Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by vorg View Post
    I was told that when you disstroy items such as disgarding crafted grind items, they are placed in a discard file and every so often the server uses this info to replenish the piles.
    I believe this is only for the area its dropped in, regardless, piles deplete pretty fast.

we are starting to notice this...with 5 people, we have almost killed a sizable plie near us, clear cut most the trees, and turned the lush grass into brown dirt in 4 days..and still havent gotten much up as far as buildings with it.

I hope the junk mechanic, as well as tree and grass respawn is planned to be tweaked.
    if 5 of us can do that in 4 days in our area, in 4 months the map will be a barren desert :P

Moderation is going to be the key I think. And I see soooooo many lakers are gonna be enjoying thier scrap free lake front property in no time at all. Oh well huh.

You do know, you could start far out and work in on your scrap piles - go for the publics first and slowly work backwards to your tribelands. So many out there are stripping te land tribal out. Eventually your all gonna be forced to walk miles ot get anything, and well, by then everyone around you is going to be fighting for those same resources since they stripped thiers away too.

Moderation. Dont strip every tree on your land right away, flag em and chop just what ya need right now. Designate a couple to pick the scrap of a certain type. Set up and utalize community bins so your not filling 5 different ones with the same thing at the same time for no reason other than to fill them. Talk to your tribes, figure out who is doing what and get some teamwork rolling. Not everyone has to level every craft right away, get a main toolcrafter working, a main tailor, a main builder. Feed them the mats to conserve the consuption up front. Stop pushing for skill gains and work towards community gains instead. It doesn't have to be about each persons progression. Not everyone needs to level everything to max as fast as they can.

Or I guess you can just deplete your resources and have a bunch of fights over the crumbs you have left in 2 months. Meh, I'd think it would be better the smart way, but what do I know huh.

its nothing to do with grinding skills, we are about as layed back and casual "hmm lets toss a tent there, what you think?" type of tribe as you can get.
    we have one of each crafting class and they only do their job when needed, and even a 'community' tool basket so we dont waste items on making un-needed tools.

and bins layed out in cubbies so nothing is duplicated/wasted without knowing it. its more the mass amount of materials you need to make items compared to the ones available..
    example,
    you want to make a wood needle? no problem it takes 1/10th a tree to do it (one small log, to small block, to needle)
    or want to make a metal wall? need 40 bolts, so thats many many junk pile pulls, with some of them giving no bolts, others a couple.
    need 12 tarps for that big tent? thats 48 of the same cloth and color(4 for each trap and all has to be the same tarp type)..that means collecting TONS of cloth to get ONE that finally reaches 48. you can literally clear 1/4 of your junkpile just trying to get the 48 cloth of the same color.

now im NOT saying I think the resources needed is too high, I think some things needs 'more' time invested actually..I ENJOY the slowness and determination it takes to make a nice looking tribe area..and the time it will take. it gives the game more playability longterm

Im just merely stating that if 5 guys that play this as a form relaxation, stand around and chat, randomly get items and make stuff can do that in 4 days...think of what they big 15-20+ tribes with a drive to build as fast as they can will be doing to the area if it doesnt replenish.

Not sure if this actually works or not , but it is somethign i am testing atm .

When i'm collecting specific items on a junk pile , instead of pulling 4 times from the same spot and turning it to dirt , i'm doing 3 pulls , then moving , and getting that last pull .
    So far i've not turned a spot into dirt , but its hard to say if i've ended up back on a spot i've already done 3 from .

Quote Originally Posted by galagah View Post

When i'm collecting specific items on a junk pile , instead of pulling 4 times from the same spot and turning it to dirt , i'm doing 3 pulls , then moving , and getting that last pull .
    So far i've not turned a spot into dirt , but its hard to say if i've ended up back on a spot i've already done 3 from .
    I tried that also.. Pulling 3 times and moving on. At first it seemed to work, but hours later when i hit the same spot, after 1 pull the spot was turned to dirt.

EDIT: Of course it is possible, that the cooldown to reset tile is longer than I was waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by galagah View Post

Yeah I've been trying to test this myself, Not sure if its working or not yet.

And to respond to Warlock there, yeah I know what your saying, really I do. I have nearly depleted a scrap pile solo already from building chief tents pulling cloth for tarps. I wasn't saying you should stop pulling to conserve them, but some moderation should be used if you want the resources to stick around. I think everyone who has been playing a while knows how easy it is to strip everything in no time at all.

Me, I see this as part of the game mechanic, something you need to concider in order to plan your tribes future. If your using moderation and the tribes around you are not, and if you pull outside-in on the resources, in a couple months your tribe will be sitting in a MUCH better position that your neighbors. And less prone to having to fight for the crumbs that are left. Its all up to each tribe to concider this when they grow and build. Some will, some wont. But its not like the game is broken because you have the ability to strip yourself empty. Its a risk just like walking out in the open lands and losing everything you got on you to a PK. And just like that risk, it should be something you think about before you go out there.

As for the piles being deep, yes I agree with this. I would think if it is possible that each time it would dirt now (4 pulls) that it drop in elivation like a lower does in terraform until it reaches a base (level with the surrounding terrain). It would be much more realistic, and more believable. Not to mention give a better idea of remaining resources to the tribes controling the piles. If you see it go from a huge pile to a medium one in a week it may be time to talk to your people and look at branching out to other piles for a bit if you have some around. This is all part of being a tribe leader though, some tribes will have good leaders who manage these things, some wont and will pay for that later on.

I totally agree. its what we plan on doing once we saw how fast we was eating up our area..just concerned for the playerbase conflicts down the road as a whole. for every tribe trying to do that, there is 3 not

and yes, that was my point exactly about the piles..now a "wow that looks like a whole building fell there, its like 10 feet tall!" doesnt really have that much in it. the whole visual aspect of "man look at that 50 dump trucks full of trash they managed to claim" doesn't mean anything. now gauging a piles amount is about how wide and long it is..not how much it seems to have in it