Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1

    He who plays solo.

    I was wondering, how do you people perceive the role of the solo-man in Xsyon? IS there a place for the solo-player in this game?

    My plan as a solo-player was to find a piece of land high up in the mountains or deep in the forest, far away from the big tribes. There I would do my thing, and once in a while wander into a village to trade my products. I have tried this the last week, and it does not work. Why?
    - there are no secluded far away pieces of land... the map is not that big, and you run into campfires and tents everywhere. I wonder what will happen at launch, if more people join. Could become crowded?
    - junk piles. You can't live without them. There are quite a few big ones, and the big tribes have gathered around them. I have found only 2 or 3 little junkpiles in the wild where a soloplayer could feed from.
    - you could argue that the pvp would be a problem too. After all, a single juicy target with no tribe to back him up sounds like a perfect target. Could be...

    So, the way I envisioned soloing is near impossible. Now I wonder how you guys think about the art of soloing in Xsyon. Can it be done? Should it be done? Will it be done?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by SotekOne View Post
    I was wondering, how do you people perceive the role of the solo-man in Xsyon? IS there a place for the solo-player in this game?

    My plan as a solo-player was to find a piece of land high up in the mountains or deep in the forest, far away from the big tribes. There I would do my thing, and once in a while wander into a village to trade my products. I have tried this the last week, and it does not work. Why?
    - there are no secluded far away pieces of land... the map is not that big, and you run into campfires and tents everywhere. I wonder what will happen at launch, if more people join. Could become crowded?
    - junk piles. You can't live without them. There are quite a few big ones, and the big tribes have gathered around them. I have found only 2 or 3 little junkpiles in the wild where a soloplayer could feed from.
    - you could argue that the pvp would be a problem too. After all, a single juicy target with no tribe to back him up sounds like a perfect target. Could be...

    So, the way I envisioned soloing is near impossible. Now I wonder how you guys think about the art of soloing in Xsyon. Can it be done? Should it be done? Will it be done?
    People will try, but realistically, soloing as good or neutral player is no option in Xsyon. I believe there are mainly two reasons for that:

    1. You'll spend most of your time outside your safe zone. There are a lot of players that will kill every player-controlled pixel whenever they can.
    2. There's nothing in the mountains that the people at the junk piles need. Therefore you have nothing that could be used to trade against stuff made from junk piles.

    You can have some modest success as solo or small-squad player killer though. Go around and kill gatherers or crafters and loot them dry as much as you can carry. When you're encumbered you attack someone and let him kill you. Sure, you might lose a bit of what you got in the other fights but with the rest of what you gained you get an instant free ride back to your home base.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
    1. You'll spend most of your time outside your safe zone. There are a lot of players that will kill every player-controlled pixel whenever they can.
    Doesn't make game unplayable solo. Challenging? Yes. And quite fun at that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
    2. There's nothing in the mountains that the people at the junk piles need. Therefore you have nothing that could be used to trade against stuff made from junk piles.
    Obsidian, for example.
    There are some remote scrap piles as well, or at least scrap piles located where medium-large tribes will not settle due to ammount of land available. Admitedly those are rare and hence have quite a few soloers moving onto them. Which in return causes some fights and usually ends up in small coops or even small tribes.

  4. #4
    Xsyon Citizen Phayz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fredericton, NB
    Posts
    62
    Additionally most of the animals will be in the hills so to speak, bones and hides will be in demand, chalk, and who knows what lies in the furture
    I intend to solo myself, but not terribly far away from civilization, to trade etc...

    should be fun, a achallenge for sure, but worth a shot, if it doesn't work out, I am sure there will be a tribe somewhere for me

  5. #5
    i don't understand... why play a mmo if u wanna play in solo? just play in a singleplayer game offline and u solved all problem...

  6. #6
    Xsyon Citizen Phayz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fredericton, NB
    Posts
    62
    Just because you choose to play as a soloer, does not mean you do not interact with the community for trade, alliances etc..If i wanted to play a single player game I would. I want to play in this particular MMO as a solo survivalist, not really unreasonable, and as I said, community interaction is still important.

    I know it's hard to understand, but don;t worry, it's my dime

  7. #7
    I'm hoping that by the moment junk piles get exhausted there will be mining implemented. This would mean that the areas around the lake lose their value and mountain areas with lots of ore available become the new "junk piles". This will be a very interesting scenario, since the big tribes have already put a lot of effort into building their towns near junk piles. Maybe there will be some tribes splitted into lowland and highland branches, or maybe some interesting alliances.

    Personally, I play solo near the lake, I managed to get a nice enough spot for my homestead on some unclaimed junk piles. True, gathering was and will be exiting and dangerous, having to constantly look around for PKers and be ready to run back to safety. Time will tell what I'll do after the junk piles are exhausted, maybe I'll pack up my stuff and head to the mountains.

  8. #8
    Xsyon Citizen
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Germany ... NO U!
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
    i don't understand... why play a mmo if u wanna play in solo? just play in a singleplayer game offline and u solved all problem...
    Sorry for not playing a sandbox MMORPG not like you.

  9. #9
    HAHAHA...looks at your join dates...

    Whats the new term? Hermit? Prefered Loner....

    Whats wrong with this...I just hit Suppior in Leather....aye were gunna get wiped but I;ll still out beat ya on the list...

  10. #10
    I would say that the lone player might not be viable early on in the game. But we know that 'the world' will be expanding as The Green receeds. As that happens, 'the rugged individualist' might become more viable. The large, established tribes probably won't want to pick up and move - not once they've begun to establish their infrastructure. (Some will, but I doubt all.) So that will leave all that new, unoccupied territory open to a new generation of Mountain Men - solo-ists who can easily pack up and move once civilization begins to encroach. Just as it happened in the real world.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •