• Global Standard Currency?

30 33.71%
  • Item for Item Barter System?

46 51.69%
  • Don't care either way?

13 14.61%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    **I.E I FOUND A PROBLEM CONVERSION WISE. I KNOW!*

I don't see the problem in using currency. I'd like to see a local kind of currency where you can set the values of your currency. The game could be implemented with a calculator that could calculate your kind of currency into the other tribes currency in which the whole global currency is taken out of the picture, the reason I don't like global currency is because of the Tribe Alignment system.

Imagine it. Tribe A (Good alignment) have the same currency as Tribe B (Evil alignment)
    - Both tribes can't stand each other.
    - I doubt you would want the same currency as your hated neighbour.

Creating currency would require;
    A) A melting profession and a Paper profession
    B) Just one of them
    C) You collect the dollar bills, pennies and quarters and your tribe creates their own tribal currency from that (through some sort of station, e.g totem).

You are then able to say what a Lux Arcana Dollar bill is set to in value.
    E.g 1 dollar bill = 2v

Tribe A;
    1x Dollar Bill = 3v
    1x Quarter = 2v
    1x Penny = 1v

Tribe B;
    1x Dollar Bill = 5v
    1x Quarter = 3v
    1x Penny = 2v

Tribe B wants to buy an item of some sorts from Tribe A. Tribe B charges 2x Dollar Bills or items of the same value for the item, a value of 10. Tribe A needs to convert their currency. (This is were I just lost my train of thoughts.)

So long that you run with a;
    1x Dollar Bill = xx
    1x Quarter = xx < 1x Dollar
    1x Penny = xx < 1x Quarter.

I gotta go through it some more to find weak spots, but that would be my suggestiong written very briefly..

Actually you can still barter, people just don't do it anymore. I was able to exchange my pair of shoes for a pair of new pants, t'was quite fun .

That doesn't solve the problem of inflation.

Then live in communist china, Old Sovjet, Cuba or whatever and don't trade, but with trade and capitalism comes inflation.
    That's how it works, something lose value and some gain, we can't all be rich.

- I don't whine when my scrapyard doesn't contain any nails and then their price sky-rocket, I find other ways of either maintaining status quo or I try and improve it.

I'm looking forward to read your explanation about the different currency conversion. Without it your idea is kinda incomplete

Well I had it. And then it was like.. Pew. Gone.

Don't know, I might have realised a conversion problem, but I think I got a way of getting around it as well..

Quote Originally Posted by VeryWiiTee View Post
    Well I had it. And then it was like.. Pew. Gone.

Don't know, I might have realised a conversion problem, but I think I got a way of getting around it as well..
    I think I don't understand how it would work in game.
    Let's say tribeA is selling a sword for 100 dollarA. A member of tribeB, Joe wants to buy it. How can he pay ? Can he pay with 100 dollarB ? Why would tribeA accept dollarB ? If they don't, how can Joe get dollarA ? What if Joe says his money is worth more and only want to pay 50 dollarB...

And what if I sell something for tribe A for 1000 dollarA. After that tribeA loses its members and disappear from game. What will happen with my 1000 dollarA ? It becomes useless ?

Thank you mrcalhou, I think you have just given me the spark I needed to design a stable global standard currency system. I will work on the details a bit, I am kind of busy right now, once finished I will post the proposed system on this thread for feedback.

The problem with this system is that currency has no face value. For example if you have 100 logs and you sell them for 1000 dollar bills, your still getting shafted in the long run because you can't do anything with the money you have attained. The only way money could be worth anything is if a game mechanic required using it for something other than trading, which it does not. That is why the system of global currency is flawed.

Yeah, and I gotta apologize for a bit rude answer as well. I get what your inflation problem. Honestly, I haven't given it any thought as the economy is player run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Features
    Economy

The economy is entirely player run. It relies heavily on players to gather resources, craft necessary items and trade. Players can barter or buy and sell using local currency.
    Anywho, I'll sum up my stuff .

Local currency would require some sort of value, either set by the developers and currency, because of this, only differs in name. In which this discussion won't matter :P.
    If it isn't, it requires the tribes to set their currency to a value for each kind of currency (this being penny, quarter and dollar bill for now).
    You need some sort of converter in-game for it to work. This could be a building which is built by players, for now we can use the totem pole where you can do the conversion.
    Having different kinds of currency requires a hierachy, so you need to apply a set of rules.

You cannot go below value 1 for a penny.
    Penny < Quarter < Dollar bill.
    Value = V

TribeX; (it would get very messy with numbers, a's, b's and c's so these are the lowest number showing. I can't be bothered to make a variable, not now at least.)
    DollarX: V< or = 3
    QuarterX: V< or = 2
    PennyX: V< or = 1

TribeA;
    DollarA = 3
    QuarterA = 2
    PennyA = 1

TribeB;
    DollarB = 5
    QuarterB = 3
    PennyB = 2

TribeB is selling a rare item and they are selling it for 100 CurrencyB (let's assume it is dollars for now or we need a more complex variable again.)
    100xDollarBV = V
    100x5 = 500

Now TribeA would really like to buy this rare item. However, their CurrencyA is off less value. They need to trade their CurrencyA to CurrencyB. They go to the totem, click the trade currency. They get a conversion table and can then trade their currency into the desired amount.

They know they need 100xDollarBV and the game would tell them how many DollarAV they needed for 100xDollarBV.

In this case.
    5:3 = 1,67
    100xDollarB x 1,67 = DollarAV
    100x1,67=167

This way, money would flow in and out of the system as currency would disappear as well as reappear due to trade.

Did it make more sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    And what if I sell something for tribe A for 1000 dollarA. After that tribeA loses its members and disappear from game. What will happen with my 1000 dollarA ? It becomes useless ?
    sounds realistic to me, but I can see the headache- however if you sold something for 1000 dollars, then you got somthing in return for it- so it doesn't really matter if that tribe goes away or not.