Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tribal Upkeep

Re:Tribal Upkeep

Venciera wrote:
    trenixdecease wrote:
    What you're suggesting is that after a player doesn't play for a few days, his good hard work gets stolen and taken over even if he's still paying for the game.
    Yup, that's to be expected.
    I could understand that. However, disbanding a tribe is a tad too far. Land shouldn't be taken over, instead your stuff should get stolen and destroyed due to inactivity. However, that should be done by other players rather than deterioration.

Well again, I don't know whats planned, but I would think buildings would deteriorate only to the point of near collapse. At which point it would no longer be functional as a shelter. Then it might cost half the mats to repair. Weapons and items would probably only degrade with use.

Venciera wrote:
    Well again, I don't know whats planned, but I would think buildings would deteriorate only to the point of near collapse. At which point it would no longer be functional as a shelter. Then it might cost half the mats to repair. Weapons and items would probably only degrade with use.
    That is acceptable. Way different story if it were to be removed.

trenixdecease wrote:
    Venciera wrote:
    Best to my knowledge structures and items will require upkeep. Your character requires upkeep as well since you need to eat, and drink to maintain your energy, and perhaps other attributes later. I don't see the problem though. Its just another thing to do. Sandbox games often have things people find undesirable like thievery and getting ganked. Its part of the genre.
    Eating, drinking, and maintaining your energy doesn't go down while you're offline and paying for the game at the same time. I've never heard about an upkeep for structures, however at least the player could keep his terraforming and location for as long as he wants. What you're suggesting is that after a player doesn't play for a few days, his good hard work gets stolen and taken over even if he's still paying for the game.
    This game is supposed to be based on reality. Don't a building decay? Don't you need to repaint it from time to time, fix the walls, kitchen, rooms, floors (I could keep on going) Oh my yes you do, and haven't it already been stated that items and such will decay with time? Yes they have. So will buildings decay? Most likely, like everything else. Is that an upkeep? No, that is life for ya.

And to your information Vanguard: SoH makes use of Upkeep (no one seems to complain in that game about upkeep=

Deal with it carebears. It's not a game where you don't have to do anything to get everything. It is a game where you have to work to achieve something, even if it is only minor achievements.

VeryWiiTee wrote:
    This game is supposed to be based on reality. Don't a building decay? Don't you need to repaint it from time to time, fix the walls, kitchen, rooms, floors (I could keep on going) Oh my yes you do, and haven't it already been stated that items and such will decay with time? Yes they have. So will buildings decay? Most likely, like everything else. Is that an upkeep? No, that is life for ya.
    I could argue with you if this game is based on reality:
    "A world that once existed only in the realm of mythology, legend and imagination has become concrete and very real. "

But its really not very relevant to my point. Even if it was reality based, the purpose of a game is to have fun. I understand you have to paint your kitchen time to time, but do you enjoy it ? I've never asked my friend 'Oh please let me paint your kitchen, I just love it, I'll pay for you if you let me do it'. We are here to have fun, not to have another job. So a developer should ask himself about a feature 'Is it fun ?', and not 'Is it realistic ?'.

I personally don't like the upkeep idea. I've played Atitd ( A Tale in the Desert) and maintaining buildings were nothing but a headache.But even there the active subscriptions got an opportunity to avoid upkeep for their main building (so called cornerstones).

Active subscriptions shouldn't suffer from buildings decaying, inactive ones should IMO.

.. Well, based on reality gives freedom .

I'm just saying it is unrealistic that armor, weapons and tools which are all crafted does decay, but not a building. I'm not saying it should be a huge part of the game, preferably not as there are already loads of jobs to do, but honestly I would be surprised if everything I crafted for a character to wear and use decays, but not the houses which stands in wind, rain and sun all year long doesn't require a log, board or stone now and then?

VeryWiiTee wrote:
    .. Well, based on reality gives freedom .

I'm just saying it is unrealistic that armor, weapons and tools which are all crafted does decay, but not a building. I'm not saying it should be a huge part of the game, preferably not as there are already loads of jobs to do, but honestly I would be surprised if everything I crafted for a character to wear and use decays, but not the houses which stands in wind, rain and sun all year long doesn't require a log, board or stone now and then?
    Taking your analogy, armors, weapons and tools decay much much faster IRL than buildings. I can wear a boot for like 5 years, if its a very good quality than perhaps for 10 years... a well built house can stand for hundred of years. And during these hundreds of years the main structure won't need any maintenance, it will only need maintenance for some fluff (like painting the walls, polishing the floor etc.)

Still if the developer can find a way to make upkeep actually fun then its ok. I just can't imagine how could it be done :P I'd like a game that is fun to play, and that won't become a daily chore (like Atitd, that was the reason I left that game.)

A building needs upkeep in RL, even the newest of houses will need some things, be it tap washers or a light bulb, its still upkeep. Structurally your house may stand for many years, but everything else would fall down around it and stop working.

Kinslayer wrote:
    A building needs upkeep in RL, even the newest of houses will need some things, be it tap washers or a light bulb, its still upkeep. Structurally your house may stand for many years, but everything else would fall down around it and stop working.
    There is no electric in the game or even a running water supply.

trenixdecease wrote:
    Kinslayer wrote:
    There is no electric in the game or even a running water supply.
    I think you're missing the point entirely.