Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

87 66.41%
  • No

44 33.59%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Badaboom View Post
    It depends on the skill rate decay. Otherwise no. Darkfall is a perfect example. Given enough time a dedicated crafter will be a be able to most everything, even with a soft skill cap. It would be nice to have dedicated crafters of a chosen profession dotted around the world.
    I agree, skill decay needs to be a realistic factor.

What sort of happened in Darkfall is people didnt see the skill system taking so long to conjure as an indicator that one should focus on a specialization rather they saw all possible skills mostly as a requirement and then QQ until the skill progression was lowered. Now in all fairness, macroing had a great deal to do with that system problem

Quote Originally Posted by tredo View Post
    Basic items I do agree with... this will get any player solo or otherwise started... basic items are just that... basic, not allot of knowledge needed here. As you get to items that require more detail and a better understanding of the trade skill, these items would require you to have put some points into the skill to get it to a needed level of learning to get a successful created item.

That's my 2 cents
    I also feel this is a good idea.....

I agree... access to all main skills is fine. The decay just needs to be strong enough to force specialization.

What you select on character creation shouldn't be a final "class" you should be able to do everything but only some at the same time this is what the skill decay system is for I would assume.

To master all crafts and keep all the skills at that level (given the skill decay system), you'd probably have to scavenge and harvest 24/7 for the entire time that you play the game.

There's no sitting back and saying: "Ah, now I've mastered them all, I can relax and become rich..."

Besides, junk piles can be "exhausted" (do they ever regrow ?), and iirc there won't be any junk piles after Prelude. That would imply that we'll have to start mining and smelting to get metals, boil animal bones and urine to get chemicals (e.g. ammonia), pulp wood to make paper, etc. Good luck with maintaining ALL craft trades at maximum level in that kind of scenario...

Really why not just make it 1 point instead of 5 then? Then you technically "have" all the skills but you still need to level them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontaze_Mebro View Post
    Really why not just make it 1 point instead of 5 then? Then you technically "have" all the skills but you still need to level them up.
    I think this is the way it works now.....

Let's say you need a saw and you have a high quality saw blade and the recipe to make a high quality saw but your toolcraft is 25.

would you want to make the saw yourself or have an actual master tool crafter make it?

I am ok with it, but there needs to be a skill cap implemented now, not later.

You cannot go back and implement a skill cap. It's something that has to be done right out of the gate.

See Darkfall = no skillcap = really really bad.

There ain't that many skills at launch to start whit..if we go by the old UO limmed of seven skills ...who has done all skills to 99 yet? seven of them.. thats a huge amount of time needed nobody done it yet.

The soft cap (decay) will ensure people will not have any more then seven or so skills maxed. maybe someone who has no job due to rl stuff and spent all his time in game might be able to master a skill more but who cares really, they do spent insane amounts of time. .. as its now its perfect.

If decay aint active at launch (not head start but launch as planned) its not a big deal either due to the small skill pool we have currently. taming,mining,blacksmithing,farming, magics is add to the game its only needed to have the actual skill decay soft cap work.

So my vote, Yes in release all skills , Decay in as soon as possible , between now and the release/unlock to more skills.