Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feature suggestions.

Constructive criticism welcomed.

First off, I am very impressed with the basic features of Xsyon, and the fact that the developers are being so interactive and proactive in finding ways to improve a great foundation for their game.

I've done a bit of thinking about what the 'ideal game' would be, for me, and what appeals to me and why. Xsyon definitely has a lot of features which would be in my 'ideal game' list.

PvP -

I've been alive just under 25 years, and in that time have never been in a physical fight (that I can remember). Although I am physically fit and above average height, and in no way limited by my body, weight or size. I have, however, been in situations where fights could have broken out. How I've avoided confrontational situations is mostly by reading body language and knowing when the situation is getting out of control.

So my idea is:

Have signs of an incoming pvp attacks with body language/emotes/weapon drawn.
    Let me explain.

In the real world, no one walks around town with drawn weapons, if I saw a guy brandishing his weapon in public I would most certainly try and keep away, unless I wanted the confrontation. However if I saw a person with weapon drawn in a forest or bush, I would be more inclined to approach them and ask what they were hunting or gathering. Having approached them and I see their face tells a story of past miss deeds or bad intentions, I have the option of running for safety before having to face confrontation.

This sort of game-play could be achieved by having a system as whereby people's intentions are questioned in-game.
    Take the previous scenario of me and a person with drawn weapon in the forest/bush. If the person with the drawn weapon wants to attack me, they are questioning their intentions. They could have decided to intimidate, frighten, or greet me etc... So this intention of attacking being selected, triggers an emote or such which plays out over a set period of time, depending on a factor of different things. (Past deeds etc... Which should also effect your in-game look, for even more of a heads-up for those wanting to avoid confrontation).

Also, there are rules and laws that are put in place to prevent, people in the real world, from brandishing weapons in public places, these rules/laws are not always followed, but then they are generally enforced by the law enforcers/guards of the public place. This could definitely be used in-game as well. Tribes could have laws preventing weapons from being drawn while in towns etc... (punishment being exiled from the town, if caught?)

Another idea that could help prevent needless unfair pvp would be implementing certain armour traits.

I was talking to my brother, while on a bit of a road trip, and he was trying to pick at all the reasons why pvp wouldn't work, in this game.
    One of the things he brought up is the fact that ranged fighters always have the advantage of being able to stay at range, without being touched, while dealing a tonne of damage.
    I thought about this and when I think back to my history classes, at school, and the days of knights and armour, arrows and projectiles weren't a huge problem. That's because most projectile weapons need to penetrate to be effective. People realised this back then, so they made armour that couldn't be penetrated by arrows.

I've played quite a lot of games where armour has no relation to real life amour, in that it does not prevent the type of damage it was invented to protect. Games that have different types of damage like blunt/piercing/slashing and its respective armour are getting closer to the point.

My idea here is use different types of damage, as above, and have armour that does what armour is meant to do, protect (shoot 100 arrows at a steel breast plate and it's still fine save a few dents, maybe, and the person wearing it is even less damaged than that).
    You developers already sound like you're on the right track with having clothing for comfort and looks rather than stats. As an explorer I may wear light and comfortable clothes as to let me move faster for longer. As a hunter / gatherer I may wear more dense clothing to protect against the weather and even pieces of armour to protect against animals/thieves etc and as a guard/fighter/warrior I would probably wear amour that would protect against weapons and not be too fussed over comfort.

Arrows shouldn't hurt the warrior wearing plate or bone armour, or any armour that would protect you in real life, for that matter.

These are just a couple of ideas that I would definitely like to see in a game. Especially a game such as this.

Lastly, I am going to pre order later this week, I was wondering if my weapon of choice could be a fishing rod and if there is a fishing feature in the making for Xsyon? (I haven't stumbled across any fishing features yet, unfortunately).

I have more ideas, but this is too long already :blink:

Re: Feature suggestions.

Nice post,

Realism vs game balance will always be an issue. On your blunt/piercing/slashing point, I guess I wouldn't mind seeing this factored in, but perhaps only for 75% of damage done, as an example. Having conflict defused because of a paper scissors rock type situation could wreck many otherwise interesting PVP encounters.

Perhaps each part of the Armour having a separate statistic, also, keep in mind armor can be layered from what I remember. For example, having strong bones lashed to your armor like in the right hand main pic, could give you say 25 cutting, 15 blunt, 10 piercing protection.
    -Teotwauki

Click on the picture for more information on the Brotherhood of Change

Re: Feature suggestions.

