Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Regarding player Inventory and Backpack/Bags?

Hey Xsyon devs and community I have a few questions regarding Inventories, Bags, and Backpacks that I would be extremely happy to get some clarification on.

1. How will the players Inventory be structured?

Will it be a more freeform system like in Darkfall and Ultima Online (I really hope so) or will it be a slot based Inventory similar to Mortal Online, Runescape, WOW etc?

2. How may the player expand their item carrying capacity? Through additional Bags and/or increasing skills/stats etc?

and assuming we can get additional bags, how will these be obtained?

3. Will the character's bags have weight/volume limits? or are they just for organization purposes, and carrying eight is determined only through Strength?

4. How realistic will carrying capacity be? and will it be based on Weight or Volume/Size (or both)?

Any help on those questions would be greatly appreciated.

My Opinion:

Personally I think that a players weight carrying capacity should be determined through stats and skills (strength etc) and this should be fairly realistic or only a little exaggerated. Each individual bag a player has should have a size/volume limit. Thus making people carry their wares/equipment in different bags. As it is quite unlikely one bag could hold and entire inventory worth of gear and items. And of course bags should be obtainable through Tailoring or some other form of Crafting.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Re:Regarding player Inventory and Backpack/Bags?

1. Slot based right now.

2. You can get larger and more bags from crafters.

3. The current bulk and weight encumbrance limits are currently overall. We had a bulk / weight per container, but it was getting too annoying. We plan to go back to this and figure out a better way to implement bulk and weight per container in the future, but it's not a current priority.

4. Overall encumbrance that affects movement and actions is based on bulk and weight.

Are there any plans to possibly switch to a more freeform and immersive bag system such as darkfall and Ultima online in the future?

I have always dislike slot based bags, and feel that a free-form system allows player more freedom to oganize things how they like and it looks and feel more like a real bag.

edaw22 wrote:
    Are there any plans to possibly switch to a more freeform and immersive bag system such as darkfall and Ultima online in the future?
    Yes, possibly.

I personally like the freeform bag system, but a slot / icon based method was more practical to implement for our crafting system and it makes the overall interface more consistent.

It is true that a slot based system is simpler, but i personally think it detracts from the sense of immersion within the game.

As far as making Crafting simpler, I find a free form system is not all that different, as i have experience with both darkfall and Ultima. What it does do make the player value proper organization and preparation, as well as making it seem like you are actually using items to make something and not like you are just making one little slot icon (materials) into another (finished item).

Thats just my take on it. And in my opinion it was one of the only things darkfall sis right.

Visitor

I don't mean to hi-jack or derail this thread, but are mounts able to be equipped with bags? I'm also guessing that carts and carriages, etc. will be implented to move heavier loads later on in the "re-evolution" of man, so I don't expect characters to carry unrealistic amounts of mats and such.

Kush wrote:
    I don't mean to hi-jack or derail this thread, but are mounts able to be equipped with bags? I'm also guessing that carts and carriages, etc. will be implented to move heavier loads later on in the "re-evolution" of man, so I don't expect characters to carry unrealistic amounts of mats and such.
    NP, they are good questions, ones i would like some answers to also.

I personally would prefer the slot based bags/inventory.

I enjoy needing to plan my character, prepare for battle, think things out ahead of time, having reagents, crafting, etc etc, but I don't want to micro manage a mess of icons in a bag :P

I'm really not bothered about how bags are organised (Freeform, slots) but I'm more bothered about what weight will do to you.
    I like Wurms weight system but I feel it's lacking something. I think something interesting to have would be that carrying a lot wouldn't decrease your speed so much, but rather your acceleration. Like you can carry lots of things but it takes you longer to start running quickly.
    Brum, brum.

Cradlejoe wrote:
    I'm really not bothered about how bags are organised (Freeform, slots) but I'm more bothered about what weight will do to you.
    I like Wurms weight system but I feel it's lacking something. I think something interesting to have would be that carrying a lot wouldn't decrease your speed so much, but rather your acceleration. Like you can carry lots of things but it takes you longer to start running quickly.
    I agree with this. It would be nicer to have an intuitive inventory system allowing you the freedom to carry anything but focuses on encumbrance effects rather then restrictions (weight limit).