Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tribal Upkeep

Re:Tribal Upkeep

Derek wrote:
    I believe what the OP really wants (and I agree with) is a mechanism in place to deter very large clans from easily controlling large swaths of land.

Think about it. If there is no downside to owning more tribal land, then it the largest clans can and will take over as much as the game lets them.

There needs to be a downside. It could be in the form of no instant travel so it becomes more difficult to defend all of your holdings the more you spread out. Upkeep would also deter this from happening.

For those worried about an additional timesink - the upkeep could be scaled up nonlinearly depending on how much land the tribe controls.
    If the land is as big as it seems, it shouldn't matter if they take over large amounts of land. Let them formulate a town so players could come and trade with them. The limitation is people, most would like to do their own thing especially with their own friends.

There actually is already a downside for towns. The resources in each area is different then another. That means, smaller tribes will have certain patterns and crafts that you may not have. So those small tribes coming into a town will make a fortune because of their diverse items. The people who already live in the town will have useless items because of how common they are.

I honestly think that joining tribes/towns would just start players out. Eventually, they will want to move on with their learned skills in order to start a new town or tribe. Therefore I don't believe large towns will expand large enough to take over the whole world. So no, upkeep would be a very frustrating and useless time consumer. If I wanted to waste my time, I would have continued playing Wurm Online.

Besides that, I want to have fun and not have to worry about upkeep.

trenixdecease wrote:
    There actually is already a downside for towns. The resources in each area is different then another.
    This is one of the main reasons why larger tribes would try to take over as much of these areas as possible to control all of the resources.

I'm not a big fan of needless timesinks or tedious play. But, there should be a mechanism which makes it difficult to control large swaths of land without the man power to back it up.

I'll draw reference to Darkfall. There 50-80 man clans that have multiple holdings spread across the world so they have easy access to all the best mob spawns and easy travel via instant port between holdings. One of these clans could hold 3 or 4 cities and easily defend them from raiding forces by instant traveling to whichever city is being attacked, even if that city is completely on the other side of the map.

Another major flaw in Darkfall's system is that only one holding can be sieged at any given window of time. So mutliple smaller clans cannot organize I multi-front assault on their holdings.

Derek wrote:
    This is one of the main reasons why larger tribes would try to take over as much of these areas as possible to control all of the resources.
    This is considered a monopoly which is a great idea. Also, I'm pretty sure you're unable to control multiple resources being that you could only be in one tribe per given time. To expand a tribe far enough to take large amounts of resources seems impossible.

I didn't really play Darkfall but it seems like some areas had much more benefits than others. I don't believe that's the case with Xsyon. In Xsyon you get the same opportunities as any other place, however each place is diverse in their own way, not necessarily better or worse. Meaning, even a little tribe can have a item that a town would die for. No matter how big it is...

I just want to make it clear that tribal upkeep costs wouldn't be the responsibility of the each member of the tribe. It really only the concerns the leaders. Tribal leaders will simply look at what is demanded and set quests accordingly. Tribal members will go out and complete those quests. No so time sink necessary. People generally like doing quests especially if they are meaningful. At least I do.

I'm not sure what is planned for territorial conquest. You'll either destroy something, or stand in one area for X number of minutes. Or something completely different. I do hope that there will be some system in place for conquest.

Illmaculate wrote:
    prokop15 wrote:
    Holy speculation batman.
    These guys are out of control.
    LOL

I think it would be cool to need a sacrifice now and then, maybe an enemy or an animal. Just to stay in Gods good grace.

Maybe a system where tribal upkeep cost is in the form of structures decaying and needing repair. That way if a tribe disappears their land will be slowly be reclaimed by nature.

Paradox wrote:
    Maybe a system where tribal upkeep cost is in the form of structures decaying and needing repair. That way if a tribe disappears their land will be slowly be reclaimed by nature.
    Sounds like something from Wurm Online. If you're paying a monthly fee for a game and if you choose to have a tribe, then it shouldn't deteriorate. If Xsyon's world is too small for us, then it's their responsibility to make it bigger. This is what we're paying for. In addition, not all tribes do sacrifices.

Best to my knowledge structures and items will require upkeep. Your character requires upkeep as well since you need to eat, and drink to maintain your energy, and perhaps other attributes later. I don't see the problem though. Its just another thing to do. Sandbox games often have things people find undesirable like thievery and getting ganked. Its part of the genre.

Venciera wrote:
    Best to my knowledge structures and items will require upkeep. Your character requires upkeep as well since you need to eat, and drink to maintain your energy, and perhaps other attributes later. I don't see the problem though. Its just another thing to do. Sandbox games often have things people find undesirable like thievery and getting ganked. Its part of the genre.
    Eating, drinking, and maintaining your energy doesn't go down while you're offline and paying for the game at the same time. I've never heard about an upkeep for structures, however at least the player could keep his terraforming and location for as long as he wants. What you're suggesting is that after a player doesn't play for a few days, his good hard work gets stolen and taken over even if he's still paying for the game.

trenixdecease wrote:
    What you're suggesting is that after a player doesn't play for a few days, his good hard work gets stolen and taken over even if he's still paying for the game.
    Yup, that's to be expected.