Teotwauki wrote:
    Nice post,

Realism vs game balance will always be an issue. On your blunt/piercing/slashing point, I guess I wouldn't mind seeing this factored in, but perhaps only for 75% of damage done, as an example. Having conflict defused because of a paper scissors rock type situation could wreck many otherwise interesting PVP encounters.

Perhaps each part of the Armour having a separate statistic, also, keep in mind armor can be layered from what I remember. For example, having strong bones lashed to your armor like in the right hand main pic, could give you say 25 cutting, 15 blunt, 10 piercing protection.
    I don't think it would wreck combat, rather force hand to hand combat in some instances, which adds to the realism of the game. Arrows and projectile weapons could still count for armour damage, making your armour deteriorate or even break over time, with enough projectiles.

In real life most armour stops damage getting to you all together, unless it is broke, or is targeted using the right weapon (for instance a maul would smash plate armour causing it to dent and cause damage to the person wearing it).

Visitor

Re:Feature suggestions.

Armor

Xsyon is not a gear based game. A wide range of armor parts are available and the player selects armor based on play style and appearance more than how stats are affected.

*Part based armor system. All parts can be crafted and customized.
    *Layered armor system for many possible combinations.
    *Armor bulk and material affects player comfort, speed and actions.
    *Variable armor quality and durability for the same armor type.
    *Armor parts can be enhanced.
    * Weapon types versus armor types.
    *Dyeing of armor parts allows for thousands of different looks.

http://xsyon.com/features

Some of the features you want are in the game. Even better right?

About the emote system you were talking about, I really don't know what you mean, but it made me think of an interesting way to "flag" a person. Say if they've been in a fight, there body would be stained with drops of blood for a certain amount of time. That way we can tell they've been in some kind of fight with another player character, things of that nature. Scars, jewelry and things can also give a first impression of what kind of character they may be.

Kush wrote:
    Armor

Xsyon is not a gear based game. A wide range of armor parts are available and the player selects armor based on play style and appearance more than how stats are affected.

*Part based armor system. All parts can be crafted and customized.
    *Layered armor system for many possible combinations.
    *Armor bulk and material affects player comfort, speed and actions.
    *Variable armor quality and durability for the same armor type.
    *Armor parts can be enhanced.
    * Weapon types versus armor types.
    *Dyeing of armor parts allows for thousands of different looks.

http://xsyon.com/features

Some of the features you want are in the game. Even better right?

About the emote system you were talking about, I really don't know what you mean, but it made me think of an interesting way to "flag" a person. Say if they've been in a fight, there body would be stained with drops of blood for a certain amount of time. That way we can tell they've been in some kind of fight with another player character, things of that nature. Scars, jewelry and things can also give a first impression of what kind of character they may be.
    I would much rather it stay a non gear based game. That's why I didn't suggest stats, rather types of armour that could enhance pvp gameplay.

The idea of blood stained clothes is great!

What I meant by emote was... Say I saw a person approaching and wanted to attack, when I select them I am given options, one of them being 'attack'. If I select that, and the other person is good/innocent/neutral, an emote plays out such as: "<Character name> is driven by rage and without any remorse attacks" (or something along those lines). This system would give traders/gatherers enough time to turn and run, or make a decision to fight, however long that time may need to be.

You first suggestion, that a body should tell if the person has done something bad in the last while is a good idea. This is just an other implementation of the flag system, but a more realistic one.

There should however be no hard coded law like the holstering law. This is something the player them self should create and enforce. I agree that Arrows should not be effective against heavily armed soldier.

Redus wrote:
    You first suggestion, that a body should tell if the person has done something bad in the last while is a good idea. This is just an other implementation of the flag system, but a more realistic one.

There should however be no hard coded law like the holstering law. This is something the player them self should create and enforce. I agree that Arrows should not be effective against heavily armed soldier.
    Concerning drawing/holstering. I meant for tribes to enforce their own laws, I was rather suggesting that a drawn weapon should be a sign of an aggressive player or incoming combat, another way for players to avoid pvp, if wanted.

Might I point out that While holstering/displaying a weapon is all well a good your going to be displaying that weapon amongst your own people, so the chances of you attacking your own tribe are slim to none.

As for knowing if someone has done something bad recently, that's what the rep system is for.

Virtus wrote:
    As for knowing if someone has done something bad recently, that's what the rep system is for.
    Does not mean a fysical representation of this would not be interesting. While I do not expect it to be in Xsyon it is food for though and believe this is the type "out of the box" thinking the MMO's do need.

This is an interesting idea that I would like to see explored a bit more. As far as fishing is concerned, here is a discussion that you might find interesting:

general-discussion/941-boats-and-fishing

I hope this helps! :side:

By whicker at 2010-04-12