Trader and nomadic tribes

Allow nomadic tribes and tradertribes to be mobile:
    There are two things that make this life difficult. There are to many things to transport just to carry with a few people. Also when your tribe mouves to a different location, you need to travel behind them when you login.

Solutions

Tribal wagon: is basically a totempole on wheels. It does not give the same options as a normal pole
    1) Tribemembers that logout within range of the pole will travel along with the tribalwagon when they are logged out.
    2) you can change it stationary or to mobile
    3) Once stationary. The deployment of the camp can start. The mobile storage, craftingstation (if needed in the future). Only when stationaryt, its possible for the clan to do minor changes to the environment like sticking wooden pikes in the ground around the camp and make fences to keep horses from running away.
    4) To be back mobile they need to pack everything again. Including the pikes that need to be loaded on another wagon to transport these. The tribal wagon is unable to mouve until everything is packed.

To be able to make the tribal wagon you need at least x amount of members in the clan. You need at least 1 transportwagon and 2 covered wagons.

Transportwagon is the storage for goods, only accessable when the tribe is stationary

Covered wagon are the sleepingquarters of the tribesmembers. Each wagon gives quarter to 5 tribesmembers and allows them to travel along with the tribe when logged out. If the tribe has 11 members for example you need 3 covered wagons. If not, the last person in the clan (nr11 won’t be able to travel along with the clan)

Traderswagon is needed when you want to have access to storage when the tribe is mobile. It does not give as much space as a storage wagon.

Pikewagon is needed to be able to stick pikes in the ground and to transport them, and can also store the wooden planks for the fence for the horsestable at the same time.

Cool things to give meaning to trader- and nomadic tribes.

Decay of itemsDecay of items is important to keep the demand of items in game. If items don’t decay, market will drop dead within months. It would be kinda cool that you don’t mention any stats on weapons, tools or whatever item there is in game, Even buildings need to be repaired. Items will brake sometimes unexpected and with moments it will be very annoying.. If it would be a system where you don’t see it but that items get a better durability with the stats of the crafter (intelligence, dex, the craftskill itself and so on) and the materials used itself. People will notice that some items, crafter by person x will last longer, craft faster, do more damage, give better succesrates in crafting crafter x or trader y will have more demands and will be know for there crafter items. Traders can deliver the items all over the world and will have an extra addition of tradergoods: good quality tools.

Quality of itemsScrapyard are useful at the moment. Most of the basic stuff are found there now. It sounds natural to me that items found on the scrapyard are often in a bad shape and items of good QL rather rare finds. New items like animalsskinns immediately skinned from the animal should have a better quality and will have give a better durability to the good crafted with it.

Local items.
    Keeping the scrapyard in mind with lesser quality and keeping in mind that items newly made will give better quality and if those items are not available all over the map, people will have more meaning on placing there totems at less obvious places for:
    - Local trees: best wood
    - Some sort of animals with better skins
    - Iron/copper/gold/granite
    - Some kinda of sand to make the best bricks in the world or best mortar (dessert for example)
    - Salt
    Offcourse you will find most things (not all things) at all places but not in abundance or in lesser quality
    This also will give a need for different buildings or yards to be build to extract or make these building to extract this from the ground. Iron for example needs to be digged out filtered and melted,

These resources will be only accesable when special facilities are beeing build.

Seasonable products.
    Wintertime’s are always the hardest times to find food. Animals go in there wintersleep, grass will be covered with snow and useless to do anything with it, people will need to cut holes in the ice and it will be hard catch a fish. People will have to prepare for wintertime’s. Store grass to feed the animals, store food to feed themselves, store items to repair there houses buildings… in spring for example you would be able to find blossoms, can be used for example to make special dice to colour.

Food and resources
    turning bad, water that can be stored in storehouses
    Make food turn bad. People will need to look for ways to keep the food last longer during winter. Like salt and drying. During the medieval wars where being fought for salt (foodstorage). This way you have another valuable local product.
    Resources lying around all over the place is annoying. Make wood, grass rot when it’s lying outside in the rain. People will need to build storage’s just to be able to store it longer but much needed when they need to do repairs in winter or craft in winter with things you are not able to find.

Disasters:
    Flood
    Vulcano
    No rain
    Earthquake

Re:Trader and nomadic tribes

:blush: wall of text. Can't help it sorry peeps

Chade wrote:
    what are people learning these days that they can't take the time to read- makes no sense to me.

excellent post btw!

KeithStone wrote:
    Chade wrote:
    what are people learning these days that they can't take the time to read- makes no sense to me.

excellent post btw!
    Ty feel free to comment. If I read some good idea's I will include them in the list.

Point 1:
    How would you handle movement of the wagons?
    In theory you could have draft animals when we can domesticate animals, but then that leaves the question who is allowed to drive the wagon, and who decides where you go.

Point 2:
    How would you handle attack and defense?
    How would you build in a game mechanic that allows you to attack and defend a wagon convoy on the move. I suppose the case for a deployed wagon can be the same for a normal settlement.
    (While we cannot attack tribal area currently, there are plans in place, and you will need to plan accordingly, all of which can have gameplay ramifications.)

