Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need for item descriptions in game

either a mouse over description or right click for description would work. Its just kind of irritating not knowing anything about an item I make or find.

I'd like to see that and a way to title bins so its easy to see what they're being used for without having to open them.

Two totally different ideas, if i had to choose between them I would go with labeling Bins rather than having the entire game handed to me on a platter.

I would be all for descriptions, if they made them table-top RPG style with observations based on skill set/attributes. For example a fishing rod found by someone with no fishing skills would read:

This item appears to be a wooden rod of some sort, most likely a tool<toolcrafting>, it is made of an unknown wood <logging> and has some string and a hook attached to it. Based on your observations of the item (Intelligence), it would appear the item is a tool used for fishing.

And of course if you had a high fishing skill it would simply read:

This is your standard oak fishing rod, good for catching trout and smaller fish (fishing), etc. etc.

This I think would be very helpful, without actually giving away much more then most people could surmise with just common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear5732 View Post
    I would be all for descriptions if they made them table-top RPG style with observations based on skill set. For example a fishing rod found by someone with no fishing skills would read:

This item appears to be a wooden rod of some sort, most likely a tool<toolcrafting>, it is made of an unknown wood <logging> and has some string and a hook attached to it. Based on your observations of the item (Intelligence), it would appear the item is a tool used for fishing.

And of course if you had a high fishing skill it would simply read:

This is your standard oak fishing rod, good for catching trout and smaller fish (fishing), etc. etc.

This is think would be very helpful, without actually giving away much more then most people could surmise with just common sense.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by Juztiz View Post
    either a mouse over description or right click for description would work. Its just kind of irritating not knowing anything about an item I make or find.
    Make observations and write them down. Share your observations with your friends / tribe or keep them to yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I like Bear and Trees ideas the best.

I like Bear and Tree's ideas the best as well. This would be a great idea for in-game, maybe doing shift+click the item would make a message appear in your chat box in the same text of the crafting stuff and maybe on the screen.

I like my Idea as well

Easier to implement Trees though with just a notepad in game.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpshot View Post
    Two totally different ideas, if i had to choose between them I would go with labeling Bins rather than having the entire game handed to me on a platter.
    Handed on a platter and annoyance are two different things. This is a computer game. Not a top research institute.

If crafting is supposed to entail creating unique variations of the same item, how is anyone going to know what to charge for it? Is it better than the last thing created? Should I use this grass helmet or that grass helmet? (I could be wrong about the unique part, which I thought was based on resource quality and crafting/attribute skill.)

Grass helmet A

Highest quality / Pristine durability (or whatever those 2 labels are)
    12% slashing resist

---

Grass Helmet B

Highest quality / Pristine durability
    16% slashing resist

---

If the % is not shown... How are you supposed to know?

If I'm wrong about the unique part, crafting is going to be incredibly stale. Most items will be the same if grass armor is simply more resistant to slash and leather armor more resistant pierce or whatever.