Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Character Aging

Character Aging

Will player characters ever die or have to be "retired" due to age? If so what sort of system is in place to deal with that? Will a retired character give some of his knowledge to offspring in the form of alternate characters or will there be no need to ever worry about death or "retirement"?

Re:Character Aging

Yes, they will, but it's going to be a while before players need to worry about that.

Characters currently age at the rate of 1 year per real time month.

Prelude characters will start off relatively young. They are a new generation, the offspring of Apocalypse survivors.

Game time in relation to real time is something that we are open to changing. Any opinions here? Would you prefer characters to age quickly or slowly? How many real time game years would be reasonable for you to reach a ripe old age and die?

Xsyon wrote:
    Game time in relation to real time is something that we are open to changing. Any opinions here? Would you prefer characters to age quickly or slowly? How many real time game years would be reasonable for you to reach a ripe old age and die?

How long is the life span after this apocalypse?

inferno3387 wrote:
    How long is the life span after this apocalypse?
    This depends on how you play the game, but in general players can live close to 100 years.

If there is a good system in place for reincarnation or whatever I wouldn't mind my character aging around 4-5 years per month.

It does all depend on what the death of your character means. A complete new start? you lose a percentage of your skills? Or possibly just have everything moved over to a new body.

I think that death from old age should have some sort of nice positive side as the players will have been playing for a long time.
    Brum, brum.

i think you should add some sort of reincarnation. like you age 1 year per real month. with each year you loose stats but ofcours can gain skills. you can either choose to age (up to a certain age) or choose to die and reincarnate (loosing something like Y% of your X skills) but having a fresh char with X-Y% of your old skills
    would be some mabinogi style
    otherwise i'd say aging should progress really slow maybe 1 year= 3 months in rl.
    Through Change conquer!

I think the RT to GT conversion should be a rate where an average player would reach Master of something around the age of 70.

I second Skitzi, it makes sense thata master of a craft would not be in his 30s.

However, at what age a character is a master of a skill also depends on how often a person plays. Someone who plays all hte time none stop might be able to be master at age 40 but someone who barely plays might never see such high levels of crafting before he "dies"

But that is pretty in line with real world mechanics. Now, I don;t want my fantasy game to mimic real life exactly, the game is supposed to be fun :P

With out knowing how quickly skill gain is, how quick they decay is, etc, it's hard to really say what the conversion should be.

It should take a lot of work to hit master "x". We shouldn't see every other player being master at something. My own play style is ~5-10 hours a week. I'm not sure if that is on the high end, low end, or middle of normal.

I would say it should take a player in the higher end of the middle to age 70-75 of really working at it, and a "hardcore" gamer to age 50-60 of really working at it.

If eventually dying is a goal to be reached with some great benefit I think it would be easy enough for me to handle.

But I dunno, even with a Real Lifespan of 4 to 5 years, losing a character with that much time invested would be pretty tough.