Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Tredo's map is good, but it's not completely accurate to the game (even before the founders Isle and the southern lake Isle). Still, I respect Tredo for his efforts and posting the map to help new players.

I've done my own map by walking around taking numerous co-ordinates (more than 300 for the lake alone). I would show it, but I'm not going to give up something I've spent months producing. Still, if you want evidence that Tredo's map is not entirely correct I'd suggest zone 937 as a good starting point. On Tredo's map zone 937 is largely water, but if you visit you'll notice it's mostly land and the rivers come in from the south. Also the lay of the land and amount of water is very different in zone 979. Tredo's map does not show features like the large lake spanning across 738 and 698. I could go on, but I think you get the message.

I'm simply posting to back up the comments made by those who say the map is not completely correct. They are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracky69 View Post
    Tredo's map is good, but it's not completely accurate to the game (even before the founders Isle and the southern lake Isle). Still, I respect Tredo for his efforts and posting the map to help new players.

I've done my own map by walking around taking numerous co-ordinates (more than 300 for the lake alone). I would show it, but I'm not going to give up something I've spent months producing. Still, if you want evidence that Tredo's map is not entirely correct I'd suggest zone 937 as a good starting point. On Tredo's map zone 937 is largely water, but if you visit you'll notice it's mostly land and the rivers come in from the south. Also the lay of the land and amount of water is very different in zone 979. Tredo's map does not show features like the large lake spanning across 738 and 698. I could go on, but I think you get the message.

I'm simply posting to back up the comments made by those who say the map is not completely correct. They are right.
    You are correct.. my map is based on the original map that was created on day 1.... the playground has changed since that time... the land mass around the lake has been increased. Instead of moving the myst out... they moved some of the land into the lake. The areas you are talking about are areas that on my map are accurate at the start of the game. The areas you bring to light are areas that have had land mass raised out of the lake and is now dry land... Thank you for your efforts in bringing the areas that have changed to everyones attention. Now about sharing your map with others.... I do understand that it took you months of work to produce a working map that is accurate, keeping it to your self is very fine... but saying that you have it and you're not going to share it.. why even bring it up... makes you look like inconsiderate member of the community. Just saying... why make something, why announce it, just to say... "I'm not going to share it!"

Quote Originally Posted by tredo View Post
    Now about sharing your map with others.... I do understand that it took you months of work to produce a working map that is accurate, keeping it to your self is very fine... but saying that you have it and you're not going to share it.. why even bring it up... makes you look like inconsiderate member of the community. Just saying... why make something, why announce it, just to say... "I'm not going to share it!"
    I agree.

who cares all u need is a dam grid and ROUGH map to get around. u only use it to figure ur position in the world not to locate a red flower in another zone away.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpshot View Post
    lol.

I like how pushy you are even though you are wrong and looking more and more ridiculous.
    this.

when I first started i didnt understand the location numbers. I used both maps to get around. If I was in quadrant (X) from map 1 and kept going the right direction I should enter area (y) from map 2. now that I understand the location numbers i use them instead but having an area map like map 2 is still great. I like to know where the boundries of Genoa are for example

Quote Originally Posted by tredo View Post
    You are correct.. my map is based on the original map that was created on day 1.... the playground has changed since that time... the land mass around the lake has been increased. Instead of moving the myst out... they moved some of the land into the lake. The areas you are talking about are areas that on my map are accurate at the start of the game. The areas you bring to light are areas that have had land mass raised out of the lake and is now dry land... Thank you for your efforts in bringing the areas that have changed to everyones attention. Now about sharing your map with others.... I do understand that it took you months of work to produce a working map that is accurate, keeping it to your self is very fine... but saying that you have it and you're not going to share it.. why even bring it up... makes you look like inconsiderate member of the community. Just saying... why make something, why announce it, just to say... "I'm not going to share it!"
    I have numerous reasons why I am not sharing the map I've produced.

(1) I actually greatly regret the amount of information about this game available already. As a explorer type I think it's a massive pity that so much info is already posted. It it were my game I would have done ALL the testing on a test map and only revealed the real map at launch. I think the initial period would have been much better if we had all joined the game not knowing where anything was. Also there would be no particular advantage to Tribes that are quicker out the blocks. As an older player I remember games where we had to do all our own mapping and I simply love the fact this game has no in-game map. Since I like this feature it would be strange to contradict it with a map of my own.

(2) The game has a competative nature. My own map contains all the rivers in about 1/3 of the map and some major rivers in other parts (do you know how long this mapping takes). Now, I reckon I'll be able to get from A to B quicker than anyone without the info. This increases my chance of survival. I'm not great at twitch PvP but I'm relatively smart from a strategic point of view. I could easily give my map out and in a second my advantage would be lost to everyone (such is the nature of the internet). I may well 'leak' my map at a later time to a tribe (or tribes) of my choice. I could for example use it as a bargaining tool for my own benefits.

(3) Believe it or not. I was also in my post emphasising your own kindness and generosity. I respect your altruistic willingness to help others. I'm sorry that seem offended by my stance.

(4) The final reason I'm not revealing my map is that it is not finished as I would like it to be. Because of the way I produce it it takes a lot of time. It is my intention to spend ALL of the first 2/3 months of the game locating ALL the major tribes (and clans). It is still like a half written book and there is more to do.

