Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re:Terraforming does it work

Pino wrote:
    The world could also regenerate (Haven and Hearth)

^This

also

Just make terraforming outside tribe territory more slow and arduous.
    I like to make solo homesteads.

They should do it like EVE online, where you can be in an NPC corp which has a common chat and some rules concerning fighting etc. but are only loosely tied.
    And player corps (here: tribes) that follow common purposes, like war for conquest or whatever they want.

NPC tribes could be given 'comunal land' and some 'standard laws', so you can experience all aspects of gameplay. If you want a deeper experience, you'd have to join a PC tribe.

Also, this NPC tribe and land should be a safer haven for new players.

mrcalhou wrote:
    Okay...This I DON'T like. I can understand them not wanting us to mess up the landscape, but if it's that big of a deal then the playerbase will eventually regulate it. Terraforming can provide significant tactical advantanges to situations and I don't see why they should take that from us.

I'm inclined to agree here as well. This would enable tribes to build access roads etc to their area for faster travel, as well as enable tribes to lay seige to other tribes...like the Romans did at Massada. If beseiged tribes want to fight it, they could tear down the earth works as well, which would be part of the ongoing conflict.

If people get out of hand, im guessing there could be a community effort to manually repair the lands and replant flora and grasses. This could make for a good community project...like a day of early american rendezvous and for socializing.

This would require a tool or ability to get out of holes though, because some folks just like to grief others, and would make pit traps everyhere.

EDIT: In another game I've played, to get unstuck..which could be used for getting unstuck/out of a pit..the person can /suicide which will kill themselves with no penalty, and put them back at home bind point, which could be starting point for non tribed players, and totem for tribed players.

I dont like the idea of a no penalty suicide, as it then gets exploited as quick travel. Possibly the only way something like that would work, is if you left everything you were wearing and carrying behind when you suicide.

Kinslayer wrote:
    I dont like the idea of a no penalty suicide, as it then gets exploited as quick travel. Possibly the only way something like that would work, is if you left everything you were wearing and carrying behind when you suicide.
    yes, I agree...we dont want to start dumbing down the game with giving everyone a free ride home. We also dont want an exploitable system for people to overcome build up defenses. Which still leaves the question, how would someone get out of a pit dug to cause people hassles, just for the fun of it...ie..not as a real part of any defense and still not allow them to blink thru or over a wall?

EDIT: this is assuming everyone doesnt want to carry shovels, or other items to escape traps....but maybe that is what they should have to do...carry a shovel to dig way out?

How about ladders? The person stuck down the hole would need to contact a fellow tribe member to bring a ladder to get them out. If you are down the hole, you cannot deploy a ladder yourself, not sure how that can be coded. But the use of ladders in this way, would allow for someone building defenses in the way of a trench to plan for a guildie to be there to let him out.

Kinslayer wrote:
    How about ladders? The person stuck down the hole would need to contact a fellow tribe member to bring a ladder to get them out. If you are down the hole, you cannot deploy a ladder yourself, not sure how that can be coded. But the use of ladders in this way, would allow for someone building defenses in the way of a trench to plan for a guildie to be there to let him out.

What if you're out in the wilderness? Location coords will be removed, how will tribe members find you? what if you play at a time when no members are on?

But with terraforming is as it is now...these may be moot anyway.

All these scenarios have been run though my head.

This is why I'm trying to keep things relatively simple for now, but we'll keep expanding and changing these systems over time.

You will be able to build roads connecting towns in the future. There will also be a climbing skill that will allow players to climb steeper terrain. When I have time I'll check out other games as well. Things have changed since we started working on Xsyon and I'm always open to good ideas from other games (as most of you already know!)

Eve ^_^

I too like the idea of limited terraforming outside tribal areas, as it would allow for certain advantages such as creating trade-routes accecible via roads, quicker travel to and from major traffic areas that need a community of tribes to put an effort forth to create. But also nerfed enough that eveywhere you go you see huge soil fortifications because from my standpoint, we are just starting a post-apocalyptic society, not in the middle of one. It would be a major bummer for a new player 6 months from release seeing the world completly terraformed.