Experiance for Gathering

Hi There,

I just joined the Xsyon community one week ago, so I'm not sure if that has been asked before.

There is no special skill for gathering, so its always an action I dont like to do very often. All other actions give me more skillpoints and experiance for my level-up.

I'm not sure if gathering is going to be a skill too in future (maybe for cloth, metal, plastic and leather) so that good gatherers need less time and get better quality things. At the moment, everyone can gather, so there is no need to "learn" it or to specialice on gathering metal, cloth or something else.

But I would also like if gathering would just add a nice amount to the experiance bar. So you dont get skillpoints for any skill, but at last you can rise your level by working, and rise other skills with it.

I fail to see your logic in refusing to gather. I gather because I need the materials. Same thing for foraging, scavenging, fishing, logging, etc. I get more skill gains from performing a skill rather than leveling. This isn't a level based game where you get more hit points as you level.

If I need some plastic, I can gather a bundle, sort it and get four bits of plastic. Scavenging the same would take an hour or more. After gathering, I can use the materials to craft and get skill gain, the item I crafted, and maybe a new recipe.

By your logic if you didn't gain running skill by running you'd mostly stand in one place all day.

Quote Originally Posted by thurgond View Post
    I fail to see your logic in refusing to gather. I gather because I need the materials. Same thing for foraging, scavenging, fishing, logging, etc. I get more skill gains from performing a skill rather than leveling. This isn't a level based game where you get more hit points as you level.
    Actually, according to the game manual you do gain hp as you level.

And @ the OP if you don't want to gather don't gather.

Adding rewards for something you're already rewarded for (ie you can make stuff with the mats you gather) it redundant and unnecessary.

Sure it would be great to get XP just for logging in, but not needed.

What I mean is, that other gathering actions got skills, like fishing, logging, scavening and so on. so you got the feeling you get better by doing it.

In a big tribe, there are sometimes people that just gather, while others do the crafting. So the crafters get better skills and experiance for their level, while the gatherers dont get any level or skills gain. Thats why I just thought to give even Experiancepoints at least, so even people who spend their time with gathering get some skillgain.

Otherwise, everyone want to be a crafter, but I really like gathering. But not if I dont get any skills out of it or feel like I'm evolving somehow

I actually agree with the OP, I didn't think about the exp gain but he is correct. I originally thought scavenging was tied to getting metal/plastic/cloth/leather from junk piles, but I now see that there is no skill associated with this action... the only similar action in the game like this is gathering grass.

I think all actions should be associated with some sort of skill (hell, running, jumping and swimming are) just have the exp gain be very low.

Junk piles should increase Scavenging, Grass should increase foraging.

**edit** forgot about a few other resources in this same group:

Kindling - Logging?
    Stone - ?
    Sand - ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dereknor View Post
    Otherwise, everyone want to be a crafter, but I really like gathering. But not if I dont get any skills out of it or feel like I'm evolving somehow
    I'd rather say instead of making roles where someone gets exp and others not, you have to gather what you need for your own crafting. If I was in a tribe that appointed me to a gathering role only, my mastery of gtfo would increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorakin View Post
    I actually agree with the OP, I didn't think about the exp gain but he is correct. I originally thought scavenging was tied to getting metal/plastic/cloth/leather from junk piles, but I now see that there is no skill associated with this action... the only similar action in the game like this is gathering grass.

I think all actions should be associated with some sort of skill (hell, running, jumping and swimming are) just have the exp gain be very low.

Junk piles should increase Scavenging, Grass should increase foraging.

**edit** forgot about a few other resources in this same group:

Kindling - Logging?
    Stone - ?
    Sand - ?
    Spoken like a true DF'er. I agree tho, +1 i suppose.
    A Nomad I will be for life, in love with Captain Kirk

[QUOTE=iraclear;48177 If I was in a tribe that appointed me to a gathering role only, my mastery of gtfo would increase.
    [/QUOTE]

Specialization and division of labor is what allowed human societies to emerge from hunter/gatherer into permanent settlements, thus creating the basis nearly all societies are built on.

Just sayin.