Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I was thinking as this would be an advanced form of crafting it would have to take something like a workbench, Or at lest thats the way I took it.

Ah, when I mentioned it I was thinking something simple, like how rainforest tribes use poisons for darts and stuff like that. Extracting stuff from plants is old too. Like coffee and tea and cocaine and chewing on this certain tree's bark that grows in africa because it has a lot of acetylsalicilic acid (aspirin).

Thanks for the feedback people keep it coming. This by all means isnt meant to just be "This is how I want it and thats it"

I agree Trek with those thoughts on it, and I agree with you that items should be different.
    Mrcalhou, I agree also with the balanced items should have pros and cons, but I also agree that some ideas wont have cons if you use the right mats, got lucky, and have good skill, and were active crafting it. Dont forget I believe also in a decay system that changes items from "NEW" status to used quickly and the first hit to being out of new status changes the stats on items. This is to promote people wanting to use new items for special things, and using used tools/items for basic skilling and everyday things.
    Take a mason making bricks. Well you can make everyday bricks with a used item because you are just making house walls etc. But say if bricks had stats on them, and if you used high stat bricks from using good tools you could maybe make stronger walls (defense walls). Thus you would want to have your skilled masons and newer tools making these bricks. While others make bricks for basic houses or roads.

Aliksteel. EQ2 crafting reaction was a joke really, is it better than this? YES by far. But really, all I did was spam 123 if I was doing a hard item (higher than my skill) or 456 if I was doing something lower than my skill. Reason was, it didnt matter for you reaction. Its better to get the effects 100% of the time rather than picking the correct reaction.
    Im also looking for more choices, not just failure/success reactions. Choices like, lower durability but faster crafting, or lower durability but higher stats, or lower stats takes longer and higher durability. Plus if you just let it go afk, you miss out on all those.
    Totally agree with the skilling idea, you had it spot on part of what I was thinking there.

What I would like to see also is crafters names attached to items also. I always thought that was cool in UO.

Think SWG had "made by" on the item as well, If not SWG, I know there was another that had it. Never had a chance to play UO.

When I was thinking pros and cons, I was thinking about how Eve has different ammo for different situations. Like, one ammo might be better at taking out shields but not as good against hulls, one might be balanced to do equally well against hulls and shields but not great at either. And also how different turrets of the same class might have a faster attack speed but lower damage and lower range, or a high range and damage per shot, but a low refire rate, or have an average refire rate, average damage, and average range. Things like that.

So that's what I mean by pro's and con's. I guess a better way would have been if I phrased it as "they would be more useful in some situations but less useful in others." Like using a slow and heavy sword against heavily armored and slow characters, while using a fast, but weaker sword against agile characters.

I don't think crafters should be able to create an item that would be good in all situations. I don't want one thing being completely overpowered relative to everything else. Compared to a few things? Sure, but not too many. I want there to be a reason for players to use different weapons within each of the different types of weapons. Same with armor and so on.

I was also thinking that crafters would have a minigame type of thing when crafting (I suppose similar to what vanguard had though I never played it, but rather heard that it was really well done), that would give bonuses and deficits relative to what the base stats would be, but nothing completely drastic.

Mraclhou,

Yes thats a great idea. I thought you were talking about like an item would have to have cons. Which I dont agree. Items will decay, so some items will be good for lots of stuff but will decay away. These items would also be rare and very hard to make. So I guess the con would be very costly. I agree totally with the ammo though, I love that. Balancing for PVP and PVE will always be something thats "in progress" and these are the types of things that make it fun and what I love to do.

Vanguard had a pretty fun system. Im thinking of something like that for a "minigame" only I would like to see more choices and effects. Like say you could choose to make something faster but poor quality, or something higher quality but take longer. (Balancing here would be needed but the point remains)