Re: Trader and nomadic tribes

Some good ideas... some not so good. Wagons will be a ways away I think, so what do you do in the meantime?

If some one logs off within range of the totem, and is offline for a month, they are taking up one of the 5 spots on a wagon, if you have several do that, you will be pulling a wagon that is full of offline members.

Will the totem not be able to go "mobile" if there are still things on the ground that belongs to a tribe member? If so, again, say that person has logged off, and forgot to change permissions on a bag, they have been gone a month, and you still can't go anywhere.

I like the idea about the change of seasons, lakes could freeze, unlikely that running water in a river will freeze, or at the base of a waterfall will freeze. I have been fishing in Alaska at -50 degrees, the river was flowing fast, it didn't freeze and you could catch a salmon every cast, within minutes. Deer, fox, beaver, raccoon, coyote, squirrel, and many other fur bearing animals will be available when there is snow on the ground. Grass however will go dormant, stop growing and be useless I agree.

Preserving your goods and items I like, decay of equipment and damaged equipment again, I think your right, this will help drive the economy.

Good work!

Diocletian wrote:
    Point 1:
    How would you handle movement of the wagons?
    In theory you could have draft animals when we can domesticate animals, but then that leaves the question who is allowed to drive the wagon, and who decides where you go.
    Offcourse from what I read there will be a triberanksystem in place. Should be the hihger ranked guys that put the tribalweagons back in mobile. Who rides the weagon? Every tribemember can. you need 1 for a weagon. To strat a tribe you need at least 10 members (currently 5) in this idea you only need 4 members to transport the startercarvan and offcourse you need horses/donkeys or anything that can pull a wagon.

Diocletian wrote:
    Point 2:
    How would you handle attack and defense?
    How would you build in a game mechanic that allows you to attack and defend a wagon convoy on the move. I suppose the case for a deployed wagon can be the same for a normal settlement.
    (While we cannot attack tribal area currently, there are plans in place, and you will need to plan accordingly, all of which can have gameplay ramifications.)
    Good point, I did not think abouth that yet. We have enough minds around here that can be creative no?

Re: Trader and nomadic tribes

tredo wrote:
    Wagons will be a ways away I think, so what do you do in the meantime?
    Shure it will be a while before it will be there. It took ages to discover the wheel on the other hand when there is an apocalypse, the wheel is going to be the first thing that is back. Anyhow I'm not a programmer, my guess its not an easy task implementing this

If some one logs off within range of the totem, and is offline for a month, they are taking up one of the 5 spots on a wagon, if you have several do that, you will be pulling a wagon that is full of offline members.
    Hmmm I thought abouth that. Darkfall has an answere. High ranked officer should have the power to kick someone out of the weagontrain or put him on a different spost so he won't mouve along with the tribe. Should not be that difficult to realize.

Will the totem not be able to go "mobile" if there are still things on the ground that belongs to a tribe member? If so, again, say that person has logged off, and forgot to change permissions on a bag, they have been gone a month, and you still can't go anywhere.
    if some things are set to privat. It does not belong the tribe does it?
    I was talking abouth tents, wooden pikes, the minor changes made to the environment. I was adding this idea because I was thinking abouth the nomadic feeling. You have different nomadic ways to walk with a simple backpack, To venture alone with a weagon or to part of nomadic train. Point is, it adds the atmosphere of beeing on the mouve pack your gear prepare to leave. I thought abouth native indeans and circuses how they are always packing and deploying things. Offcourse it does not take days to do that, just an hour or so but it just adds spice to the whole thing. I'm not a roleplayer but the roleplayers will love it

I like the idea about the change of seasons, lakes could freeze, unlikely that running water in a river will freeze, or at the base of a waterfall will freeze. I have been fishing in Alaska at -50 degrees, the river was flowing fast, it didn't freeze and you could catch a salmon every cast, within minutes. Deer, fox, beaver, raccoon, coyote, squirrel, and many other fur bearing animals will be available when there is snow on the ground. Grass however will go dormant, stop growing and be useless I agree.
    Ty for the lesson on nature. I agree that some parts are not as realistic as they should. I'm not verry familiar anymore with some parts of mother nature as some others. I've been thought that bears gett enough fat to survive winter, some of them go in a cave and sleep most of the time and only come out to eat. But lakes do freeze and well that's my whole point. Add some points of intrests there and some people are willing to cope with that problem to be able to make use of the other points of intrest in that area. At least you got my point and well I think, since you are so familiar with nature, you can be of a big use finding seasonable products.

Preserving your goods and items I like, decay of equipment and damaged equipment again, I think your right, this will help drive the economy.
    Good work!
    Thank you for the compliment.

The whole point of me making this post is that I do untherstand how important it is to have as mutch sand as possible in a sandboxgame to keep the kids intrested in the sandcastle and that aint easy these days cause people seen it all back in the old days