Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by mindtrigger View Post
    I consider an 800+ page book a wall of text, and I still read them. It took me about two minutes to read the OP. Maybe if you read instead of taking the time to post TLDR and the other substance-free comments you made since, you would have got through the whole thing.
    reading stuff like the sword of truth series or the massive raymond E feist collection is fun and i have done multiple times each because their interesting. spending any amount of time reading a post from someone playing a game i care nothing about on the forum of a different game is wasted time, threads about Xyson issues or matters i will read

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsarugii View Post
    reading stuff like the sword of truth series or the massive raymond E feist collection is fun and i have done multiple times each because their interesting. spending any amount of time reading a post from someone playing a game i care nothing about on the forum of a different game is wasted time, threads about Xyson issues or matters i will read
    Actually what was said in the OP couldn't be more relevant to this game, because if the advice isn't heeded, the same fate will befall Xsyon. I posted a shorter wall of text to add my own experiences as well. This is assuming you care about the longevity of the game, which you very well may not, and that's cool too.

i absolutely loved crafting in the original SWG, every few week going out hunting down resources of different planets for the best combinations of stats and setting up extractors, but also then going out and excercising my combat skills doing the same on beasts so i could harvest skins/meat/bones, was amazing fun

Quote Originally Posted by chizal26 View Post
    i absolutely loved crafting in the original SWG, every few week going out hunting down resources of different planets for the best combinations of stats and setting up extractors, but also then going out and excercising my combat skills doing the same on beasts so i could harvest skins/meat/bones, was amazing fun
    It still amazes me to this day that the resource system alone in SWG was an entire gameplay line. Remember the people who had businesses where all they did was harvest and mine? I was a contract hunter myself, as a Master Ranger. I had a list of crafters that needed high end items, and they would send me orders. I would keep track of where the good stuff was and made a fortune getting it for people. I don't think you can do this unless you have dynamic resource spawns with dynamic stat quality though.

Shadowbane, imo, got the theory of an end game 100% right for the PvP crowd. Sieging, territory control, even open field PvP was mostly done very well and the massive level of character creation, group composition, and siege strategies made sure there was always something new to try. Character tweaks and updates were just icing on the cake that gave new characters and groups a fresh twist. Unless you played for years with a solid guild, there was always some new idea to grab your excitement. 4-5 years in we were still coming up with powerful new builds or group strategies that no one had ever tried.

What was missing though, was non-PvP activity. No one can siege every day (at least not for more than a few weeks), and even fun and rewarding open field combat won't always be what you're in the mood for. I'm pretty bloodthirsty when it comes to gaming, and I still found myself wishing there were things I could do when I just wanted to idle in game while I half watched a movie. Aside from just wishing there was more that I could do, ultimately the lack of PvE/Crafting in the game led to the mass egress of the less hardcore players. Those that were left still had fun for a long while... but no game can have a 0 attrition rate and you've got to have some new people coming in.

In order for a game to succeed long term in a market where there exists a giant such as WoW, imo it needs a solid mix of necessary but consequential PvP (consequences driven by the player, not rule sets) as well as a niche for those less into PvP to fulfill that is still very necessary to the success of the guild as mentioned in the OP. We may have been very siege warfare oriented, but we still had players who either weren't that stellar at it or weren't that interested... but that would go out and farm the gold we needed to fortify our cities and pay for our wars. They would have loved being the kind of people that would spend their time learning crafting and making those hard to find items with resources the guild fought over and acquired... and knowing that the weapons that they made won us a fight or kept our city from burning would have been every bit as gratifying to them as getting my daggers bloody was to me.

When a game can get both ends of the spectrum down right... PvP that is fun, engaging, and with very solid risks and rewards that allow players to police each other, as well as a solid system of crafting (and to a lesser degree, PvE) that anyone can engage in but requires some one dedicated to it to master you'll find a game that will drag in the thousands and thousands of subscriptions that WoW doesn't cater to. Xsyon seems to be teetering on the verge of getting it right. That's why we're here, giving it the 2 free months as a trial to get a better feel for the direction they're wanting to go.