Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thievery

Xsyon Citizen

Thievery

Those familar with me would expect such a question... what kind of thievery will there be?

The standard mugging where one kills/incapacitates and loots, or the more nuanced ghost-up-and-rob-em-blind-before-they-ever-know-ur-there (god I loved Ultima Online )?

Also including (not limited to) locks to be picked, traps to be set, things to be poisoned, people to be stabbed in vital organs, etc
    Have lockpicks, will travel

Re: Thievery

I think you'll be dissapointed.

Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

I saw a lot of supplies on the camp grounds in the pics. Maybe we can steal all the supplies that we can carry. I’m hoping they’re not just for decoration.

Re:Thievery

One of the comments from Virtus said that we could drop piles of resources on the ground (possibly only within our tribes territory) to form stock piles. Maybe we can steal those.

Though I do think some form of stealing would be nice in a sandbox type game. It just needs to be designed and implemented very carefully because as we have seen with MO stealing can get out of control or be unbalanced easily.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am opposed to any kind of thieving in games the unless the risks are balanced between thief and target. This would mean that the thieving can be detected, the thief can be killed easily, and if killed the thief will lose experience. I just don't see any game mechanic where that sort of balancing is possible.

Leader of Ancient Embers at ancientembers.net

Palo god wrote:
    I saw a lot of supplies on the camp grounds in the pics. Maybe we can steal all the supplies that we can carry. I’m hoping they’re not just for decoration.
    Yeah I imagine that there's no fancy theivery system in, it's just "If it's there and you can get to it you can take it".
    Brum, brum.

I would love to see a thievery skill, but it would need to be tied to other skills to balance out. That way the thief would be an easy kill if detected. For example if the thief has to spend a good chunk of their skill cap in thievery skills then they would not be a good fighter. However, I believe the game has a softcap allowing one to learn all skills making balance difficult.

jahwarrior28 wrote:
    I would love to see a thievery skill, but it would need to be tied to other skills to balance out. That way the thief would be an easy kill if detected. For example if the thief has to spend a good chunk of their skill cap in thievery skills then they would not be a good fighter. However, I believe the game has a softcap allowing one to learn all skills making balance difficult.
    There is no hard cap but there is skill decay so it makes it extremely hard to become master of many skills.
    Brum, brum.

Ultima Online had thievery done right.

Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

yeah i would love for thievery skill, it is always a nice add to the games.