Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Visitor

Question About Deterioration

So my question pertains to deterioration and what will happen when people are gone for significant amounts of time?

Basically, there have been other games I've heard of that let you build and such, I believe I'm referring to Second Life, though I literally woke up two minutes ago, so bear with me. Basically, a person creates say, a town and people play for a while and then gradually move on to other games, which happens a lot and in Second Life, to my knowledge, its filled with ghost towns.

Are we going to have any sort of deterioration set in place so that we don't wind up with ghost towns and stuff all over the place? I mean it is only natural that people will move onto other things eventually and new people will come in and take their place. If deterioration is in fact set in place, will people be able to scavenge from it, as it deteriorates?

Anyhow, this was just something on my mind last night.

Re:Question About Deterioration

I hope they make it like UO when you can see the status of the house and figure out when its going to fall. Some of my best time in a mmorpg is waiting for houses to fall and trying to defend if agains outer pk's for the loot.
    [img size=500]http://i42.tinypic.com/15yys69.jpg[/img]

Pippa wrote:
    So my question pertains to deterioration and what will happen when people are gone for significant amounts of time?

Basically, there have been other games I've heard of that let you build and such, I believe I'm referring to Second Life, though I literally woke up two minutes ago, so bear with me. Basically, a person creates say, a town and people play for a while and then gradually move on to other games, which happens a lot and in Second Life, to my knowledge, its filled with ghost towns.

Are we going to have any sort of deterioration set in place so that we don't wind up with ghost towns and stuff all over the place? I mean it is only natural that people will move onto other things eventually and new people will come in and take their place. If deterioration is in fact set in place, will people be able to scavenge from it, as it deteriorates?

Anyhow, this was just something on my mind last night.

in 100 years the town will be filled with vegetation and you will be dead from long time ago ....as the game himself

I think deterioration should be in the game. Repairs will keep the economy going and it will free up land for new players. It would also be cool for future players to come across old ruins from some forgotten tribe. That would give a real sense of history gone by.

Leader of Ancient Embers at ancientembers.net

Visitor

Oakstead wrote:
    I think deterioration should be in the game. Repairs will keep the economy going and it will free up land for new players. It would also be cool for future players to come across old ruins from some forgotten tribe. That would give a real sense of history gone by.
    Yep, I'm in complete agreement. I think things need to dilapidate over time and make room for new things. Even a building can become ruins in 5 years of no care, so, I'm hoping that they will put some sort of deterioration system in place.

Plus, aside from finding ruins of a forgotten tribe, it would be nice to be able to scavenge useful items from old camp sites and such.

Xsyon Citizen

That is a really good idea. And if it is not already implemented, i hope that the devs will do it.
    Not only whole villages, for example: what will happen to a player's building (tent or house or whatever he built).
    When will it become lootable? As soon as he/she is not an active subscriber anymore? Can we loot everything thas is in the house or only some parts? What will happen when the player returns to the game?

When in darkness or in doubt,
    run in circles, scream and shout.

Don't they have something similar in WURM? Would be be a really nice addition to Xsyon.

Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Visitor

Lardocrul wrote:
    That is a really good idea. And if it is not already implemented, i hope that the devs will do it.
    Not only whole villages, for example: what will happen to a player's building (tent or house or whatever he built).
    When will it become lootable? As soon as he/she is not an active subscriber anymore? Can we loot everything thas is in the house or only some parts? What will happen when the player returns to the game?
    1) When will it become lootable? As soon as he/she is not an active subscriber anymore?
    Well, personally I think there should be some kind of grace period. Like over a few months it should deteriorate because the player is no longer taking care of it (quite frankly, it could happen even while they have a subbed account, I mean even on a usual basis things need fixing and upgrading in a standard-real-life home) and then after a certain amount of deterioration has taken place, it would only make sense that looters would come along.

2) Can we loot everything thas is in the house or only some parts?
    To me it would depend on what they decided was left after the few months of deterioration.

3) What will happen when the player returns to the game?
    They'll be sad for a bit as realization sets in that their "home" has now deteriorated into disrepair and looters have vandalized and stolen what was salvageable, that is, if any of their dwelling still remains. Otherwise, they'll come to the realization that they are forced to start over and head back into the forests to collect wood and other useful house-building objects.

Anyhow, this is just my silly little deterioration idea.

Hopefully they do have some kind of deterioration set up, or they're gonna wind up having a decent number of abandoned buildings piling up all over the place, over time.

Deterioration is a good idea, and absolutely needed in a building game. I don't agree with the looting part though, since every game try to encourage old players to come back after they left the game. So i would say the player should loose his buildings after he cancelled his subscription, but everything he had should be stored on his account to make his return easier.

Deterioration would be nice, and I agree it is a must for a game like this. It should be a long process though and should depend on what the building is made out of to determine how long it can last without maintenance before it turns to ruins, and eventually becomes nothing but scraps. There should be exceptions to deterioration for certain player built buildings(such as hidden treasure rooms for example).