Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Currency

Acutally, I think you and Yoori are saying the same thing. Perhaps, he worded it oddly. I just had an issue with abstract economic creations. It sounds like something you learn in school for theory crafting, but has no real world (virtual world) applications (no one is going to trade for 4 units of grass if they have it).

And even if currency does somehow exist world (server) wide it will be because of a domination of a rare and needed resource, perhaps gas in the future. If there is only a few locations of it and a few controling tribes agree on a currency you can bet your ass the whole server will honor it.

And as for your examples, even in a Roman times they revered back to the barter system when inflation was so out of control they had to pay their soldiers in the North with food (grain) because wages based on their currency would be worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehralph View Post
    Stop saying it CANT be used because it makes you look uneducated. If you and your tribe dont want to use nails/screws/bolts/rods for currency, then dont, but dont preach about how the most common and valuable items in game cant be used as currency.

In history we have seen resources used as currency. I refer back to Japan and Mesopotamia. And after that gold coins were used, now we use paper which represents gold. So if it has value, and is accepted in trade, then that is the defintion of currency.
    OK, it CAN be used as a currency, I'm not native english, please excuse me. What I wanted to say is that it'll not be practical in a long run and make it vulnerable to manipulation.

I'm aware that resources were used it trade and we changed it eventually to paper bills representing some set value for convinence and we're not using it for any other purpose.

I'm aware that resources were used it trade and we changed it eventually to paper bills representing some set value for convinence and we're not using it for any other purpose.

We are using paper money, which represents gold, because gold weighs a freaking ton and is bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by sionide View Post
    We are using paper money, which represents gold, because gold weighs a freaking ton and is bulky.
    Exatly my point usless item easy to stock represnts a valuable item that is unpractical in day to day use.

I'm not an oracle, I don't know how economy will work and I'm not trying to preach anyone. All I say is my opinion and most probable scenario in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    I said that grass cannot be used as a currency, that's obvious, but it can be used as a based value to compare prices in different regions.

If you want to choose craft items as currency do it, it'll be easier for us to manipulate value of items.

And what I am saying is that base value is an abstrat creation. Even though grass has an intrinsic value to it, it's not a base value. No one in their right mind will currently give you a saw or their tribal land no matter how much grass (pun not intended) you offer them. Hence, for a base value grass = 0.

And you can manipulating the market on crafted items you can, just as the value of gold fluctuates, but it will be hard. Do you know how rare a saw blade is? Sure nails are plentiful, but very needed. As I stated before, rare and useful items will be used until they are not rare anymore or much easier to make.

I totally agree on grass issue, I was trying to find an item that will be common in all areas as an example and it was first thing that poped in my head.

I love to think of different sceniarios how thing may go and I wanted to share them with you. If this is annoying for you I can stop.

All my predictions are based on my experience in games with players driven economy. I was even watching how prices changed during past year and tried to predict how they they will change later. Ofcourse I had all the data in auction statistics I'm not a masochist.

It doesn't annoy me at all. I am enjoying the conversation. And I have no idea how things will turn out either. It will be interesting.

Let's continue then

What I'm worried about is that if we use common stackable item used in crafting like nails or screws(and it has to be common if we want to use it like money; saw blade will be worth a lot of nails) someone(tribe or wealthy trader) will start to buy all the nails he can find. This will create huge demand on "nails" and raise their vaule insanely. Then he can buy all the rare items with it becouse they might reach simmilar value.

It's an absract scenario. It'll be hard to do that and even harder if we won't have global trading system, but it can happen and someone will probably try it.

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    Let's continue then

What I'm worried about is that if we use common stackable item used in crafting like nails or screws(and it has to be common if we want to use it like money; saw blade will be worth a lot of nails) someone(tribe or wealthy trader) will start to buy all the nails he can find. This will create huge demand on "nails" and raise their vaule insanely. Then he can buy all the rare items with it becouse they might reach simmilar value.

It's an absract scenario. It'll be hard to do that and even harder if we won't have global trading system, but it can happen and someone will probably try it.
    But what do they buy the nails with? Your scenario is so abstract because this monopoly youre forming in your head is supplied with imagination money, and people in-game wont just give up their nails and screws for a good imaginary bill. So what if someone finds a way to aquire a lot of nails? We can gather more from scrap, mine metals and smelt (in future), choose a different high yield/low-weight item as currency, or do business with them.

Its a sandbox, and there isnt any way to prevent someone hoarding resources even if we arent using it as currency. My point, dont waste time with the middle man, especially if it serves no advantage. IE $ bills, caps, and coins.

It turns out that this exact type of thread was done before

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...lobal+currency

It resulted in a 10+ page flame war, this has already been talked about to death. Is there really a need to do it again?