Do not limit the amount of players!

This sounds like the darkfall release fiasco, the shop only opening at odd hours and closing in under five min, as well as still having huge server queues.

I think hindering the population is a bad idea.. I can promise you way more then 500 will want to play on release if this game has everything that is being promised.

Also many people wont give a game a second chance.. if they cant buy it when they want too they will never try again, seeing it as if the game doesn't wont my money then ill spend it else wear. This could be devastating to population and to the potential income of Notorious Games leading to the firing of developers and the ultimate closing of the game servers.

So ill say it again, do not limit the amount of people that want to play your game! It will only hurt in the long run.

Re:Do not limit the amount of players!

bartillo wrote:
    This sounds like the darkfall release fiasco, the shop only opening at odd hours and closing in under five min, as well as still having huge server queues.

I think hindering the population is a bad idea.. I can promise you way more then 500 will want to play on release if this game has everything that is being promised.

Also many people wont give a game a second chance.. if they cant buy it when they want too they will never try again, seeing it as if the game doesn't wont my money then ill spend it else wear. This could be devastating to population and to the potential income of Notorious Games leading to the firing of developers and the ultimate closing of the game servers.

So ill say it again, do not limit the amount of people that want to play your game! It will only hurt in the long run.
    it'll hurt them even more if their servers crash or huge queues happen because the servers are overloaded with players
    Quote Originally Posted by Luculus View Post
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.
    Give a man a fishing pole....and he can kill bears with it.

bartillo wrote:

Your OPINION is noted =P

My OPINION is that having 1000s of people trying to log in, and play at the same time causes more problems than the other problem of having a few people get in and have less problems.

Its like beta testing, you dont start beta testing with 100k people. You start small, and work up til its more and more stable.

Having 1000s of people play and say OMG its crashes every 1 hour, is going to have a worse effect than if 1000s of people have to wait.
    MrDDT

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    -Sun-tzu

bartillo wrote:

You are totally correct about Darkfall being a fiasco, however, despite similar posts being made even as the sporadic accounts were being sold, DF's attempts to limit population didn't really stop anyone from trying it who wanted to...just delayed them.

No offence, but using the claim that people will only give it one shot and leave never to darken the door again is a bit melodramatic(sp).

If someone...any true gamer, is REEEEELY interested in a game, been waiting months/years for it, they don't give a darn about things like that...they will...as I did..whine and complain the whole time they are rearranging their lives to be home when the store opens up for those 5 minutes just to get a chance to play it.

If indeed, they give it only one shot..then why would the devs care because that player will come and be gone before their electronic signature hits the EULA anyway.

At least Xsyon had the courtesty to explain BEFORE pissing off thousands of frustrated credit card holders. :side:

Maybe they should have a longer beta period. Maybe with free open beta period to, you know, test the servers to see how they stand up to lots of players.

We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. To close now to change it all around.

Although, In most cases (all that i can remember) its exactly what your saying

Every business has limits.

This company is small by all accounts, and likely does not have the financial flexibility to contract for more than a small server footprint.

However I imagine that they HAVE set up agreements to expand their server footprint if their subscriber base warrants it.

Since I'm not a financial expert or a gaming demographics expert, I'll not even try to go into details, but any small company that wastes too much money on capacity that they do not need ends up losing flexibility.

I would greatly prefer that they start small and build gradually, rather than risk starting big and flopping.

I can understand the devs decision to limit the players.

Darkfall and Global Agenda were both hugely hyped games. See what that did to them?
    Release day was chaos. No1 could play. Nerds were raging. Servers and forums were down.

Starting small is a smart move.

Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

The devs have limited resources and canít take everyone. a reasonable person would let a limited amount of people play instead of having everyone wait 2-3 days just to log in.

I think having a controlled launch is a great idea. Like quite a few others have said, there is no point in letting everyone in at once only to have the servers crash and burn evert hour or so. I just hope I dont have to wait to long to play