Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Better Crafting System - Automated or Manual?

I was playing many MMO sandbox games and every single one had a similiar crafting system. Some got more complicated, other had more items and devices which often resulted in messy extended crafting menus and sub-menus.

Me personally i don't mind to click too often or press the key, but i'd like to see some of the tasks automated or partially automated, like making arrows, imping...

What is Your oppinion?

Re: Better Crafting System - Automated or Manual?

For me, it depends entirely upon the game's economy. If production is solely a time sink to prohibit mass, uncontrollable, inflation then I don't see much of a problem with automation as a hard control on production. On the other hand, if trade is primarily player-to-player via vendors or personal exchange, and a control for production exists at the resource level rather than the production level, then I'd greatly prefer manual production granted that it comes with the complexity of production most manual systems offer (such as customization of individual items). It means a more complex crafting system, naturally, and is usually far more rewarding for the crafters and economists out there because manipulation of resources becomes the real issue over standing in front of some crafting station with a macro running. Though ultimately, even with a well thought out resource control and crafting system, it just comes down to what you gain from manual crafting that automation can't provide.

To put it bluntly, a crafting system where the only prohibition to production is time investment plainly begs for automation. Such a system is easier to implement and maintain, but a manual system with all of the frills is infinitely better for the game economy, and therefore the level of interaction and manipulation players have with the world. Ideally, I'd hope for the latter of the two. Pragmatically, I expect the former.

Re: Better Crafting System - Automated or Manual?

Id prefer manual crafting to be in game.

Re:Better Crafting System - Automated or Manual?

Well the manual labor in requiring resource is the still the same whatever it goes automaticly. The only game so far I can remember that has automated production is SWG and it was pretty time consuming keeping your building working perfectly. Gather all the resources and get them back.

However would be great to see some automated buildings down the line. However not something we can make, just some old building that are left over and we discover how to operate. However they should be rare and worth fighting over :laugh:

What about ammo, surely we can craft in packs like x10, x20... In wurm every single one has to be made and imped separatly

To this date I would say SWG had the best crafting/housing/city system of any MMO, and I hope Xsyon takes some of their ideas cause it's really an amazing system.

Korvos666 wrote:
    To this date I would say SWG had the best crafting/housing/city system of any MMO, and I hope Xsyon takes some of their ideas cause it's really an amazing system.
    I say SWG for it's setting and Wurm for it's own. Wurms is brilliant, simple yet complex.
    Brum, brum.

i prefer manual crafting based on resources and production buildings.
    i don't like automated queue-based systems like that of Fallen Earth at all.

VowOfSilence wrote:
    i prefer manual crafting based on resources and production buildings.
    i don't like automated queue-based systems like that of Fallen Earth at all.
    But, I love the way FE does the resources, Where many types could be used for one part of the recipe. So I hope you will be able to do at lest that in this game.

John Wooden ~ Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character.
    Benjamin Spock ~ Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.

Valdemaros wrote:
    What about ammo, surely we can craft in packs like x10, x20... In wurm every single one has to be made and imped separatly

I still think Wurm's system would work well in this game too. Guns are not going to be used all that often, not like you can just keep firing into a group with guns.

If you have to imp them all that would make it so you can have high damage rounds without having them common place.

I think that would be best IMO, and you can later find that round and imp it again.

I would really wish its like Wurms system for crafting only with a better UI and maybe some animations that are cooler.
    MrDDT

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    -Sun-tzu