Is this game dead?

Hello all.

I'm new around here, actually I just heard of this game this last Saturday. It looks interesting, like something I'd really like to get into.

I've youtubed some of the combat videos and I have to say, I'm not too impressed with the current state of combat. I do hold out hope for improvement, however.

But through all this I wonder- is this game dead?

I look through the forum and most areas don't seem to get many posts. Some go back much further then a week. I'm glad to see the announcements forum seems to have activity.

Is there a strong player base for the game?

I read somewhere that preordering the game allows one to play it from now up till release. Is that true?

If there's a following for the game, or atleast steady development progress,I'll preorder the game in the next few days.

Re: Is this game dead?

Hey there,
    Currently most content is being posted into PreOrder areas. The game is still being heavily developed and alot of players simply don't post in non-preorder areas.

That being said, combat is one area where people are either okay with it, or extremely want it to have updates. The vidoes on combat however also may a few months old and could have easily changed since then.

Preordering now will nearly always see you given personal download links to the game and a login to download the software (which I think is 2.5gb currently). It is required to first have a preorder account and the download link to download the game.

Development is currently being updated roughly every couple of days, the latest two posts are:

Xsyon Said:
    Update October 31

Happy Halloween everyone!

Just to keep everyone updated, we're plugging away on this update. Some of the changes we're making are taking a while, but we're getting there. We'll be working all night as usual and I'm hoping this update will be ready in a few more days.

That's all for now.

Update October 27

Good news! Thanks to recent tests and bug reports we've finally discovered the causes of several persistent problems in game: lag, zone crossing problems, teleporting crashes and memory build up.

Not so great news: As we're fixing all of this it will take us longer to patch out the next update. The heavy lag spikes and zone crossing crashes seem to have been eliminated. We're wrapping up the teleporting fixes and still revising the terrain loading system. This is taking a while as it requires changes in our terrain editor and terrain baking system in addition to the server and the client.

I'll post again when I have a better idea of when all of this can be patched out.

Update October 24

A quick update for today.

A power outage wasted half my day today, so I'm catching with what I wanted to get done for the day.

I'm not sure when the next patch will be ready. Thanks to some very helpful reports from players we found and fixed a major cause of lag and are working on eliminating the missing ground levels area for good.

So, the next update will take a while longer but will include more changes. Once this update is done I will take some time to review and answer questions.

Back to my code!
    We have cool new forums... Y~A~Y

Re:Is this game dead?

The in-game activity has been slow, there's a wipe comming soon in a few days so people don't want to invest their time right now.

As soon as they finish the next content patch, the servers will be wiped and everyone should be back in game.

The game is not dead at all, its under heavy development, we get information from the developers in every 2-3 days or even more often.

The forum is alive too, but people post in the preorder section, which is only available for the players who have preordered the game.

If you preorder now then you get access to the client and can play...but the game is in beta, so buy it if you'd like to help to test it. You can play it for fun too if you don't mind that your character gets wiped regularly (like in every week or so).

Its on the way to become a great game, I'd advise you to read the feature and FAQ pages, and feel free to ask for more info, people are really helpful here.

Oh sweet. Thanks for the quick replys, gents.

I really appreciate the input.

I have read the features page and really like what I see.

Actually, before creating a forum account I went through the website and forum fairly indepthly.

I hope to get a few of my friends into the game, if it pans out as the features page says.

The pictures don't give much sex appeal, which sounds kind of childish I know. But it's generally more fun to run around with characters that are aesthetically pleasing. Can characters be generally attractive?

Also it is kind of hinted at that there will be some form of magic in the game, is this true?

Thank you for the replies, again! I'll likely be preordering tonight or tomorrow if what I read keeps sounding so appealing.

First off... Jadzia is a girl, she might not take to kindly being called a "gent". lol,

Next, I have been in the game since March, if I remember right. The game has come so far in a short time. The thing to keep in mind is that the game is still in development, however like the others have said, we get an update several times a week usually. However, one thing the others have not mentioned is the dev team and their commitment to the game and more so the players. This game is being created by a VERY small dev team, and they want more then anything to make a game that the players want. I have been playing / beta / alpha testing games for almost 15 years, I have never, in any game, met a group of developers that stay in touch with the players as I have this game, EVER!

This game is far from dead, hell its just being born, there are things in this game that have yet to be thought up. This is the most open ended sandbox game I have seen or read about. The best part of this game is the future, and we don't even know what it is yet... I would bet the dev team doesn't either... well there might be one that has some ideas! The game is everything you want it to be, because you can make it that way! Play the game the way you want to!

tredo wrote:
    First off... Jadzia is a girl, she might not take to kindly being called a "gent". lol,

Oops! My bad. Sorry Jadzia!

Thanks for the input, tredo.

I came here from the MO forums, never played MO but was kind of let down by what I saw on the forums.

Before that I played EvE, which I had fun in but it was to time consuming.

And it all started, for me, on UO. And I haven't ever felt so free as I did to do, or not do, as UO made me feel.

InfinantJester wrote:
    tredo wrote:

Oops! My bad. Sorry Jadzia!

Thanks for the input, tredo.

I came here from the MO forums, never played MO but was kind of let down by what I saw on the forums.

Before that I played EvE, which I had fun in but it was to time consuming.

And it all started, for me, on UO. And I haven't ever felt so free as I did to do, or not do, as UO made me feel.
    Lol its ok

About the look of the characters...its a hard question. The body is ok, you can set the height and weight of your toon so you can create a very thin or even a fat one, or one with a normal body. The faces...oh well. I guess they look like as people would look in an ongoing apocalyps. I'd like nicer faces too, but these ones fit well to the lore, they reflect the hard physical work, too much sunshine and starving.How would a woman look like if she had to hunt bears and cut huge trees, with no makeup and no hairdressers around..lol :P

There won't be magic during Prelude ( the first chapter of the game), its a planned features for later extensions.