Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    Alternative payment models / F2P?

    What do you think about alternative payment models?

    Some players will flame everyone who dares to mention F2P, but then there's also games like Guild Wars, which was ~50$ for each expansion and no monthly cost. I liked the GW model and it was also pretty successfull. EVE has quite a unique model, but i'm not sure how it really works. D&D Online seems to do much better as well after switching to a model based on buying expansions and items.

    The reason why I like alternative models is that they allow everyone to progress at their own pace. It's better for casual players in general. I don't really despise item shops either, as long as they're fair - but i guess an item shop for Xyson is out of question, anyway :P

  2. #2

    Re:Alternative payment models / F2P?

    It's going to be P2P. I don't really see how any other method would work for a game with this much innovation and content. All F2P or item mall games that I've ever played have been inferior to most p2p mmos.

    Remember that DDO didn't begin as a F2P game either.

    By whicker at 2010-04-12

  3. #3
    Visitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Levittown, PA (EST)
    Posts
    61

    Re:Alternative payment models / F2P?

    VowOfSilence wrote:
    What do you think about alternative payment models?

    Some players will flame everyone who dares to mention F2P, but then there's also games like Guild Wars, which was ~50$ for each expansion and no monthly cost. I liked the GW model and it was also pretty successfull. EVE has quite a unique model, but i'm not sure how it really works. D&D Online seems to do much better as well after switching to a model based on buying expansions and items.

    The reason why I like alternative models is that they allow everyone to progress at their own pace. It's better for casual players in general. I don't really despise item shops either, as long as they're fair - but i guess an item shop for Xyson is out of question, anyway :P
    a) I hate F2P games. I've tried many and the cash shops usually ruin them. If Xsyon went f2p, I'd be... devastated. The feature list is so wonderful and I would be forced to move on.

    b) Cash shops ruin games because the developers of them are generally greedy. With a p2p game I get 100% content for the $15 I pay a month. With a f2p game, I get some content and then have to pay for things that I need, sometimes you have to rent these and you wind up spending far more then you would in any p2p game.

    c) GW's model was different and it worked for them, but I've never seen anyone else even try that one. However, I'd be hardpressed to call it much of an MMO. It's basically a single player game with some community areas.

    d) D & D online was never an incredibly successful game. There were tons of problems with it, and just like GW's it has terrible instancing. They couldn't make much money with it as a P2P game, because it just wasn't very good, so they made it f2p with a cash shop and its doing better because of the casual players.

    I can understand a casual person's outlook on f2p, because while they're working, they're not playing and so maybe for you it doesn't feel like you're getting what you're paying for. However, you probably spend $15 or more just going to a fast food restaurant and that affords you a burger, a thing of fries and a soft drink, these last for 5 minutes before your body is breaking them down. An MMO can afford you 30 days of entertainment, not just 5 minutes worth.

    A f2p game, to me, is simply not viable. I don't get anywhere near as much content as I do from a p2p game, and even then still wind up having to pay more then I would for the p2p, whether it be for bags or to stay competitive in PvP, etc. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

  4. #4

    Re:Alternative payment models / F2P?

    Pippa wrote:
    A f2p game, to me, is simply not viable. I don't get anywhere near as much content as I do from a p2p game, and even then still wind up having to pay more then I would for the p2p, whether it be for bags or to stay competitive in PvP, etc. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
    ppl claim this all the time, but in my experience, it just isn't true. I know players who maxed a character in Runes of Magic spending 0$, while others stubbornly keep telling everyone it would cost hundres and even thousands of dollars to do so. I played till lvl40 of 50 without spending any money, and it was almost too easy. Quit because i got bored.

    Anyway, b2t. An item shop in Xyson feels kinda out of place, anyway.


    Edit: btw, does anyone know how EVE works? I read that players can pay for the subscription with ingame-money... sounds a bit weird.

  5. #5
    Visitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Levittown, PA (EST)
    Posts
    61

    Re:Alternative payment models / F2P?

