Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re:Does combat include dice rolls or not

Friendly fire will make it very hard to compete for anyone outside of United States due to high ping. It is simply unpractical in my opinion unless there are going to be european/oceanic servers as well. If there is going to be only one server and such arcade combat mechanics will be implemented then it will be only fair to warn people before purchasing that they would have a disadvantage if they do not have very low ping.

tharsos wrote:
    Friendly fire will make it very hard to compete for anyone outside of United States due to high ping. It is simply unpractical in my opinion unless there are going to be european/oceanic servers as well. If there is going to be only one server and such arcade combat mechanics will be implemented then it will be only fair to warn people before purchasing that they would have a disadvantage if they do not have very low ping.
    That isnt true at all friendly fire is about getting people to play tactically and not just running in, sword swinging with not a worry in the world except doing killing the person you have targeted. Ping does not effect this any more than it does any other game mechanic. And im from Australia with a likely 240+ ping so im hardly biased.

Friendly fire and the ability hit multiple people with one swing is a hugely important part of the game, both from a realism and tactics point of view, in fact its one a select few things that Darkfall did right.

I have said this in other threads also, but I will be extremely disappointed if the system is not changed to support this.

However I am very happy that you have a test server that we can test new features on, that sounds wonderful.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

edaw22 wrote:
    Ping does not effect this any more than it does any other game mechanic.
    Ping does effect friendly fire, because in a 2v2 fight with friendly fire enabled those with lower ping will clearly have an advantage. One player will lose against a zerg anyway so there is no reason to ruin small scale combat in order to try to balance the game against zerging. BTW this is not Darkfall and there is going to be a lot less PvP going on. In PvE combat friendly fire is going to be very annoying as well and it is one of the main reasons it should not be implemented.

tharsos wrote:
    Ping does effect friendly fire, because in a 2v2 fight with friendly fire enabled those with lower ping will clearly have an advantage. One player will lose against a zerg anyway so there is no reason to ruin small scale combat in order to try to balance the game against zerging. BTW this is not Darkfall and there is going to be a lot less PvP going on. In PvE combat friendly fire is going to be very annoying as well and it is one of the main reasons it should not be implemented.
    If a player hits his teammate constantly because of a high ping he must have so much lag he is worthless in combat anyway.

If you think FF is annoying you might want to pay more attention to who is infront of you before you press the attack button.

How Lag Affects Game Play

So..how does it?

Latency is probably the most important part of any FPS style game. If you're lagging, you might aswell stop playing it.

Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Dominus wrote:
    Latency is probably the most important part of any FPS style game. If you're lagging, you might aswell stop playing it.
    Depends on your playstyle, I doubt a crafter couldn't do his job because he has 150 ping.

Re:How Lag Affects Game Play

Virtus wrote:
    So..how does it?
    First, you have to go through all of the reasons why lag happens and you can turn that subject into a novel. There is server-side lag, client-side lag, hardware issues, network issues, etc.

It's not really as simple as just asking how it affects gameplay, because there are compensation mechanics that can be used to make things very playable. Darkfall has proven this.

Before they allowed us to transfer from EU (Frankfurt server location) to NA (Los Angeles), I was playing with ping from 172-234 and it was very, very playable in Arizona. Now, I'm at 25-50. Is the latter a noticeable difference playwise? Sure, but not as much as you're probably thinking. DF devs did something correctly with their code/architecture, so I don't see why Xsyon developers can't do the same.

- Also, don't confuse lag with ping. While related, they are not the same thing. -

Re:How Lag Affects Game Play

Its bad? If the latency is bad, thats one thing, but if the server is lagging because of bugs, thats worse.

Chocobot wrote:
    tharsos wrote:
    If a player hits his teammate constantly because of a high ping he must have so much lag he is worthless in combat anyway.

If you think FF is annoying you might want to pay more attention to who is infront of you before you press the attack button.
    Exactly, Lag WILL effect friendly fire but no more than it effects any other aspect of combat.

If your reason for not having friendly fire is because it will be effected by lag, then you may as well drop the combat system from the game entirely cause it will also be effected by lag.

My point is that you cant design a game around the possibility that there will be lag, else you are vastly limiting the potential of what could be an amazing experience.

Instead take lag into consideration when designing features, but dont make it the be all and end all.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us