Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why start as an Architect??

I'm failing to see the reason anyone would start out as an architect other than the extra 20 skill points.

Everyone, including those that dont specialize in it, start out with 6 random plans. You dont get any special tools at start, and there never is a fail chance on building. So why waste your one craft specialty at startup on architecture?

Doesn't every other craft you pick get more than the basic 6 recipes if you choose to start with it as your specialty?? If so, why do those of us that pick architecture get the shaft so bad?? Isn't this game heavy around building stuff?? So why does the builder get screwed??

EDIT: Ok I did MUCH more testing on this, and seems I was was wrong - if your start out specialized in Architecture you start with 5 or 6 recipes. If you dont you start with 5 or 6. SO the benefit of taking this from start is 20 skill points and thats it. Am I the only one think thats a bit rough for a craft that has so little you can skill up on that doesn't take a day to gather for? (yes i know some barracades can be done in less than an hour, but is it really the same as a single piece of plastic for a lasher?)

you need to have a certain arch level to build some the higher up stuff, so one benefit would be not having to grind way to many trees to go from 5 to 25. And unless you live by about 60 trees which most ppl won't and gathering the trees farther away will be a pain. So yeah it makes perfect sense if you want to build stuff to not just grind it up from 5. Being able to build limestone walls say on day 2 vs week 2 might mean more to some than others. I do see your point though, if you've got the time you can level anything up, but trees are very limited in every area so it becomes much harder to grind wood than say junk piles.

Quote Originally Posted by river111 View Post
    I'm failing to see the reason anyone would start out as an architect other than the extra 20 skill points.

Everyone, including those that dont specialize in it, start out with 6 random plans. You dont get any special tools at start, and there never is a fail chance on building. So why waste your one craft specialty at startup on architecture?

Doesn't every other craft you pick get more than the basic 6 recipes if you choose to start with it as your specialty?? If so, why do those of us that pick architecture get the shaft so bad?? Isn't this game heavy around building stuff?? So why does the builder get screwed??

EDIT: Ok I did MUCH more testing on this, and seems I was was wrong - if your start out specialized in Architecture you start with 5 or 6 recipes. If you dont you start with 5 or 6. SO the benefit of taking this from start is 20 skill points and thats it. Am I the only one think thats a bit rough for a craft that has so little you can skill up on that doesn't take a day to gather for? (yes i know some barracades can be done in less than an hour, but is it really the same as a single piece of plastic for a lasher?)
    You don't get a set number of recipes. Your number of recipes is largely dependent on your Perception. I've started with over 10 recipes by maxing perception.

Really, I usually start with 80+ perception or higher and I get the same number of recipes everytime. Maybe that is random as well

No, I've tested it several times. Don't put any points into perception, dont get many recipes. Put lots of points into it, get lots of recipes. It's 100% consistent for me.

I always have lots of perception 75-90 and my recipe pool for architect is always 6 the few times i did not start whit a high perception stat i got the same, so you seem to be just lucky shaggy.

This I do not understand.... Archi is based on Intel & Spirit according to the manual...

Quote Originally Posted by Foreseer View Post
    This I do not understand.... Archi is based on Intel & Spirit according to the manual...
    I put 90 into Int and Spirit every time and get 10 recipes every time.

I agree with the OP.......unless something changes, putting 25 points into it is a waste.....

Quote Originally Posted by boomer0901 View Post
    you need to have a certain arch level to build some the higher up stuff
    I would think this would be the (obvious?) answer to the OP.

As far as my tests go, there is no stat that affects # of starting recipes for any skill.