like. Maybe even have a finisher move, those are extremely fun. Finishing moves could be different types of amputations. The type of limb you pick could be then used as a trophy. Come on, we are after all in tribes..

Derek wrote:
    Hmmm,
    Tweaks and suggestions list updated but no mention of anything from this thread? I thought the list that I compiled was pretty clear and concise...

Derek wrote:

1.-Press and hold attack key should hold the melee swing back and attack only on release. Similarly, press and hold block/parry key to hold that ability until release.

4.-Add side, and back dash animations that use the same key as sprinting available in combat mode.

5.-Use mouse gesture before pressing attack key to indicate direction of melee swing (similar to Mount & Blade)

6.-Change blocking and parrying to use mouse gesture system mentioned above. As a side note, what is the difference between blocking and parrying? Amount of damage deflected?

I like all of these.

Derek wrote:
    Hmmm,

Derek wrote:

I like all of these except the vertical stam bar next to the char.

As for #6., Its not blocking and parrying, its blocking and dodging that you have manual control over in game. So no doubt you would get the obvious difference between blocking and dodging?

Kinslayer wrote:
    As for #6., Its not blocking and parrying, its blocking and dodging that you have manual control over in game. So no doubt you would get the obvious difference between blocking and dodging?
    I guess this is a trivial point, but the game manual calls it dodging and parrying. So, according to the manual no form of blocking is in game.

The animations do look more like parrying and dodging. That being said, I wonder if blocking will be added later? Maybe an animation will be added for blocking like holding your arms in front of your face when no shield is equipped (if shields will even be in-game).

Honestly I'm starting to feel like the mods are purposely trying to let this thread die without including it in the main list of tweaks and suggestions. There are many ideas in this thread that people have come to an agreement on. But, under the main compiled tweaks and suggestions thread under combat it says "none"!!!

WTF? Are the crafting, construction, terraforming, interface suggestions more important than the combat suggestions?

I'm starting to believe the people that say this game has been hijacked by players that don't give two shits about pvp or combat mechanics. I might be overreacting a bit but it has been over a month that this thread has been hanging around and much newer suggestions have been added to the main list.

Where's the love?