Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re:We've talked about trade routes... what if

I like the idea of resource totems, but they need to be attackable and/or sieged.

tredo wrote:
    If your tribe discovers a Copper deposit, and another discovers a Tin deposit, and you need Tin and Copper to make Bronze, and Bronze being stronger then both Tin or Copper alone, wouldn't you want to set up a trade so that you could trade some Copper for Tin and vis-versa in order to make some Bronze goods? This is of course just an example but you get my meaning.
    I am hoping the game turns out this way. Currently I do see some "rarer" resources (tar fields, others???), but there doesn't seem to be a reason to trade right now. Like Cunk said, each tribe can be self-sufficient atm.

I would think that most basic recipes would only require generic materials. However, I would like for the game to develop into something like you describe. Not to the point where one tribe can monopolize a specific resource, but definitely make some resources much rarer than others...

This would have to happen after the prelude period once these new resources are discovered. It'll be an interesting time to see it develop.

Kinslayer wrote:
    I like the idea of resource totems, but they need to be attackable and/or sieged.
    sieging is over done now. I think the devs could come up with a fresh idea for this type of mechanic.

Make the resource a limited supply... so the copper mine goes dry. You then have to find another one, so no one tribe would corner the market so to speak. You could raid the copper mine, take right from the mine, and that would in turn take away the X number of copper nuggets the mine was suppose to provide. So tribe A, find the mine, begins mining it, gets 127 copper bits, scouts from tribe B come in, take 52 bits, and the mine goes dry. The mine had a random number of copper bits, this time it was only 179. So you would want to protect your mine in order to get the most of it. Others will want to find the mine in order to get in on the ore.

tredo wrote:
    Make the resource a limited supply... so the copper mine goes dry. You then have to find another one, so no one tribe would corner the market so to speak. You could raid the copper mine, take right from the mine, and that would in turn take away the X number of copper nuggets the mine was suppose to provide. So tribe A, find the mine, begins mining it, gets 127 copper bits, scouts from tribe B come in, take 52 bits, and the mine goes dry. The mine had a random number of copper bits, this time it was only 179. So you would want to protect your mine in order to get the most of it. Others will want to find the mine in order to get in on the ore.
    I like this.

I would sooner have it a little different, after thinking on it some...

Prospecting skill allows a person to find ore deposits in the ground. It could be done in a way that you sort of track the ore. You may find small deposits, but not enough worth mining, so you continue to track the ore vein until you find the main deposit.

Once you find the main deposit, the Engineers move in and they have to actually build the mine, or mine shaft of some description. This would fall under Construction, and once built, you would see a physical mine there, which gives tribe access automatically.

Once the mine is built, and the tribe has access, the miners then come in, with the mining skill to extract the ore from the ground. Down the track as technology advances, we may see machinery to extract the ores, particularly for larger deposits.

Following that its all pretty obvious, you then need smelters to turn it into metal, etc.

But if other tribes spot your mine, or find the deposit around the same time, they can build a mine there too. So allow multiple mines to be built on the one ore deposit.

Of course we would like to see the ore deposits shifting (dynamic).

tredo wrote:
    I would like this as well. Overall I'd like to see resources both more regional, and limited. This would help foster trade between tribes, and keep their villages in constant flux as they struggle to survive. In this way every resource collected will be valuable.

Prospecting skill allows a person to find ore deposits in the ground. It could be done in a way that you sort of track the ore. You may find small deposits, but not enough worth mining, so you continue to track the ore vein until you find the main deposit.
    I love this idea because it creates a nice little mini-game without producing a lot of resources. Also it might be macro/bot proof (i could be wrong there).

well www.perpetuum-online.com has this down to a T surveying land is so cool, xsyon would benefit a lot from a system like this, say you head out to survey some land you find ore you mark down the pos get your tribe ready to setup quickly once you all get back to the pos earlier, setup the mine (should last about 1-2 weeks to make it work fortifying)start terraforming the fort for defense and your done BUT! wait what about solo players there can be small deposits that can be mini-mined i.e pickaxe.

Yeh, that sounds good too, Ill have to take a look at your link.

Wurm does good with this to, But I think if something like this was to be put in, It would have to be more like what Kinslayer said
    Engineers move in and they have to actually build the mine, or mine shaft of some description. This would fall under Construction,
    But this may have to be done like building a building, You have a blueprint of some type and you add wood beams, and in this case remove so much rock. without really diging down. Once you have done everything that the blueprint want. Your mine shaft appears.

I'm all for tribal stuff, As I always plan to be in a tribe, But I think that any solo player with the skills to do all that needs to be done should not only be able to do it, But also have a resource totem pole. This would at lest cut down on how many people that could take from there resource claim. Keeps all good tribes out and maybe even most of the neutral tribes.

I also was thinking that with this line of thinking, Maybe after the lands are expanded we may at some point need to look at trading post. This to could be a totem pole that could be set outside of the tribal lands. And this could also be something that could be added for the solo players as well.

With my imagination I could see this being something that the tribes that are friends are at lest neutral with each othere could do once a month or so. I'm sure it would have to be a big deal, As it would attract robbers and evil tribes wanting to score some fast loot, So it would need to be guarded heavily. Not only at the trade post but also on the trade route to the post.