The main reason I actually mentioned my map was to encourage people to map their own areas rather than just thinking that the map you produced is 100% accurate. I was trying to encourage more exploring. I'm also 'fishing' a little to see if other people do the same, or if everyone is too lazy in these days of wiki-everything. I'd happily join a guild of cartographers if there are other players like me (for example, I've noticed an incredibly accurate map by someone called Chavoda on the internet and would like to meet him in game).

1: Most people are not able to play these kind of games whitout outside sources. it needs a sertain wired brain to understand it all on its own. outside scources are great for everyone as more people means more fun.
    The game has a map..just gota know were to look. ..see 5.
    2: your not the only one making local or world maps, the adv will be gone before your map is finished, not trying to say its a dumb idea or anyting , it sounds like a nice project to do but the reasoning is kinda..off I may say so ..
    3: yea nice guy/gal helped lots of new folks who else would have gone fustraded.
    4: I would sugest making it a web app. tribes will move, by the time your done all by yourself you need to change everyting again.
    5: ( last part I asume being a 5 ) Well Im here!!! *waves*

Now this is the part were I should tell that there is a actual 100% Accurate map. its just split into hund....Thousands of files. its in your game data map.

Quote Originally Posted by Chavoda View Post
    1: Most people are not able to play these kind of games whitout outside sources. it needs a sertain wired brain to understand it all on its own. outside scources are great for everyone as more people means more fun.
    The game has a map..just gota know were to look. ..see 5.
    2: your not the only one making local or world maps, the adv will be gone before your map is finished, not trying to say its a dumb idea or anyting , it sounds like a nice project to do but the reasoning is kinda..off I may say so ..
    3: yea nice guy/gal helped lots of new folks who else would have gone fustraded.
    4: I would sugest making it a web app. tribes will move, by the time your done all by yourself you need to change everyting again.
    5: ( last part I asume being a 5 ) Well Im here!!! *waves*

Now this is the part were I should tell that there is a actual 100% Accurate map. its just split into hund....Thousands of files. its in your game data map.
    Hi Chavoda, *waves back*

Firstly I love your map of zone 740. I was wondering how you did it so well, but now I guess you pulled it out of the raw data (should have some clever encryption to keep it secret). Anyway, nice work - I mean it! I only mapped the rivers (which I did manually) and that zone for me has 120 co-ordinates checked. Mine is good, but yours is better - boo

The advantage I have gained through mapping (although not huge) will last a little while. For example (one of many possible) Suppose I'm in 942 and want to get to the lake going south in 860 I know exactly which rivers to take which will get me there in the shortest time. Anyone who knows zone 901 will know that the water behaves in a strange way because the stream splits in the downwards direction. Other players might run due west to get to the lake first or due South West as it seems quickest as a crow flies. However, those are not the quickest routes.

I also have mapped the general location of a many many scrap heaps so I can find others quickly if the big tribes are making access difficult. I can also suggest in game places that people might not know where they can find trash.

I have no idea how quickly tribes will move. Now we're back to a single peace server I'm guessing the tribes will be pretty static. So I don't expect frequent major changes. I could be wrong.

Also I still don't agree with point 1. The game could easily include a map but does not. I therefore think it's a pity that people post one. Perhaps I'm just mean but in pretty much all games exploring is crap because there is nothing to find, and if there is then everyone knows about it because it's been posted everywhere. I've heard in Ryzom that people often keep their best mining spots secret, but having only played the game for 2 months I can't verify this.

Also if Xsyon's world was real then people couldn't just drag a map off the internet. They might find one though if they're lucky hidden in the scrapheap (now that would be cool).

I'm sorry if I bug some people that think everything was for sharing, but I genuinely would prefer this game if there were absolutely no Wiki sites. Personally, I have no idea how to built tents and will ask people in game when I want to know. Unfortunately, I know now I could find this info with a few clicks, and if I ask in game some smart-arse will just tell me to stop being lazy and check some wiki site. I hate that.

I guess all other game players like me will soon be extinct. I wonder sometimes why people reading a book don't just google it to see what happens. That's said in jest, but probably people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracky69 View Post
    I'm sorry if I bug some people that think everything was for sharing, but I genuinely would prefer this game if there were absolutely no Wiki sites. Personally, I have no idea how to built tents and will ask people in game when I want to know. Unfortunately, I know now I could find this info with a few clicks, and if I ask in game some smart-arse will just tell me to stop being lazy and check some wiki site. I hate that.

I guess all other game players like me will soon be extinct. I wonder sometimes why people reading a book don't just google it to see what happens. That's said in jest, but probably people do.
    I really like your idea of game exploration, and I second you in your decision and aims.

In this type of sandbox, i feel that some "secret recipes", undocumented features, wildlife and rare resource location, and of course information gathering (clan locations, standings, wealth, alliances, composition ... and global, local, ressource maps !!!) are an important part of the game. Collect all you can, distribute what you need.

Xsyon creators must have the same idea, with a game documentation pretty ... empty, no game maps, some hidden features. I just hope that they will always implements some "new things" without telling us, so we could "invent" it ourselves ingame. When an information is widely spread, it should go to the wiki to help "new" players, but latest cutting edge data should remain one of the greatest ingame treasure.

Trade it wisely !

Many people ask what currency will be used in Xsyon. It's knowledge.