Thread: Town vs Tribe

Town vs Tribe

Looking o the feature list and some other quotes about game mechanics it seems to me there is a real seperation between Towns and tribes. Unlike what we usually see in games where onl a tribe can start a town. Is this true? If so, to what extent is the seperation? Can a town change its leaders outside of control from a tribe? Can i create an open town which anyone could join? Perhaps i misread into the features.

Players become registered members of a tribe. 10 players or more must come together to form a town.

As towns increase in membership, they can claim more land and gain town abilities.

Hierarchical political system for towns.

These just suggest that in some instances there might be a seperation.

Re:Town vs Tribe

schragnasher wrote:
    Looking o the feature list and some other quotes about game mechanics it seems to me there is a real seperation between Towns and tribes. Unlike what we usually see in games where onl a tribe can start a town. Is this true? If so, to what extent is the seperation? Can a town change its leaders outside of control from a tribe? Can i create an open town which anyone could join? Perhaps i misread into the features.

Players become registered members of a tribe. 10 players or more must come together to form a town.

As towns increase in membership, they can claim more land and gain town abilities.

Hierarchical political system for towns.

These just suggest that in some instances there might be a seperation.

Thats just what a tribe is, its a town. You can make it limited on who can join, or you can make it open.

Tribe leaders will be able to set rules (laws) for there tribe too.
    MrDDT

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    -Sun-tzu

Then we get into a discussion on land control within a town. If i am allowed to have my own home in a town....how do i get it? Who decides where it goes and how?

schragnasher wrote:
    Then we get into a discussion on land control within a town. If i am allowed to have my own home in a town....how do i get it? Who decides where it goes and how?
    Im not sure, but why couldnt you just drop it down where you choose. If the tribe leader has a problem, Im sure you can work it out with them.
    MrDDT

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    -Sun-tzu

I would assume this means (based on logic as well as developer quotes) that player may make a tribe (similar to a clan/guild from other games), once the tribe has ten members they may make a tribe village.

Once they have done this they may set laws, determine who may come into the tribe village etc.

To those people who say that a tribe IS a town, this doesnt really make sense. A tribe is a group of people, a town is a settlement.

I do recall a developer quote that alluded to tribes=towns but I believe that was just badly written and caused some confusion on the matter.

Please Devs correct me if i am wrong (which i may well be), but this is simply the way I figured it would work and the way that makes most sense.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well i would agree, but i would question it only because of the way it seems the preorder/prelude is supposed to work.

It seems there will be no "starter towns",

1) New player spawn points will be near the existing tribal village of the player's choice.

There will also be spawn locations not near any village for those that plan to spawn and build their own tribe.

Before any villages are built, the player can choose to spawn in one of four different locations.
    That make it clear there is no starter towns. So it seems they want tribes(or towns) to be more open in their recruitment.

I could see a tribe perhaps having dominance over a town, but a town always being left open for joining. Basically not having to be in the dominant tribe to join the town.

Possibly but I dont see it as being necessary to "join" a town, perhaps bind there (however that works) or visit whenever you wish. But I think you will be able ti simply visit a town you will not need to "join" it.

Whereas a tribe you WILL need to actually join to be a part of.

Though none of us really know how it will work until we get in game, so its best off not making any assumptions and just waiting to see, or asking the devs for the answers.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quoted from the thread "Sorry if I missed this", the answer is from Xsyon :

Tribes are towns? There is no guild, Just towns?

Tribes are towns. Correct!

We have plans to have additional sub-guilds within tribes/towns and possibly between tribes, but as this isn't implemented, it's not an official feature yet.

That still doesn't make things clear.

What I'm curious about is, does it take 10 members to form a tribe, or 10 members to start building? Is having buildings the same as having a town, example, I can have three huts where my tribe lives, but until I give it a name and put a totem there, it isn't a town.

I'm not fussed though, I can wait and find out.
    -Teotwauki

Click on the picture for more information on the Brotherhood of Change