Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Cloth is, currently, Ridiculous.

The thesis of this post is the following: "We don't need this many cloth variations, and if they MUST be kept, we need a recipe to create patchwork cloth"

Basically, this stems from frustration involved in trying to create a few tarps for a tepee. I had to get 4 tarps, each one needed 4 cloth blankets, so I needed 16, barring any fails (I failed twice before making one btw). So after scavenging about 15 stacks of cloth and just throwing out the scraps I got, I FINALLY managed to get ONE stack of 4 that lined up in both Color and Material. (I'd like to know how many of each there are, so we can see the odds of actually getting 2 of the same. My guess is : Astronomical)

With my tarp in hand I happily added it to my project. So another 8 stacks later (At least I was quickly getting a large cloth reservoir... and of course filling up my baskets. Good thing I could make more. I tried this on my non-basketry character and it was literally impossible.) So I made my second one, and what's this? I can't add it... That's when I realized I didn't just need to get 4 stacks of 4... I need 16 of the exact same color AND material items. One or the other is not a problem. Both is, as I mentioned earlier, astronomical. I rage quit anything ever involving more than 1 tarp for my entire stay in Xsyon unless something changes at that point.

SO: Are there any plans to alleviate this problem? I really don't understand why my survivor needs to distinguish between cotton and wool, or Polyester and Denim when it comes to making freaking survival blankets, essentially. I can understand the colors although it seems dyes are a far better solution, but I'm willing to overlook the color issue. I think at the least, cutting the amount of weird extra materials in half would help substantially, but if this system is going to remain in place, please please please PLEASE just add a "patchwork cloth" recipe early on in tailoring where you combine 2-3 other materials into one that we can then use on things like tarps. Or any other item that seems to have no effect based on what color or material we put into it.

Edit: Heres other suggestions to fix tarps if you don't want to sort through a thread:
    http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post43105

I like the patchwork cloth idea. I'll think about this.

It is an apocalypse, not a fashion show. Matching colours and material should be an option, not a requirement. Patchwork cloth would be good solution to that.

I already reported this in the tweaks section myself, I like the whole color thing for regular clothing, I mean once you drop down 5 bins its possible to collect enough. but the tarps is the main problem. they just should be stackable no mater what color or type they are. relative to rl , I can use a white linen sheet, a wool blanket and put them together whit sticks grass nails or whatever else i got around. (not that it would hold long..)

Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
    I like the patchwork cloth idea. I'll think about this.
    I am quite glad to see a developer response. Thank you for considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by rixk View Post
    It is an apocalypse, not a fashion show. Matching colours and material should be an option, not a requirement. Patchwork cloth would be good solution to that.
    Basically, this. Making everyone go the extra mile to organize colors/materials not only frustrates us that don't care, but lessens the impact of someone who did when they crafted a shirt or w/e. (although again, I dont think tarps even use the colors, but ideally we will be able to make crappy looking/low quality stuff out of this patchwork.)

I JUST started a similar thread in Suggestions - didn't see this first.

I also talked about Branches. We have the same problem with branches. There are soooo many types of branches and they do not "patchwork" together. In RL if I were going to use branches to make a tent I wouldn't care if I used pine or willow or both at the same time.

Think "quilt" for the fabric. Folks used scraps to make quilts = lots of differnt colors and fabric types were mixed together to create one Quilt.

Leather tarps are just that...leather tarps. They can use any kind of animal and they just go together. So it already works..just need to flip the switch for cloth no?

oh the 'its to hard' posts are already starting.
    Yes fabric management is hard which is why I am doing it. Last thing I want is to be in a game where yet again, everyone does everything because its all easy.

not to mention tarps make great currency...

Quote Originally Posted by FabricSoftener View Post
    oh the 'its to hard' posts are already starting.
    Yes fabric management is hard which is why I am doing it. Last thing I want is to be in a game where yet again, everyone does everything because its all easy.

not to mention tarps make great currency...
    It's not hard, it's just annoyingly time consuming. When you can create a tarp IRL faster than you can in-game something is wrong.