• Leave it the way it is

35 38.89%
  • I don't care at all! Stupid toolcrafters... :-D

10 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Needle

Metal Needle

Hi everyone!
    I just discovered the Recipe "Metal Needle" and was kinda surprised by the ressource needed: Small Metal Plate!
    Wouldn't it make more sense to use Nails? Or Metal Rods? Making a Needle from a Plate seems rather unlikely having in mind that there's Nails and Bolts and Rods which are formed like a needle already and only need to be sharpened and get a hole on the other side...
    So here the poll:
    Change it to Nails?
    Or Rods?
    Or Leave it the way it is?

Wanted to add another option for voting: "Something else, elaborate please"... so just vote number 4 and post if you like :-D

Ever try to drill a hole in a nail? Imagine if you have to do it with a chisel.

You use a small metal plate because it is easier to make that hole and then cut it to the size of the needle you want. Then it is a simple matter of sharpening it. Making a needle out of a bolt or nail is much harder.

I think Moon is correct on this one, much less trying to file down the rounded edges of a screw.

its not that bloody hard to drill holes in curved objects, it would be MUCH easier to do that then to create a nice round object out of sheet metal, unless your going to roll the sheet, in which case explain to me just how your going to drill a hole in a nice flat object and then turn it into a needle?

Quote Originally Posted by dokdok View Post
    its not that bloody hard to drill holes in curved objects, it would be MUCH easier to do that then to create a nice round object out of sheet metal, unless your going to roll the sheet, in which case explain to me just how your going to drill a hole in a nice flat object and then turn it into a needle?
    Did some research.

A metal sheet is thinner then 6 mm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_sheet) the smallest sized Glover Needle (Needed for sewing leather) is 0.58 mm (http://www.jjneedles.com/products/Bu...r-Needles.html) so it should be easier to use a metal sheet, but that is only in the best case scenario :P.

These needles are probably the size of a pencil. bone needles are not anywhere near tiny.
    TokTok - Axe Welding Basket Weaver

This is my favourite thread. It was started in January, and still up and running, people keep voting. That clearly shows that one of the biggest problem in Xsyon is that what material metal needles should be made of.

From a gameplay perspective the plates are a better choice IMO. Nails have their niche as Arch items, and they are in high demand there as most recipe take like 40-60. Plus we already have metal pins requiring them too.
    I haven't found a use for plates yet besides some tools.

My thoughts on it are like this.

How hard would it be to put a hole into a nail or a bolt? Im thinking pretty hard.

How hard would it be to put a hole into a metal plate? Pretty ez, you can use a knife, a chisel, a nail etc.

What Im thinking you would likely do is, put a hole into a plate, then cut off the excess metal, then file it down using the hole as the area for the tip. I dont see how you could put a hole into a nail or a bolt easier than that.
    MrDDT

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    -Sun-tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    This is my favourite thread. It was started in January, and still up and running, people keep voting. That clearly shows that one of the biggest problem in Xsyon is that what material metal needles should be made of.
    The biggest Problem in Xsyon must still be debated until this needle predicament is resolved.
    TokTok - Axe Welding Basket Weaver