    VowOfSilence wrote:
    Pippa wrote:
    A f2p game, to me, is simply not viable. I don't get anywhere near as much content as I do from a p2p game, and even then still wind up having to pay more then I would for the p2p, whether it be for bags or to stay competitive in PvP, etc. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
    ppl claim this all the time, but in my experience, it just isn't true. I know players who maxed a character in Runes of Magic spending 0$, while others stubbornly keep telling everyone it would cost hundres and even thousands of dollars to do so. I played till lvl40 of 50 without spending any money, and it was almost too easy. Quit because i got bored.
    I've played Runes of Magic, the price to "rent" a bag is unreasonable in my opinion. I would be more than willing to spend the money to purchase the bag, outright, for my character, but instead they make me rent it, and the overall total will wind up being nearly as much as a P2P game's monthly rate is. Plus the mount. To buy a mount outright its $10 in and of itself.

    Now, sure you can play the game without spending a dime, but not if you're on a PvP server, unless you want to try to work your tail off and thats only if someone is willing to carry you through the instances to get gear and most people aren't willing.

    On top of that, a decent amount of things in game require a diamond here a diamond there and those are expensive on the AH. It's easier to just pay the darn $5 and get 500 diamonds then to farm daily for the cash to afford 1.

    The game would have been pretty decent if it had been p2p.

    And yes, before you say it, no you do not need bags, you can make 9 characters to keep your crap on, but thats pretty inconvenient, especially if you want another character slot later, instead of a bank character, due to the 24/hr downtime between deleting characters.

    I understand the company needs to make money, but I'd rather an option to buy things outright (like Allods Online), rather then renting them. You may not have to spend hundreds to get to where you need to be on a PvE server, but you definitely get more for a P2P game for $15 then you do on a F2P game, in my opinion.

    A Perfect World is even worse and you really do need to spend hundreds if not more, to stay competitive in that game.

    Overall, I've been pretty disappointed by f2p games, so unfortunately I advocate against them whenever mentioned, especially if the game in question is looking to be a pretty decent p2p.

    VowOfSilence wrote:
    Anyway, b2t. An item shop in Xyson feels kinda out of place, anyway.
    Yes I agree with you on that one. It doesn't really have the right atmosphere, even if it were f2p.

  6. #6

    Re:Alternative payment models / F2P?

    No to F2P, period.



  7. #7

    Re:Alternative payment models / F2P?

    VowOfSilence wrote:
    Edit: btw, does anyone know how EVE works? I read that players can pay for the subscription with ingame-money... sounds a bit weird.
    I think that it was possible for players to sell subscription time in game, so people can play for free if they don't want to spend RL money but have to work harder in game to buy subscription from players who sell them.

    Not sure tough.

  8. #8

    Re:Alternative payment models / F2P?

    The player run economy is a very important part of every sandbox game, and itemshop model totally ruins it.

  9. #9
    Visitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SD, California
    Posts
    108

    Re:Alternative payment models / F2P?

    VowOfSilence wrote:
    [quote]Pippa wrote:


    Edit: btw, does anyone know how EVE works? I read that players can pay for the subscription with ingame-money... sounds a bit weird.
    People can buy what Eve calls "plex" for 35 dollars. They recieve the plex in-game and can be sold, contracted, given, and when clicked it automatically credits 60 days to a players account.

  10. #10

    Re:Alternative payment models / F2P?

    Kush wrote:
    People can buy what Eve calls "plex" for 35 dollars. They recieve the plex in-game and can be sold, contracted, given, and when clicked it automatically credits 60 days to a players account.
    Hm... doesn't that have quite a big impact on the game? You can officially just pay people to influence them? Sounds like a dangerous system, actually...

Similar Threads

  1. Got my refund today.
    By Yinn in forum Prelude Talk - General Discussion
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 09:46 PM
  2. Wheres my game?
    By Mataca in forum Prelude Talk - General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 02:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •