Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Fish Farming

  1. #1

    Fish Farming

    Since we are going to have agriculture, why can't we also have aquaculture? I'm sure it was mentioned before, but everyone always talked about ponds. In my opinion, to have ponds seems like a very difficult implementation, mainly because they are under ground. However, above ground ponds will be much easier since they will be like all the other structures we have now.


    Above Ground Ponds

    • Oak barrels
    • Sinks
    • Bathtubs
    • Metal Containers
    • Bricks & Cement
    Not only can use these containers to drink water from and store objects in, but once filled up they should allow you to begin your aquaculture.


    Fish Farming System

    Once water is placed in a container, dry objects should no longer be allowed inside of it. After the minimum require volume is filled up in a container for farming fish, you should then be able to start dropping fish into the container. The same species of fish will mate and will generate eggs which will soon hatch into fish. Depending on the container, it will restrict the amount and type of fish you can contain. If it exceeds the limit, fish will no longer reproduce.

    In addition, fish will need to be fed. Fish that are not fed, will eventually die. Also, drinking from a pond should harm you. Therefore, you will need different containers for drinking water and farming fish. Species will be diverse by the food that they consume and the rate that they reproduce.



    Benefits
    • Many new species of fish to discover.
    • Fishing would become more valuable.
    • Species will give different affects.
    "Corruption is nature's way of restoring our faith in democracy."
    - Peter Ustinov

  2. #2
    As a resident of the Louisiana Gulf Coast, I must whole-heartedly say I disapprove of farm raised marine products. While farm raised marine products are cheaper, they are of much less quality and their flavor is sub-par at best. Buying farm raised marine products supports Chinese Communists. Support your local fisherman. Buy quality. Buy Democracy!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    As a resident of the Louisiana Gulf Coast, I must whole-heartedly say I disapprove of farm raised marine products. While farm raised marine products are cheaper, they are of much less quality and their flavor is sub-par at best. Buying farm raised marine products supports Chinese Communists. Support your local fisherman. Buy quality. Buy Democracy!
    All I can do is shake my head, the sad part is that someone will find this to be funny. Seriously, can you just take this to the off topic forums?
    "Corruption is nature's way of restoring our faith in democracy."
    - Peter Ustinov

  4. #4
    It's not off-topic though. The arguement I used is silly, but I didn't actually go off-topic. ^_^

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    It's not off-topic though. The arguement I used is silly, but I didn't actually go off-topic. ^_^
    The topic was about fish farming inside of Xsyon. I didn't ask if you were a resident of the Louisiana Gulf Coast, nor do I care that marine products in real life are cheaper. The topic has nothing to do about the quality or flavor of fish either. The Chinese and communism is not part of the topic as well, in fact you sound rather racist. In addition, don't advertise on my suggestions about where people should buy fish from. America is not even a democracy, its a republic. At least be accurate when you try to derail a topic.
    "Corruption is nature's way of restoring our faith in democracy."
    - Peter Ustinov

  6. #6
    For one you would need some kind of filtration system. So your idea would not work. You might be able to raise 1 catfish in a barrel. But no more. They would get sick in such a tight space anyways if you have alot. I don't see how you say a pond would not work in the game. Yes it would prolly be difficult to do, but could be done. You dig a hole and fill it with water. But fish in a barrel would not work. They would all die in a day or 2.

  7. #7
    I find your idea good trenixdecease, I think people are trying to bring the real world in here a little to much. Yes we all want it to look and feel real to a point, But very little of real life will be in game. If you really want the real world in-game, Then it would take many people and hours to drag just one long log back to your camp. So having something like this would not break any more game immersion than us carrying a huge log on our back.

    I'm a fan of options, And this would give us just one more option for buildings, And a food source as a bonus.

    John Wooden ~ Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character.
    Benjamin Spock ~ Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by aliksteel View Post
    I think people are trying to bring the real world in here a little to much.
    It was meant as a joke for exactly the reason you mention, but not the reason you said it.

    Also, Trenix, it seems you have never played Fallout 3. You should. It's amazing.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyip View Post
    For one you would need some kind of filtration system. So your idea would not work. You might be able to raise 1 catfish in a barrel. But no more. They would get sick in such a tight space anyways if you have alot. I don't see how you say a pond would not work in the game. Yes it would prolly be difficult to do, but could be done. You dig a hole and fill it with water. But fish in a barrel would not work. They would all die in a day or 2.
    You do not need a filter, it's just a game. Too much realism ruins gameplay. An underground pond will be difficult to make for the fact that it will be difficult to turn water into a container. Digging up the pond would be logical but logically you'd need to cement the bottom so you could contain the water. The most productive way to store objects would be through a structure. Maybe if you make an underground pond a structure, that you first must level the terrain for it in order to have it built, it may very well be possible. However actually digging up the pond will definitely seem difficult.
    "Corruption is nature's way of restoring our faith in democracy."
    - Peter Ustinov

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by trenixdecease View Post
    Digging up the pond would be logical but logically you'd need to cement the bottom so you could contain the water.
    Interesting concept here. I like it. I'd just like to point out that cementing the bottom of the pond is not neccessary to retaining water. I am not familiar with the real-world geology of Utah, but where I live, under the top soil you quickly find red clay. When we make drinking ponds for the cattle, after we dig out all of the earth necessarry, the clay pretty much holds in the water. Ah, heck, to make a long story short, Within a one mile radious of my house there are several dozen ponds, none have cement bottoms, all hold water (but some will go dry during long droughts).

    Anyway, like was said previously, it is a game, so it doesn't matter to me honestly how it's implemented, but I think it would be a nice addition.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •