Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building

Building

What kind of houses can we build? Will there be preset buildings or do we have a more free system?

I'd suggest something like this:
    You first terraform the land so it is flat. Then you place a floor. Around the floor you place walls. and on those walls above the floor you place a ceiling. On the ceiling you can either build a roof or another floor.

With this kind of system you can have a wide diversity of houses and also have multiple floors, balconies,... which I think is more interesting then having a bunch of preset buildings
    It also means you don't have certain types of buildings, you decide what your design is used for (Regular house, a tavern or maybe a guild hall or a temple).

(Between writing and posting this thread I took a two hour break and might have forget something, say if anything isn't clear :P)

Re:Building

TangerineSky wrote:
    Best way is to do it like wurm, only more user friendly.
    The way I suggested is similair to wurm, except that you can add multiple levels to your house :P

we're not sure if the server can handle something like that, I never thought that terraforming will be possible in MMO with "normal" graphics. But I was wrong, I guess we'll just see.

Well being nothing but an above average ape I don't think our buildings to start will be all that advanced but in the future we can only hope to have more exotic build types.

Thorbrand wrote:
    Well being nothing but an above average ape I don't think our buildings to start will be all that advanced but in the future we can only hope to have more exotic build types.
    I don't think our characters will be so far back that they forget how to build a simple wooden two story house :P

I think it is going to be more like mud huts and tents at the start.

Chocobot wrote:
    I don't think our characters will be so far back that they forget how to build a simple wooden two story house :P
    Yes they will. For a "simple" two story house you need to known how to cut wood, make nails, make tools, known how to use all those. For a two story house you would also need to known how to make a pair of stairs to your second story and above that you need known how to build in properly without it collapsing duo to weight (especially the second floor!)

Let's put it this way. How many people on these forums would known how to cut wood, mine ore and refine it, then make tools and nails and use those to make a one story wooden building?

Seems to be more realistic though that people find pieces of wood, put then next to each other in a square and put over it a blanket, or find a tent someone left around.

Redus wrote:
    Chocobot wrote:
    Yes they will. For a "simple" two story house you need to known how to cut wood, make nails, make tools, known how to use all those. For a two story house you would also need to known how to make a pair of stairs to your second story and above that you need known how to build in properly without it collapsing duo to weight (especially the second floor!)

Let's put it this way. How many people on these forums would known how to cut wood, mine ore and refine it, then make tools and nails and use those to make a one story wooden building?

Seems to be more realistic though that people find pieces of wood, put then next to each other in a square and put over it a blanket, or find a tent someone left around.
    I do. Especially making nails. That part is the easiest. I watched a blacksmith make nails for 2 hours and now I know how to do it.

Chocobot wrote:
    What kind of houses can we build?
    Tents, huts, and concrete sewer pipes. Check the screenshots