Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remember the Paradise Project?

Anyone? I can't even find a trace of it anymore.

Never got off the ground but several ...in fact almost all of the features of this game were promised to come in The Paradise Project.

First heard about it years ago. Doing this from memory so forgive me if it isn't 100% accurate for details.

Premiss was that a self serving scientist had tricked Earth into sending a colony ship filled with specially selected and trained children (who had literally been purchased from their parents) who would grow up on the voyage to a new planet maintaining the ship.

His real intention was that the ship would detour or crash on some sort of anomoly that he had discovered.

The game opens as the survivors of the crash begin to emerge and explore their new home using only the things they could scavenge from the crash and create from newly discovered resources (plants, animals etc.)

The devs promised that the first person to discover or create something could name it and that would become part of the word database.

Except for the setting, the two games sound very similar.

I am excited because masic and I are mmo gamers from way back and have often hoped that an open, persistant world...that would grow and change depending on the actions of the players would some day become a reality.

Re:Remember the Paradise Project?

Xsyon does seem to base a lot of what it does on player actions which is great.

the whole discovering and naming thing sounds like it'd fit very well into this

hint hint Xsyon

i think i might have heard of paradise in the past, bleh thinking of Xsyon doing that would make me rage quit the internet
    Quote Originally Posted by Luculus View Post
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.
    Give a man a fishing pole....and he can kill bears with it.

Xsyon Citizen

Maybe the "paradice project"="xsyon" ..

Ever seen them in the same room together..?

:P

A lot of games in development are based on the same ideas. What sets them apart is how they execute the content based on those ideas.

Xsyon Citizen

Pal god that is vary true...

I think alot of gamers have relatibily the same idea of what they would like to see but how it grows and developed...that is what matters in the end isnt it.

masic

masic wrote:
    Pal god that is vary true...

I think alot of gamers have relatibily the same idea of what they would like to see but how it grows and developed...that is what matters in the end isnt it.

masic
    The problem with most game developers is that they try to please casual players by watering down their game mechanics and then the game usually becomes too watered down and no one wants to play.

Xsyon Citizen

I sence shades of SWG here..yup.

ABOVE all dont give in to the whiney i wana be everything super-god heros. A quality game that makes you think and work and has a higher loyal subscriber...provided the story is refreshing and new things can be discovered or created...

masic

masic wrote:
    I sence shades of SWG hear..yup.

ABOVE all dont give in to the whinny i wana be everything super-god heros. A quality game that makes you think and work and has a higher loyal subscriber...provided the story is refreshing and new things can be discovered or created...

masic
    Yep, wanna be able to discover new things that make a difference in the world. Unlike any other game I have ever played, I want to be unique and have the possibility to experience unique content.

I do realize that the resources needed for a COMPLETELY unique experience make that unlikly...at least for now..but I can dream!

oh wow that sounds cool. Starting off totally new on a virgin world after a ship crash.

That name thing would have to be moderated though. Otherwise you'd have people that would discover something new such as a common ore and name it "Penis" or something vulgar like that.

Ivan Streptovsky wrote:
    oh wow that sounds cool. Starting off totally new on a virgin world after a ship crash.

That name thing would have to be moderated though. Otherwise you'd have people that would discover something new such as a common ore and name it "Penis" or something vulgar like that.

[strike]Edit[/strike]