Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Variaties of cloth extremely hard to manage.

My tribe has gathered a lot of cloth- 3 large baskets worth. We have a serious issue though- we can't effectively stack them. Because there are so many colors and materials of cloth, we're having an extremely hard time stacking them, when they all look the same. We tried doing it alphabetically or grouping by color, but it was just so much stuff. And as the materials need to be exactly the same to craft (as in, if you need a stack of 3 cloth to make something, you can't combine color or material), its a huge issue to not be able to stack because of the large variety.

The problem is, I can't find a solution besides an 'autostack' ability. I don't want to cut down on the variate, its awesome to have that! But its a severe hindrance in its current state.

an auto stack would be amazing. It would definitly make the inventory management a lot more... manageable

I second the auto-stack. I for the same reason as Otomotopia... cloth! Especially scraps!!!

A box somewhere around container windows would be awesome. Put the item in that box and if there is a similar item it puts it in that stack. There also needs to be a way to split stacks.

Obviously this would be good but really I think they're going to have to reconsider how material properties and stacks work and perhaps even inventory.

Naturally materials that have identical properties should stack. But how many properties will materials have? We see with wood there is the wood-type. And with bones there is the animal they came from and bone type. Cloth has color and material type. What other properties will materials have? Haven't I read something about quality level or is that only for finished items like tools and weapons which can't stack anyway?

If materials and resources are intended to have their own quality level you've now added another property that needs to be kept in a separate stack. And depending on how quality is determined (Low/medium/high? 1-10? 1-100 with decimal places?) inventory management could become impossible.

I'm not sure what the easy solution is. Either get rid of the properties or else implement a different inventory system that groups similar items intelligently. Wurm has something like this but that inventory system has its own faults.

Prehaps remove all colour types and have only grey which can then be dyed using berries that can be foraged?

How about implementing a shelf that can be built by carpenters, and placed indoors. Shelves can have the sole purpose of stacking material, with limits of course, but higher limits than that of a basket. Perhaps a shelf would allow much larger stack sizes for a start.

We also really need a viewable properties window for all items in game. I would love to see the properties of the item, as well as the name of the crafter on crafted items.

Also, as mentioned above, we really need a way to split stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    How about implementing a shelf that can be built by carpenters, and placed indoors. Shelves can have the sole purpose of stacking material, with limits of course, but higher limits than that of a basket. Perhaps a shelf would allow much larger stack sizes for a start.

We also really need a viewable properties window for all items in game. I would love to see the properties of the item, as well as the name of the crafter on crafted items.

Also, as mentioned above, we really need a way to split stacks.
    I will say this on the tooltip suggestion i keep hearing about. I have long been a fan of the "no more information then the material its made of" school of thought. However, since Mortal Online, I have honestly tired of it. Its one of those things that sounds great on paper, but in reality it just creates more work for players without adding any real fun. So here here for tooltips. As far as the cloth delima goes, I say just remove the colors.honestly, the stuff is coming from a scrap heap, how much color would be left in there anyway. It would all be faded and stained.

Quote Originally Posted by vier View Post
    Prehaps remove all colour types and have only grey which can then be dyed using berries that can be foraged?
    This helps a little but only for cloth. And as soon as you dye the fabric it will have to go in its own stack. I guess if you're not dying stuff and storing it rather than using it right away it will be easier to manage but really it would serve the game better if inventory management was reworked somehow. That's not simple thing obviously so I'm not sure what's going to happen.

And the dyes themselves would all need to be in their own stacks.

I move to that a fixed grid inventory scales horribly to items with many individual permutable properties which all require their own stacks.