Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lake Tahoe... Freezing?

I recently did a bit of web surfing and found some info about lake Tahoe freezing over. I was keen to see if, in winter, when temperatures drop, would I be able to run across it in-game.

The first explanation I found told me that lake Tahoe doesn't freeze over due to its large amount of underlying movement. This, not explaining much, I kept looking and stumbled across this quite interesting info.

http://beetlesinthebush.wordpress.co...es-not-freeze/

Just thought I'd share.

Re:Lake Tahoe... Freezing?

It would be cool if the lake did freeze in game during certain seasons. It would also be cool to slam your enemies into the ice and watch them drown.

Palo god wrote:
    It would be cool if the lake did freeze in game during certain seasons. It would also be cool to slam your enemies into the ice and watch them drown.
    Well according to research, emerald bay freezes over sometimes (more than a couple of times in the 20th century). So hopefully they will keep with their fashion of basing the game off of real life and simulate this correctly in-game. Time will tell.

I think Tahoe doesnt freeze mainly because theres to much salt in the water , Perhaps around the edges im not sure , But you are right theres to much underlying movement for tahoe to completely freeze over

r0ss0 wrote:
    I think Tahoe doesnt freeze mainly because theres to much salt in the water , Perhaps around the edges im not sure , But you are right theres to much underlying movement for tahoe to completely freeze over
    Lake Tahoe is a freshwater lake. There are no rivers connecting it to the sea/ocean.

If you go to the link you will see that the underlying movement is a myth (however widespread). And that the cause of lake Tahoe not freezing has a lot to do with its volume being a lot more than its surface area.

Go have a read, it's very interesting.

Well my post was a fail , Hmm intresting , I think the reason heat is stored , is mainly its clarity? , Thus penerating the water deeper to its bed, I dont live in the USA so never been there

r0ss0 wrote:
    Well my post was a fail , Hmm intresting , I think the reason heat is stored , is mainly its clarity? , Thus penerating the water deeper to its bed, I dont live in the USA so never been there
    Definitely could be, that and its volume vs surface (meaning the water on top cools down and sinks, and again... but the process takes longer than a season thus not being able to completely cool all the water enough to be the same 'cold' temperature, allowing the water on top to freeze).

Lake Tahoe doesn't freeze because it's in California, duh.

California.

Grimskeggr wrote:

California.
    Are your part of an elite NASA team? That information was fascinating at the least.

reubenmunro wrote:
    Grimskeggr wrote:

California.
    Are your part of an elite NASA team? That information was fascinating at the least.
    California is on the Earth, guy.