Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    crafting with different types of logs/branches/etc

    Currently, if a project asks for logs, you have to add all the same type of log, same with branches. Could we please make it so any kind of log can be added? Unless this is intended so that different types of logs differ in amount of HP's for, as an example, a wooden pallisade. Even then, a Wurm style of mechanic could be adopted, and have the last log added determine the type of wood the project is.
    Kinslayer
    Co-Consul

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join Us

  2. #2

  3. #3
    I disagree, something tells me that models will change based on wood type eventually. The Wurm Online system is flawed for realism, while realism isn't always the best way, the way it currently is will encourage people to be more organized. During an apocalypse, you'd want to be organized. Also, there is a reason we're able to stack objects such as sticks, wood, ect.
    "Corruption is nature's way of restoring our faith in democracy."
    - Peter Ustinov

  4. #4
    Maybe for less "sophisticated" structures, you could use any type of log/branch etc... Overall though, it would be nice to be able to use any type, cause something tells me, if model does end up changing based on wood type, it wont be for a long time, so what does it matter really. It's hard to balance a game around realism without stepping on customers toes, turning what should be a game, into a grind. If we want to get down to the "real" nitty gritty of realism , then I should be able to place any type of tarp I want to ontop of any structure I want, simply because it's possible, it's also possible in real life to nail a cedar plank to a pine plank, or tie a strap around a cedar log and a pine log.

    If someone were to pass by a wall in game, that you used 5 cedar logs, and 5 pine logs, but the wall looks like maple... Is anyone really going to care or stop to ponder if the person that made that actually used maple logs? doubt it.

    The same can be said for tailored products.

  5. #5
    Exactly my point Mezeahn. If Im crafting a piece of shit lean to tent, made of crusty looking fabric and sticks and branches, why do all the branches have to be from the same tree? It just makes for bad gameplay, cos of adding to the grind.

    Dont let Trenix bother you though, he generally disagrees with everything everybody says except himself, and only his own ideas, the many many many ideas of his, are any good. It is certainly never a surprise to see him disagreeing when I open the thread to see his post.
    Kinslayer
    Co-Consul

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join Us

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Meziahn View Post
    Maybe for less "sophisticated" structures, you could use any type of log/branch etc... Overall though, it would be nice to be able to use any type, cause something tells me, if model does end up changing based on wood type, it wont be for a long time, so what does it matter really.
    Types of wood matter, as they did in Wurm Online. If we wanted to be realistic, certain woulds would deteriorate faster than others. That being said, how would we calculate all of that based on a structure that used various types of different wood? It's a waste of time and seems problematic. Sure we can not worry about it for now, but the problem will come later in the future. I also don't believe it is right to allow disorganized people put together a structure without a concern. Get to know what types of materials you are using before you put something together.

    Quote Originally Posted by Meziahn View Post
    It's hard to balance a game around realism without stepping on customers toes, turning what should be a game, into a grind.
    The realism I ask for is restricting you as a game to be organized, which you should be. It also mentions the conflicts that can occur overtime once a system is created for material types, which seems soon. Such realism is required...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    Exactly my point Mezeahn. If Im crafting a piece of shit lean to tent, made of crusty looking fabric and sticks and branches, why do all the branches have to be from the same tree? It just makes for bad gameplay, cos of adding to the grind.
    Read above on my first response...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    Dont let Trenix bother you though, he generally disagrees with everything everybody says except himself, and only his own ideas, the many many many ideas of his, are any good. It is certainly never a surprise to see him disagreeing when I open the thread to see his post.
    Removed this paragraph. Lets get real here guys, get your act together please and stop this bashing each other. ~GuideXaphan
    "Corruption is nature's way of restoring our faith in democracy."
    - Peter Ustinov

  7. #7
    All I gathered from that post is you want the game to force everyone to be organized, which is fine, but only when i'm able to plant what trees I want, where I want, like I can in real life (for the most part) Don't assume this was a call for change simply because we don't want to be organized, the problem is, is that we haven't been given the proper tools to be allowed to make a choice between the two, and that sir, IS the real problem.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Meziahn View Post
    All I gathered from that post is you want the game to force everyone to be organized, which is fine, but only when i'm able to plant what trees I want, where I want, like I can in real life (for the most part) Don't assume this was a call for change simply because we don't want to be organized, the problem is, is that we haven't been given the proper tools to be allowed to make a choice between the two, and that sir, IS the real problem.
    To be honest, I agree with the whole tree planting thing. That's at least one feature Wurm Online did that was right. Yet, you do have a choice of what tree you cut and what type. You also have the choice of what branch you pick because of the tree that it's under. It could take some traveling, but you do have a choice. Trees also don't respawn yet, do they? If that feature is turned off, that doesn't call for a change, just be patient.
    "Corruption is nature's way of restoring our faith in democracy."
    - Peter Ustinov

  9. #9
    Of course, the OP didnt ask for directions on how to collect the same type of lumber, I think we all know how to do that, although it took me months to figure it out.
    Kinslayer
    Co-Consul

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join Us

  10. #10
    I agree with this idea and it should be expanded to all things that are similar, like fabrics. Im making a cloth tarp for a tent. In an apocalpyse i want shelter, i dont care if its all polyester or wool or whatever bullshit. Different types of the same item should be stackable. If you want to complain about the different types of woods etc making different things, do what wurm did and whatever finished the item is the type. So if a cedar brach is the last added, the item is cedar.

    Its not convenient at ALL nor is it realistic to sort through a dozen different fabrics so i can find 4 identical ones.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •