Immersion, Roleplay, Attitudes

Every game has a level of immersion, some more than others. This is hardest to do in an MMO, where eveyone has their own playstyle, and a game can quickly turn into an OOC (out of character) bitchfest in game forums.

I'm thinking a lot on my Darkfall experiences for this one. A common recruitment hook for the Goons was that Hyperion roleplayed, and thus were fags. With the horrible chat system, most people couldn't even communicate before they started killing each other. The only game 'immersion', was the competition between players, making it an entirely OOC affair.

I'm wondering how Xsyon will work out. Will it feel like my character Baldur is murdering this guy named Joe in cold blood, or will I just be ganking some noob? Will there be thought out tribal politics, and diplomacy, reputations... and rules to make it so?

Re:Immersion, Roleplay, Attitudes

I think certain elements of the games design will lend themselves to immersion. In-game trade agreements, sub-guilding, road construction, and the dynamic landscape all come to mind.

Also, the closeness of the game's setting (two years away) means the average 21st century douche talking about pwnage will fit right into the game world.

Welcome guys.

Well with the chat system they have, how its ranged based shows they are trying to keep some stuff RP.
    MrDDT

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    -Sun-tzu

Grimskeggr wrote:
    I think certain elements of the games design will lend themselves to immersion. In-game trade agreements, sub-guilding, road construction, and the dynamic landscape all come to mind.

Also, the closeness of the game's setting (two years away) means the average 21st century douche talking about pwnage will fit right into the game world.
    Good points!

I think the game evolves around roleplaying, it's basically the players who design the whole world.
    Quest's and what not.

darkrounge wrote:
    I think the game evolves around roleplaying, it's basically the players who design the whole world.
    Quest's and what not.
    That is so true! Everyone plays some kind of role when they enter the world, even if they did not intend to!

Exactly, and that's the blitz of this game.
    You and everyone else around you are changing the game momentarily, even if you didn't intend to your still changing the words,face and look of the game.

As i said in my video, choose your side "Good,evil or even neutral."

Yes, I think this game could be a roleplayer's heaven with roleplay actually acted out and not simply being a chat fest. So many options from crafted items, to player made quests, to political control of larger towns. That said the quality of roleplay will depend on tribal organization and cooperation between tribes having roleplay interests.

I just can't imagine the goons being real roleplayers except as a cover for their scams.

Leader of Ancient Embers at ancientembers.net

It's basically a social world,action and a politicianal world with a great atmosphere being it .